05 1200GS triple clamp wear...wtf??

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by LordMorgan, Jan 26, 2020.

1. LordMorgan

LordMorgan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My steering was feeling notchy and binding, sometimes the bars would "catch" and pull the bike over to one side when I turned them and the handle bars and triple eould rock side to side about half an inch, so I figured I needed to replace the steering head bearing

Look at what I found when I pulled the triple tree:

0126201824_HDR.jpg

0126201822.jpg

A whole lotta metal worn away, what happened here? The bike has a salvaged title, I got it for a song so I'm not too upset about it, but it looks like it had been in an accident and that may have tweaked the steering head/bump stop up and into the triple tree? Or maybe there was a spacer the previous owner didnt install? What happened here?
  2. LordMorgan

Oddometer:
    Some light googling reveals theres a part that was missing:
    PSX_20200126_192125~2.jpg

I cant seem to find it listed under bikebandit, maxbmw, ascycles, bobsbmw....
  3. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That part is listed as no. 9 on Max's fiche for an '05 model = 31_0529 - UPPER FORK CROSS BRACE.

They don't show a part no. or price, though.

I'd call BBY on Mon. a.m., or else call Max's.
    LordMorgan likes this.
  4. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Looks like someone ground away the steering lock plate.
  5. GS Addict

GS Addict Pepperfool Supporter

Oddometer:
    You said salvage. Front end accident?

The telelever pivot shaft (2) is hollow on the Hexheads and can be bent back which affects the upper cross brace angle and rake.
    I would inspect it as well as the telelever.

Oilheads have a solid shaft (heavier) and are more robust in a front end impact. In their quest to lose weight BMW went to a hollow shaft when they developed the Hexhead.

[​IMG]

If the shaft is indeed bent, you will not be able to remove it by sliding out to the left. A minigrinder with a very thin zipdisc will be needed to cut it on both sides between the paralever and the engine block. There is just enough room to do this. It can then be taken out in pieces after deburring.

LordMorgan likes this.
  6. LordMorgan

Oddometer:
    Ah shoot, I think you're right. I'm going to have to dig into this more tomorrow...
  7. GS Addict

Oddometer:
    Check the joint links (item 30) in post 2 as well. They should be tight to pivot back and forth.
    LordMorgan likes this.
  8. LordMorgan

Oddometer:
    They feel pretty tight to the touch, I'll try sticking a screwdriver through em and seeing how they wiggle tomorrow. What should I look for, just that they're tight but still pivot? Thank you for the good advice
  9. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    That number 90 or on the fiche number 9 sure is a mystery. The '08 doesn't have that part. I'll bet that's what is missing and caused the wear. Looks like a simple spacer. A trip to the dealer will help, have them pull it up on their fiche...someone in parts or service ought to be aware of that oddity 04-07 years.
  10. GS Addict

Oddometer:
    Yes
    LordMorgan likes this.
  11. GS Addict

Oddometer:
    It's a left over from the Oilhead fiches I suspect.
  12. LordMorgan

Oddometer:
    Update: I pulled the lower control arm axle (bmw calls it a trailing arm) and it was indeed bent, but not very much...

0211201702a~2.jpg

I was expecting to see some sharp kinks or something. I'm going to order a new axle ^ but I'm concerned that other parts may be bent too. What should I look for?

Does this telelever arm look correct to you guys? I'm wondering if it's bent or if the previous owner replaced it with the wrong part #

0211201649~2.jpg

0211201650~2.jpg

0211201651a~2.jpg

Attached Files:

13. GS Addict

Oddometer:
    Re shaft: If you got it out it isn't that bent.

The Silver Telelever for 05-07 is a different part # than the later GS(A) 08-13
    The pivot to balljoint center may be different. The only real way to know is to comparison measure or compare part #'s if it is marked.

The head stock for 05-07 is different to later ones as well.
    Maybe a case of incorrect parts swapping? :confused

I vaguely remember BMW changing the rake on later model Hexhead GS's
    Others to chime in?

14. Mr.JAJA

Mr.JAJA Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did the triple clamp change on a 05 1200GS and there where no spacer (#9) on the old or the new one. Check the chrome tubes to. I had one bend and dinged in. I have pictures on the other PC.
  15. GS Addict

Oddometer:
    BTW: the cracked/broken ball joint boot is available from Beemer Boneyard
    LordMorgan and JimVonBaden like this.
  16. LordMorgan

Oddometer:
    ahhh geez I was hoping I wouldn't have to pull the control arm but I don't see any other way of inspecting it to find a part number. The fork tubes slide up and down ok, the right one is a little sticky but it goes. I rotated them around and they don't look eccentric to me.

The previous owner had it in a front end accident, and its wearing GSA bodywork and tank, and several people have commented that they didn't know the adventure model was available in 2005... Its possible that a previous owner replaced the damaged parts with later ones that may not jibe quite right with the '05 frame

How do you check the headstock, does anyone know where the part # is stamped? I'd prefer to not have to take apart the entire front end to find it
  17. Mr.JAJA

Mr.JAJA Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    One more think to check on the top triple clamp. On top of the center bearing is a C-Clip. If this is missing than the clamp can slide down. I have a clamp here, will send it for postage. Needs new bearing.
    LordMorgan likes this.
  18. GS Addict

Oddometer:
    Not sure if they are stamped....
  19. LordMorgan

Oddometer:
    Ok plot twist, I looked up the telelever arm (trailing arm) part number on maxbmw's fiche, for an 05-07 it says:

7 680 715 SILVER TRAILING ARM

And for an 06-08 GSA IT says: 7 694 211

So I poked around and snapped a pic of the part number on the arm that's on my bike:
    Screenshot_20200212-205016~2.png

That's 7 664 976. Some ebay listings come up for a '12 GS, but on maxbmw a '12 GS and GSA part number is: 7 706 748

In fact, a search doesnt pull up any results for the part number stamped on my trailing arm... I should probably order a new (used) one with the proper part number, 7 680 715... But i looked on eBay and 3 listings so far that have trailing arms pulled from an '05 GS have the same part number as mine so... Is maxbmw wrong?
  20. LordMorgan

Oddometer:
    Hmm how can you tell if it's in the right place? The bodywork seems to match up fine on my bike. The front wheel seemed a little pushed back...