05 R12GS - Alternator Belt ?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by drhines, Aug 2, 2006.

1. drhines

drhines Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was going to put a new alternator belt on 05 GS today so upon looking at CD service manual, it says you have to have a special BMW tool to install. Looks like their is no slack adjuster bolt like old GS's to remove and install belt.

Is this true, or have any of you installed a new alternator belt on new generation R12GS's. From past experience, I have always carried spare alt belt but looks like I've been carrying this belt around with no means to put it on. Any help here would be appreciated.

First I found out that BMW has to do the throttle sync and then the brake bleed and now the alt belt. At this rate noone will be able to work on their bikes in a couple of more years.

Doug Hines
    Benton, AR
  2. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I seem to recall reading that the special "tool" comes with the belt.. others will chime in, or do a search. This was discussed and pics of the belt tool were posted.
  3. marty hill

marty hill The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer:
    Doug,

You can do the throttle sync at 3.5-4k rpm. Same as on the older bikes. Ignore the idle/stepper motor does that.
  4. drhines

drhines Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did a search and came up with nothing. Tried again and search is not available.

My service manual has a part # for the special tool to install belt. Dealer also told me you had to have tool. Have parts guy looking up the price but have not heard back.
  5. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I remember that post. The tool was nothing but a flat piece of metal with a small lip to remove the old belt and install the new one. Easily done.

Jim :brow
  6. blender

blender Just another rider

Oddometer:
  7. rideLD

rideLD The further the better!

Oddometer:
  8. drhines

drhines Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the link. So it sounds like I can just roll the belt onto the pulley. However in the example in the link of same procedure as putting chain on bike, you are actually turning the pulley's where you cannot do so with alt belt unless I'm missing something here.

Anyway, I'll give it a try. My dealer called back this afternoon and BMW part for installing the belt may be purchased for the nice price of $196.00. Surprise, Surprise. I'll try to tomorrow. If I can't get it, I'll load bike on trailer and haul to dealership and let them give their $196 tool a work out.

Thanks for the help.

Doug Hines
    Benton, AR
  9. rdcyclist

rdcyclist Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, I'm a tightwad and also need immediate satisfaction so I didn't want to wait for the tool. Here's what I did on a Sunday afternoon:

1. Remove the primary spark plugs. Usually you're gonna be doing a major service when changing the belt so you'll probably have all of 'em out.

2. Remove front cover. If you've got crash bars those are gonna have to come off first.

3. A 1 5/16" socket fits the crankshaft nut. I think. You'll find out whether I'm right when you get the cover off.

4. I used a long screwdriver to pry the old belt towards the front of the bike while turning the crank with the socket/ratchet.

5. Now to the patented Mark's I'mchangingthisbelttoday workaround: In the front of the crankpulley, there are three holes about 1/4" from the outer edge. Sorta look like balancing holes but they aren't. IIRC, they are something like .15 or so in diameter. Find a drill bit that is a good fit into the holes.

5a. Fit the new belt around the alt pulley and part way onto the crank pulley. Put the socket/ratchet onto the cranknut. Then fit the shank end (the end without cutting stuff) of the drill into one of the holes inside the belt. I wore a leather glove so as not to cut my delicate hand with the cutting surfaces of the drill. Then turn the crank with the socket/ratchet, whilst holding the drill into the hole and against the belt and as easy as pie, you've changed the belt without the need for fancy tools!

It really went that easily. Surprised even me.

I've saved the old belt for long trips so I have a back up out in the hinterlands. It's also insurance against ever breaking a belt: Nothing ever breaks that you're prepared for...
  10. rdcyclist

rdcyclist Long timer

Oddometer:
    And that's probably the other reason I didn't wanna wait for the tool...
  11. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    What is the change interval on 1200 belts? :ear
  12. mrmaico

mrmaico Long timer

Oddometer:

36,000 miles
  13. drhines

drhines Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks to rdcyclist, I preformed the alternator belt replacement almost just like he said and it worked great. Matter of fact, the belt is easier to change than the old GS with the adjuster.

The first pic is the tools I used to remove and install the new alternator belt. A long handle ratchet with 36mm socket. The 36mm is slightly too big but worked fine. A 12" long tire tool, and a blunt end punch that would fit into one of the 3 holes in the crankshaft pulley.

Sorry I only remembered to take the pics after install but I think you will get the idea. The 3rd pic is using the big socket on the crankshaft pulley and rotating the pulley in a clockwise motion (facing the pulley) while pushing the belt to the front of the bike. It comes right off with no effort.

Forgot I can only upload one pic at a time. 2nd and 3rd pic will be in next post.

For the install, place pulley on the top pulley (alternator pulley) and start the belt on the right side of the pulley (facing the pulley). Then insert the punch into the hole on the right side and start turning the crankshaft pulley in clockwise motion and the belt will slip right on. Don't know if I just lucked out and did not have to turn the engine through compression stroke or not but I didn't even take spark plugs out to do mine.

Hope this helps. So now I have added the tire iron and the 36mm socket to my tool bag and kept the old belt for a spare in case I lose one on the road. My old belt still looked fine however, it did seem somewhat drier and more brittle than the new one.

Doug Hines
    Benton, AR
  14. drhines

drhines Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This pic is the tools and method for installing the belt
  15. drhines

drhines Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is the pic of tools and method to remove the belt
  16. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter