04 or 05 950 both new

Discussion in 'KTM 950/990' started by Two Dot, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Two Dot

Two Dot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So Cal (winter) Montana (summer) NC (spring&fall)
    ok, i need some help here. i have been floating around and think i am ready to take the plunge. can anyone advise on the pros/cons on an o4 versus a early 05. have been an airhead rider for years and all this high tech stuff is very new. all help will be appreciated.
  2. RAGrote

RAGrote Fishin w PICO

Oddometer:
    If you're talking early 05 that would be the EXACT same bike as the 04... If you're talking about the 05.5 then there's some differences.

The 04 is taller with more suspension travel. 20mm? or so.
    The 05 has the gel seat - NICE!
    The 04 will need some Tech Bulletins done - more than likely. This is a dealer issue not a KTM issue. How good is your dealer and the maintenance section?
    They need to do them BEFORE delivery (my standard).

Other than that the 2 bikes are identical.

BTW, the 05 (early or .5) comes with bags - it, of course, costs more because of it.
  3. Gixxer2go

Gixxer2go Just happy to ride...

Oddometer:
    I guess it depends on the quality of the deal, but I suspect your savings may be a $1000 or less? If that's the case, it seems a no-brainer to go with the '05, IMHO. Newer model, more tech services that have already been applied (possibly!), Gobi bags, higher resale value, etc. Of course, if the '04 is orange, and the '05 is any other color, that would tip the scales the other way!! :lol3
  4. Tennktm

Tennktm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My mechanic rode my 05.5 two weeks ago and when he got off of it, he said that he felt like the bike was much improved over the 04 that he had ridden the year before. He said he felt like the tuning and power delivery was much smoother. He rides an 05 640.
  5. SamM

SamM Jeep Overlander

Oddometer:
    ...........unless the 04 he is talking about is an "early release" (USA model) then it would be an 03..........and then I would get the 05 regardless
  6. PeeBee

PeeBee Giant leap for me!

Oddometer:
    Quite a confident mechanic to give an solid opinion on two bikes with a whole year between riding them :huh

Anyway: nothing significant has changed on the motor, apart from some details that have very little to do with things like smoothness. Air filter, carbs, jets, sprockets, it's all still there, AFAIK.
  7. Tennktm

Tennktm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just his opinion....that is all I was saying. He clearly said my 05 seemed to ride better than the 04 that he had ridden.....for all we know, the 04 was not set up right, etc. I have never ridden an 04 so I cannot comment for myself. The 05 does have some improvements, we can all agree on that. The question is, whether or not it is worth the extra $$. I decided that it was since a bike so new to the market is going to get better every year. I am sure the 06 and 07 will be remarkably improved over the 05 models.....but then again, how can they be improved?
  8. Two Dot

Two Dot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So Cal (winter) Montana (summer) NC (spring&fall)
    Thanks and kkep it coming. The 04 does seem to be quite a bit less expensive but then you would have to add in the cost of the bags and gel seat.

How can I tell if the 04 is really an 03???? Much confusion on these years!!!
  9. KTMax

KTMax Ninth of the Nazgul

Oddometer:
    True. Minor technical details. On the other hand, the 05's also have 2 or 3 tech bulletins issued to solve and/or prevent problems that don't apply to the earlier models (which have their own mods & upgrades of course...:D).

Nothing has been changed that relates to performance, power delivery or characteristicks of the engine. Your mechanic just felt the difference between 2 bikes, the model year has nothing to do with it. Or he just wanted to look knowledgeable and interesting, which is more likely IMO. :augie
  10. -r0b h.-

-r0b h.- Motorcycles & Blues Guitar Aficionado

Oddometer:
    Glad to know it wasn't just me then because my 05.5 engine is a lot quieter (and seems to me to be smoother runing) than my buddy's '04 model. He's even made the same observation so I know I'm not hallucinating.

BTW, here are some of the other changes between '04 and '05 models:

CHASSIS
    The suspension travel was reduced by 20 mm both front and rear to lower the seat. With 245 mm of suspension travel for the 950 Adven-ture S and 210 mm for the 950 Adventure, their seat heights could be lowered to a comfortable 895 mm and 860 mm respectively.
    SEAT
    A lower seat with a new contour and better foam cushioning means more comfort and better ergonomics, for the driver as well as the passenger.
    FRONT WHEEL
    Now featuring a 21“ front wheel with a more stable rim for total ter-rain compatibility.
    REAR WHEEL
    The 18“ rear wheel is equipped with a broader rim (4.25“ instead of 4.00“), which results in noticeably better handling and even more stability.
    BRAKES, REAR
    New brake pistons with heat protection provide even more safety, even when exposed to extreme forces.
    EXHAUST
    A new heat shield for the header pipe has been extended toward the back, which means more efficient protection for your legs against the exhaust heat.
    SPLASH GUARDS
    A new splash guard mounted in the frame triangle efficiently keeps water spray and dirt away from the airbox and electrical system.
    VENTILATOR
    MULTI-FUNCTION SHAFT
    A new, flared drive-sprocket helps to further reduce engine noise.
    CLUTCH COVER
    A new clutch cover, tightened from the inside, ensures less structure-borne noise and also reduces the engine noise.
    CARBURETOR
    An additional electric carburetor heater keeps the carburetor from icing up when temperatures are low and the humidity is high.
    VENTILATOR
    A new ventilator hood draws heat away from the radiators better, conducting it outside, thereby reducing the flow of warm air toward the rider’s legs.
  11. Greg Minor

Greg Minor The Trespasser

Oddometer:
    Get the ORANGE ONE :norton
  12. KTMax

Oddometer:
    Yes there are a number of changes to reduce engine noise like the ones described above. The oil-circuit has been changed too for the same reason. It builds up pressure a little faster with higher pressure at idle. Both aimed at reducing engine clatter at startup. There's a new torque limiter for the starter engine too. This one causes problems specifically for the 05 models. A Tech Bul. has already been issued.

But these changes do nothing for the performance or reliability, they just mute some noises. They want it to sound more like a Honda I guess... :lol3

I kinda like the rough and unpolished sounds, rattles and whirring from my 03 engine. Sort of goes with KTM for me. :evil
  13. barbasma

barbasma 100% CAROTONE

Oddometer:
    Sondrio (In the middle of the Alps) Italy
    2005... no way...

is ANOTHER BIKE...
  14. ktmhk53

ktmhk53 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Greetings,
    How does one tell a 2005 from a 2005.5?
    What are the specific changes to the "newer" bike?
    Is there a cutoff range of VINs differentiating the two?
    Or, does it have to do with the release dates from the factory, such as a late Fall '04 shipment vs. a May '05 shipment to the dealer?

ktmhk53
  15. KTMax

Oddometer:
    An easy give away is heat cover on the front header pipe at the right leg area. A small cover on all bikes up to the real 05. A large one extending to behind the frame on 05's.