'05 640 Adventure Tools Question

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Gerg, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Gerg

Gerg The Destroyer

Oddometer:
    Ok, I was messing around trying to cut back on all the tools I haul around. I dumped out the tool kit to see what else I might need besides the "Honker Tire Irons". Surprise, there is no way to get the front axle off!
    640 tool kit
    [​IMG]
    That big honker on the left will do the rear axle but the front is MUCH larger.

Now compare that kit to the 950
    [​IMG]
    Note the two large box ends in the middle, the smaller fits the rear axle, the larger fits the front. the "helper sleeve" is to the right of the two box end wrenches.

So, would you guys who have the '05 check to see if you have anything that'll fit the front axle in your tool kit? Did I get shorted or do we have to haul around a 10" cresent wrench (yeah, like THAT is light :dunno)

Gerg
  2. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    dunno gerg... my 02 has 27mm hex nuts both front and rear. looks like the same tool kit as yours... you got 2 bottle openers. nice :thumb those are a rare find.
  3. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    maybe KTM put the 950 front end on yer 640 and forgot to add the tool to the kit... naw, they wouldn't do that. :rolleyes

luckly you have both bikes and you can toss the 950 wrench in your 640 kit when you ride it eh? :thumb
  4. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    oh shit... i forgot about that. good call meat. gergle has the two disk front (950)... damn....
  5. Trevor S

Trevor S Cap'n Flatulence !

Oddometer:
    Yeah it's 32mm and no I did not get one with my 4 day old '05 640 Adv. See my thread "Christmas in June" where I mention that fact. My solution when I get around to it will be to cut the end of a 32mm spanner and weld it to the end of a tyre lever. I can't believe they give it to you for the "ninefiddy" but not the 640 Adv .. BLAH !
  6. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    my guts tellin me they did not do it intentionally. i like your idea with chopping a box ender. another option would be to ring up a snap on dealer and order an "extra thin" wrench. they are super light... low torque, butt perfect for this job. may cost you a couple bucks, but shit.... you have 30g's worth of ktms in the garage so fuck it.
  7. Trevor S

Oddometer:
    The third option is to see how much KTM want to charge me for the one from the ninefiddy toolkit, I have emailed the dealer and asked.

I would still probably hack it up to weld it to the end of a tyre iron anyway.
  8. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Checkout the other face of the large ring / hook spanner..... should have the required ring spanner welded on... is in my 04 kit kit and......

[​IMG]
    front removed with inc' tool kit spanner.

The only thing you don't get, is a drift to push the axle thru fork legs after loosening pinch bolts.... but I found a bit of stick that did the job :nod

them again, maybe I got the 'special' 03/04 tool kit :evil
  9. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    i use a allen wrench to motivate the front axle out. can't remember the size offhand. my axle has a hex hole for the wrench and you spin the axle with the wrench and it will come out.
  10. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    loaded built a nice little knurled aluminium drift with a step that fits inside the axle for that whackin job. wonder if he should market that? :ear
  11. Gerg

Gerg The Destroyer

Oddometer:
    Nope. that's too small. The front is about 32 or 34 MM. It's huge. Compare the wrenches in the 950 kit (same back axle). I think the 950 front end went on for the 05's. Most of the bits are the same on my early '04 950 as on the '05 640.

The nut on the front axle will allow you to push the axle out about 20mm. That gives you enough room to grab it.(on the 05)

Gerg
  12. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    the allen wrench price point is maybe fitty cent... tough market
  13. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    tough market til you fuck up your axle and find out how much it costs :nod
  14. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    KTM would never fuggup the mix and match tools for different models.... would they?

[​IMG]

:ear
  15. Gerg

Gerg The Destroyer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, you Ausies get all the good shit :nod

That certainly looks bigger than the one I have. I'll bet they screwed the pooch on this one (or all the kits that made it to Amercia).

The bad part is the proper tool isn't listed in any of the parts books:dunno
    I'd hate to think I'll have to buy an entire 950 kit to get what I need (or the Ausie kit like yours :evil)

Gerg
  16. AusieRob

AusieRob Just Gas It!!

Oddometer:
    Gerg,
    Your kit is exactly the same as for my '99 !!!!

Being a graduate of the school of stating the bleeding obvious but any chance you got an old kit and not a '05 (ie same front end as a 950) kit?
  17. Gerg

Gerg The Destroyer

Oddometer:
    I think you're right after seeing the different tool in Brrrap's kit.
    I have the Dealer checking into it. I think a call to KTM NA might be in order as well.

Gerg
  18. Trevor S

Oddometer:
    What ? I have exactly the same toolkit as you on my 4 day old '05 model 640 Adv. The front axel is 32mm and there is NO WHEEL SPANNER FOR IT in the toolkit.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1541846&postcount=5
  19. Gerg

Gerg The Destroyer

Oddometer:
  20. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    :scratch

i just stick the allen wrench in the supplied socket in the end of the axle, like the book sez, and then turn it while gently pulling (ok, sometimes harder) and the booger just comes out (slowly).

can i mess it up this way? :ear