'05 640 Adventure - what IS KTM thinking???

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by davewrit, Jun 13, 2005.

1. davewrit

davewrit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have taken some time to cool down - I was pretty pissed.

Took delivery of my long anticipated (which is anothe issue - why does KTM flood dealers with bikes like 2 strokes that aren't wanted, yet 640's & 950's are tough to get???) '05 640 just a couple days before I left for a trip into the back country in NE Montana (pics to come - had a GREAT time!!). We trailered out with 6 bikes between four guys, another guy was going to fly out and join up with us. I coveted a 640 ever since I rode my friends in Mexico and in Montana the previous year. Now I love my 950, and wouldn't get rid of it, but the 640 is SO much more "off road freindly". Any way, I also took a recent aquisition KLR250 with MT21's and a reduced countershaft sprocket as a back up in case of any mechanical problems or mishaps for anyone.

Well my 640 was the one! The first day of hard rain wasn't going to stop us. The gumbo mud in some areas of the mountain roads was never really a problem in the past - 'till it met up with my low fender dual front disk 640!!! My Ducati 998S has about as much tire clearance as the 640!! That mud locked the wheel uo solid and twisted the front fender forward, threatening to rip off the brake balance tube. That would have seriously ruined the day. As it was, we had to remove the front fender, and remove the brake fluid balance tube from the right caliper held up with a zip tie, JUST so I could ride it back to camp and pick up the KLR250 - which ran beautifully the entire week as I thrashed it about. I know, I know, I should have ordered a high fender kit, which I did as soon as I saw the new bike come in - but they are "back ordered".

https://davewright.smugmug.com/gallery/592842/1/24902755

https://davewright.smugmug.com/gallery/592842/1/24902753

My real question is to KTM - what sort of demographics do they think WANT this bike, and want it with a low "street" fender?? Totally stupid in my opinion, and really downright dangerous.
  2. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    Convert it to the high fender and lose a disc. Ride the bugger...
  3. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    chris is drunk. keep the disks, but ditch the hugger for an 03 style high fender.
  4. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    fixed
  5. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    its a pretty bike for cruisin the strip saturday night for chicks...

take it back as a warranty issue and make the buggers fix it all up - better yet have them put on the high fender, probaby cheaper.

oh yeah, ditch on dics and brake - what's duals for? :dunno

ps - puck loaded. :D
  6. Trevor S

Trevor S Cap'n Flatulence !

Oddometer:
    I disagree that it's either stupid or dangerous. The reason I swapped mine out is I KNEW it woudl get choked up with mud where I ride. You knew about it BEFORE you purchased it, so why is it a problem ? I had mine swaped out for a high guard before I even took delivery ! For me persoanlly I went with the high guard option but I would guess 80% of riders are going to be happy with the low guard. Most 640 Adv spend most of their life on the road or good dirt tracks.

[​IMG]

With all due respect, you seem to be pointing the finger of "blame" the wrong way. :dunno
  7. Steelhead

Steelhead It's all good

Oddometer:
    Did it look a little like this? :lol3

[​IMG]
  8. dirtyboy

dirtyboy Adrenaline junkie

Oddometer:
    I suppose a low fender is better in the sand. But dual discs? Never made sense to me either...
  9. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's the Flintstones low profile TKC... right? :tb
  10. lacrestadr

lacrestadr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They should put a more durable clutch in those damm things too :D
    [​IMG]
    When it's over you realize that's what made it an adventure. As Hilandfrog said, " if we rode on dry gravel roads for 2 days it wouldn't have been any fun". I'm sure when he said it, it sounded much more wise and worldly :lol3
  11. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
    You'll be fine when the high fender arrives. While you're waiting, convert it over to single disc and sell the other to someone who thinks their LC4 needs two of 'em. Money in pocket, problem solved!

:1drink
  12. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    :wave i need the bling of two diskeses and a low fender.... trade?
  13. Reformed DucFlogger

Reformed DucFlogger Inventor Of The Wheel Mk2

Oddometer:
    ...more likely a Marketing issue - and the use of the 950 front end.

The Dakar bikes use the low fender due to the fine sand and trying to keep it away from the rider, etc. The idea would be to make the bike look more like the Dakar for Marketing; plus the use of the 950 front end without having to do any mods at the factory.
  14. QMan

QMan prof. dirt mover

Oddometer:
    :D can't agree more those two discs plainly suck
  15. motowest

motowest Two-wheeled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I noticed that the KTM Adventure sales brochure shows the Dakar bike with a single disc up front. Hmmm.
  16. davewrit

davewrit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why should we have to swap out basic equipment before we use it?

I suppose that logic would allow my Ducati 998S to come with Knobbies.

The older 640 Adventures around here DID have the high fender, so I had nothing to compare it to (so few imported). Add to the fact that the high fender kits are back ordered here in the US, and I'll bet I am not in the minority.
  17. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
    Relax Dave. You're going to end up with the high fender, a proper solo dirtbike brake disc, and money in your pocket. As a bonus, you'll get to fiddle in the garage. Dunno why you're so pissed off. :D
  18. Kismet

Kismet vagrant philosopher

Oddometer:
    Every human being is born with the god-given right to rant. Logic need not apply.

(from the tablet Moses dropped.)
  19. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Funny how all this was discussed back in late '03 when the first 950s appeared in our little funny papers, with frozen front wheels and tales of abrupt and surprising endos. Then the '04 640s appeared... again, similar stories.

Those with low fender bikes, that could use a search button, realized the seriousness of the problem and did what KTM should have offered as an alternative... mount a high fender and drop one of the discs.
    A good recent example of this is Surfphoto. I don't think he did more than ride around the block before ditching the street biased hardware in favor of the safer and more dirt worthy bits. Smart boy.

I'll be the first to admit, the low fender looks the business... but from a practical standpoint, in anything other than dry dirt it's dangerous as hell.
    Living in Washington where riding in the wet and mud is almost a forgone conclusion, a low fender, and to a lesser degree dual discs, is a good way to get a lengthy stay in the hospital.

I haven’t said anything new here; it’s the same commentary I had when I first saw the low fender and dual discs.
    What do they call it in the equestrian world? Hobbling the horse?
  20. scottcolbath

scottcolbath Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't get why you all are baking on the dual front brakes. They work well. Maybe a hamfist is better off with only one. I'm thrilled with dual discs.

Maybe I can sell one of you dual disc haters a spare master cylinder and caliper I have lying around from my 1974 Harley. It sounds like that's the sort of braking power you guys like. :evil

Living in the desert, I have no complaints yet about the front fender.

S.C.