04 KTM 625 SMC Clutch Mushy in 5th Gear

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by infecto, Sep 16, 2020.

1. infecto

infecto n00b

Oddometer:
    Just picked up the bike recently and everything has been great except 5th gear. It rides totally fine in 5th gear and pulling the clutch feels good until I hit 5th gear. Once in 5th gear the clutch for lack of a better way to describe it, feels mushy. Instead of the clutch lever coming out clean it has maybe half the resistance on the pull and comes out more like halfway on the lever. I am going to be draining and bleeding the hydraulic clutch but since it only happens in 5th I am assuming its either something to do with with the clutch itself. Never experienced this myself before, any ideas?
  2. Lewilewi

Lewilewi Ride it like you stole it......

Oddometer:
    Sounds more like your clutch is on the way out...
  3. infecto

infecto n00b

Oddometer:
    Interesting, I really wonder if that is the case. I don't notice it slipping in 5th gear but will test again. The only thing I notice is the amount of resistance in the clutch lever in that gear. I have ridden many years and miles but somehow managed to escape clutch issues. No problem replacing the clutch plates but trying to narrow it down just to make sure. Never had a hydraulic clutch before but I assuming since its only 5th gear I notice the issue it should not be the hydraulic system.