1. eNewsletter Sign Up

04 1150 GSA vs. Family

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by StuAce, Apr 23, 2007.

1. StuAce

StuAce The Dude minds.

Oddometer:
    Here is my dilemma. I had a baby in September, actually my wife did. Anyway, Im having trouble enjoying my GS these days. Riding makes me a tad nervous, to say the least. All I can think about is my baby girl. Im thinking of selling.

So, GWN you are my support group. Please advise.

I suppose this could go in JoMomma but I decided to place it here. Because, If I sell the bike, GWN would get first dibs. And I think I screwed up by sitting on a G650x challenge this weekend.

Stu
  2. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Your call, good buddy. Whatever you think is best for you and those in your life.

I've seen a few people go through this on other m/c msg boards too. I've often wondered if my thoughts and feelings towards riding would be different if I had a child. I'm sure they would be.

Take care. Best of luck, Mark H.
  3. woodgrain

woodgrain In-Dented Savant

Oddometer:
    IMHO, blood is thicker than 10/40. Keep the bike, enjoy the child while you can, they grow up quickly. When you do get a chance to ride between ballet, piano and extra-curricular activities, they will certainly be sweet rides. Been there done that. It's not about being selfish, it's about self-preservation.

Woodgrain
  4. GSA Addict

GSA Addict Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dont sell it, never forget where you came from or how you got there...You will ride again. unless the bike is truley not a part of you, sell it and buy another one in eighteen years.
  5. StuAce

StuAce The Dude minds.

Oddometer:
    All good stuff, thanks. It really is a serious dilemma. I was thinking about getting something that takes me off the highway. Thus, reducing exposure to idiots.
  6. sammy

sammy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I gave up riding about 7 years ago. Started a family, busy with work etc,etc. I just started to ride again. I bought a 2007 KLR last Saturday. When I think of the years I missed. My family will always come first but man I missed a bike and am thrilled to be riding again. It is the ultimate stress reliever. I would still love to ride if I had a totally stress free life though. Man i missed it. The bottom line though is you know best. Hope you make the right decision for yourself.
    regards
    dan
  7. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    If you have those kind of thoughts then you should probley sell. you can't be in that state of mind and ride safe just my 2 cents worth.
  8. StuAce

StuAce The Dude minds.

Oddometer:

Thats a good point, I have thought about that, how it relates to confidence.
  9. northrider

northrider Traveler

Oddometer:
    I can understand that you don't have time to ride. I had (well like you, my wife had them) two boys within a year and a half of each other. There was nothing but working and helping with the kids for about 6 years. That's when I bought a bike and started up riding again. If you are wondering about it then selling might be the best idea, unless of course it's all paid for and you can just let it set for a while. Good luck in the decision and have fun with the little one.
  10. ak greeff

ak greeff fukengreeffen

Oddometer:
    you cant take all the uncertanty out of life. you can try to limit your exposure. idiots are everywere, you could just as easily bite it in your cage. i believe when its your time to go, its your time to go. enjoy life to its fullest until that time finds you.:rilla
  11. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    plus 1:thumb
  12. Wheeldog

Wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't think anyone can give you an answer one way or the other. Look deep into yourself and go what your "gut" tells you to do. I quit riding in the mid '70. Didn't think too much about riding till '00 when I got a strong urge to ride again and bought a bike. Been having a blast since.:D
  13. TRACTOR RIDER

TRACTOR RIDER No Rules Gruver

Oddometer:
    I quit riding sold my CBX to a friend when my little girl was born. got the CBX back a few years ago and the bike is trash.

Keep your bike, ride only if you feel good about riding it or don't ride it at all.

Man and Machine have a strong bond.

Never as strong as FAMILY.

TR:huh
  14. KL5A

KL5A Bugs are the new black

Oddometer:
    That's always a tough one, balancing your passion for riding against the responsibility for your family....and riding does expand your exposure to danger to a huge degree. We try not to dwell on it, because if we did, no arguably sane person with any sense of self preservation would ride a motorcycle.
    Of course, given the present state of the law, the finances involved and the possibilites of disaster, the same could be said for raising children, yet it remains curiously popular. :wink:

I'm thinking that most of us who are parents have at some point not ridden, for any number of reasons, financial, pressure from spouse, greater sense of responsibility, but now here we are again behind the bars-and I think you will again find the time and desire , but for now, you have entered a whole new chapter and this one is going to occupy your thoughts and time for a while. Maybe you should think about getting something less expensive that the GS, something that you won't feel guilty about leaving sit for a while until you sneak out for a quick ride on a warm summer's eve.

If nothing else, remember what all of us say about riding.

"We can quit any time we want!" :D
  15. paulmondor

paulmondor Iceman

Oddometer:
    You are born into this world with an entry ticket and an exit ticket. No matter what you do in between, you WILL leave at your designated time. The actions you take or the behaviors you adopt in between those two points will only determine how you will live. Not when you will die. So based on this, you might die a billionaire or a criminal on death row. But make no mistake about it. You WILL die on that predestined moment.
    When the clock rings DING!!! And your time has come to punch out, you will leave. Ready or not!:freaky

That is my thought

Paul "Iceman" MOndor
  16. StuAce

StuAce The Dude minds.

Oddometer:
    Thanks fellas, its always good to hear you're not alone. Ive talked to quite a few people about this and almost everyone has hung it up at one time or another.
    I have been weighing all the variables in this. My wife is supportive, I dont get any guff from her about riding or even owning the bike. However, she does worry. From a financial aspect Im not struggling but it would put me in a good spot if I sold the bike. It really just comes down to me and how I feel about it. I think I'll sleep on it a few days.

Thanks again.

Stu
  17. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Raising children is likely a symptom of the curiously popular part.

This is a pickley issue, Stu. I certainly have been bikeless for a time or two while my kids were growing up. I think it had more in my case with being flat ass busted than anything else but whatever choice you make you can always change.

If you want to peddle the bike though; the time is now. Fall and winter are not big bike moving months.
  18. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    "I woke up this mornin' an' I got myself a beer...... 'cause the future's uncertain and the end is always near...."

J. Morrison, Roadhouse Blues
  19. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think Mike made a good point here. Others have offered that when it's your time to go - you go, with no opportunity to cancel the flight. But how about crippling injuries? Those are even more likely than death. Not only can that affect your income earning ability, but also your enjoyment of your kid(s). Believe me, as a great-grandfather I am familiar with the amount of energy it takes to keep up with young'uns. :eek1

While all of us on this forum are expected to really enjoy riding, and some can claim addiction (but not me, I can quit anytime :wink: ), as your little girl grows older, you'll find that there are things that can give you as much pleasure as riding. You only have so many years to enjoy your children, and they don't deserve to have to share you with your "mistress" during that time. Trust me - you'll never regret the time you devote to your children, even at the temporary expense of something you love doing. When she's a teenager, you might find that it's time to get a bike again - so you can ride together.:D
  20. AKBMW

AKBMW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 13mo old at the house.... Anybody have a side car forsale:evil Honestly if we sell now we will ride again it's in our blood. The cool part is our kids will be running with us.