04 1150 GSA ABS light

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by StuAce, Aug 8, 2006.

1. StuAce

StuAce The Dude minds.

Oddometer:
    So, I havent ridden the bike in a week and then yesterday the ABS warning light comes in. Its the one that has a ! with a triangle around it.

Any ideas on where I should look first?

Stu
  2. keith in alaska

keith in alaska Valley Gruver

Oddometer:
    Make sure your battery is fully charged, then restart the bike. The ABS requires a totally charged battery to be happy. Generally after a 20 minute ride at highway speed the system should reset OK.
  3. StuAce

StuAce The Dude minds.

Oddometer:
    Thanks for responding.

I considered the battery thing. Ive taken on a couple small rides thinking a couple drives cycles would reset it the pcm. No luck.

Heres a funny one--The last time this happened it ended up being the seat of all things. If the latch that locks the seat down isnt made up all the way it brings up the same light. I found this out by accident because I just put a brand new Corbin on. I pushed on the seat a little harder and the light went away. Who woulda thunk.

Any other ideas.
  4. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    dito:thumb
  5. StuAce

StuAce The Dude minds.

Oddometer:
    Well, I'll give it another try tonight. I rode to work today but its only a ten min drive. I'll take the long way home.
  6. beamertwin

beamertwin Paul

Oddometer:
    Check Fluid levels if the light remains on after a full charge. Mine did this untill a dealer in the lower 48 had a tech remove some juice. Check out the battery...is it 'bad'.

Stu, on a side note about fuel filter change...it is a piece of cake if you want to do it. The Iron But directions are great but I used an aircraft cable clamp (size 30) rather than the twin hose clamps. Nice knowing the external mounting is easy to check and replace.
  7. StuAce

StuAce The Dude minds.

Oddometer:
    Well I have one of those new gel batteries--but I could put my meter on it and see what its doing.

Now that the wheels are turning. I put on some new handlebar risers and it changed the angle of my bars. And again now that Im thinking I did unhook my brake and clutch lines to re-route them a little. Maybe I caught an air bubble? I dunno--what do ya think. Would that do it?

Oh, by the way, the risers are great. http://www.adventurersworkshop.com/risers.htm
  8. kootenay kid

kootenay kid Lets Ride

Oddometer:
    Any burnt out bulbs?
  9. keith in alaska

keith in alaska Valley Gruver

Oddometer:
  10. StuAce

StuAce The Dude minds.

Oddometer:
    I put the meter on the battery last night and had 12.8 volts. I dont have any burnt out bulbs.

As far as the seat thing. I could be full of shit there. When I installed my new seat that light came in and when I adjusted the latch to close all the way, the light went away. I guess I just assumed the latch had a switch wired in it. I didnt bother to take it apart to see if it had any wires. Like I said the light went away so I stopped looking.

Crap--I dont want to take this thing to Anchorage. Any other ideas.
  11. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    Checking a battery for volt's is one thing but it need's to be load tested thats the real test.
  12. KL5A

KL5A Bugs are the new black

Oddometer:
    Hook up the voltmeter and watch the voltage while running the starter. There's a certain threshhold voltage that the ABS system needs to see when starting, if it drops under that the system throws its little fit.

Is there a reset procedure for the newer ABS systems?? I had to connect a wire to ground to reset the ABS light on the K bike.
  13. StuAce

StuAce The Dude minds.

Oddometer:
    While home at lunch I put the meter on the battery and gave it a start. I saw the voltage drop to 10.8vdc. This does not seem excessive to me during a start. But I dont really know.

Thanks for your help.