'04 640R Headlamps

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Happy Pants, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Happy Pants

Happy Pants KTM 990 Adv UK

Oddometer:
    Surely can't be the first to ask this....

I find dip beam is ok but when on main there is no light spread in front of the bike - can I link both main and dip when on the main beam setting to get the best of both or will I blow something up ??

If this has been covered before I'd appreciate a clue to a previous thread

Cheers

HP
  2. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Take the rocker switch appart and notch it so that it stays on "between" the two... then you get both.

And... good on ya' n00b for filling out the public profile. :thumb
  3. fire_strom

fire_strom Long timer

Oddometer:
    i've been thinking bout this too. any reason not to? heat?
    scott
  4. hoeligin

hoeligin 640 Adv

Oddometer:
    You could do what I did, I did this a while ago, works like a charm, no problems. see below (hope this works) I will also attemp to add pictures....! (How the hell do you add pictures?)

First thanks to dwsmith. (I think he wrote this?)
    1. On the high beam light there are two running lights mounted internally, power is run via the bottom of the light. These lights are on all the time regardless of the highbeam being active or not. I began to think how could you make both lights work while on high beam preventing the low beam from switching off. I found the solution with the two bulbs on the high side. The photo below show the factory lights running in normal use high beam off but showing some light due to these two lights

2. I realized that these two bulbs run all the time via the KTM fused circut. Since they run all the time and really have no benefit when the high beam is in use I felt that the power to these lights could be run to the low beam side allowing the low beam to remain on regardless of the high\low switch position. In addition the low beam power could be run to the high side to ensure these two internal lights would be lit during low beam useage. Upon turning on the high beam they would shut off just as the low beam once did. Below is a photo of the wire swap. Note on the KTM both set of wire have a brown wire, this is ground. The hot on the high beam side is white, on the low beam light the hot is a black wire. As you can see in the pic I swapped the wire, brown to brown, white to black and black to white.

3. The nice thing about this swap is the switchs work as they did before, even the quick finger trigger for a flash still works as intended. Below is a pic of the final outcome with the high beam on and the low still working with out switching off. The overall benefit is the ability to have the wide low beam on and pencil high beam for those nights running through the desert, forests, or streets as needed.

5. MotoMike

MotoMike Washed Up Desert Racer For The 2nd Time

Oddometer:
    I bought that bike from dwsmith and the light set up does work good. :thumb
  6. Happy Pants

Happy Pants KTM 990 Adv UK

Oddometer:
    Thanks all for the advice - I'll get to work !!