'06 1150 GSA Thread

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by idea man, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Road Barnacle

Road Barnacle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad you found your bike. I stumbled upon this sub-forum out of curiosity because I've been researching 1150s in general and kind of hope to find one while there are still nice examples available. I'm encouraged by your find. It's a very nice looking bike.
  2. Lifesave

Lifesave Widetrack

Oddometer:
    I have the same bike with 22,500 miles with 3 seats and an extra rear drive for 10K. Expensive, but good luck finding one with less miles. PM me if interested. Dallas area.
  3. IceCreamSoldier

IceCreamSoldier suffering somewhere

Oddometer:
    Last month I posted that I trashed my tranny at 65,000 miles and that the service mgr. at A&S Powersports said that the 06 SE has a different tranny than all the other 1150 GSA’s. For any of you parts wonks, the part # is
    23007677011. Came from Deutschland for the tidy sum of $5,673.21. There were 2 in stock, now there’s 1.

I will say that the bike “feels new”, and shifts great. Money well spent.
  4. Rum Runna

Rum Runna Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A mate of mine has just purchased a 06 gsa today. He is not a member of this forum but has been told this is a special model. Can someone please explain what is so special about this model?
  5. Lifesave

Lifesave Widetrack

Oddometer:
    The model is no different from the last year built 04 GSA Adventure. It was a police bike deal overseas that went bad I was told so each dealer got 1 to sell in the states.
    All the 06's are white. BMW had already replaced the model with the 1200 GSA in 2005 so you could get a 1200 or 1150 GSA in 2006. They refer to the last available white 06 GSA's as Special Editions, SE's. They do not exist on paper. Take one to the BMW dealer for part and thy'll say the 06 BMW GSA SE does not exist. Part for the 04 are the same. Nothing special but to those who own them.
  6. NORTH RIDER

NORTH RIDER Long timer

Oddometer:
    PRICE is what makes them different , and according to IceCreamSoldier (a few post above ) the transmission .
    Try finding an 06 for the same price as an 04,05 .
    For some reason the 06 holds on to it’s value .
    North Rider
  7. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Funny that my dealer got 5 of them! I sold mine with 88K trouble free miles on it and even though my ‘18 GSA is a much more refined bike with better suspension, I still miss the white ‘whale’..:super
  8. darrell

darrell Long Time BMW Rider

Oddometer:
    My dealer got 3 of them in and I recently sold mine with 66,000 trouble free miles. These R1150GS Adventure models just seemed to be a perfect bike for many riders. I still own my 2002 R1150GSA with 120,000 miles. Other than normal required maintenance it continues operate as I would expect. As North Rider mentioned from a post IceCreamSoldier made the transmissions are in some manner a bit different. I was not aware of that. My understanding is 300 were built, 165 shipped to the US market and the others to other world markets. Lifesave's understanding is as mine is that they were built for the Australian and Austrian police and they ended up taking the R1200GS models cancelling the orders on the R1150GS Adv models. North Rider mentioned he did not believe any were imported to Canada. I sold some stanton head guards to a rider in Poland and he told me he had the only one imported to Poland. I fully agree with rider1150gsadv that it is bike one can miss very quickly when not in possession any longer. Rum Runna have your mate sign up on the forum and keep others updated on his. It is a pretty small group that have these special edition models.
    SelfPropelledDevo likes this.
  9. ShOqUePoT

ShOqUePoT GS Pot

Oddometer:
    It's seems odd that the transmission would be different and even odder to think that a transmission from another year wouldn't fit. If true, I hope my tranny continues to operate well.:lol3 I also have suspicions that a lot more than 300 were made but let's keep that under our hats.
  10. Johnnyboxer

Johnnyboxer Long timer

Oddometer:
    So tell me how it differs ?
  11. darrell

Oddometer:
    Ericb67 started a registry early on for this 06 GS Adv model. His research showed 171 imported to the US. Check his post #80 on this thread. My numbers are just what my dealer told me but I never followed up to confirm. Anyway for those of you that still own one you have a pretty neat bike.
  12. ShOqUePoT

ShOqUePoT GS Pot

Oddometer:
    Strange; I ran that part number and the price was as he quoted but it stated that it fit all 1150 gs/gsa models from 99-06 as well as the 1150r
    Agreed. Am I correct in saying that all the '06 models were numbered by BMW? If the numbers are consecutive and started from 001, there are quite a bit more than 300. Do others here know their numbers?
  13. darrell

Oddometer:
    All the bikes have serial numbers. Ericb67 was asking riders to provide the last 3 digits and he mentions the series of numbers and not did not start at number 1. If you go to the beginning of this tread and read each post I know he got to 20 riders. I've not read for maybe 10 years now don't know how many it actually ended up with. Everyone who owns a bike could send their last 3 digits to someone and they could start a new registry as I don't believe Ericb67 is on this tread any longer.
    ShOqUePoT likes this.
  14. IceCreamSoldier

IceCreamSoldier suffering somewhere

Oddometer:

Just relaying what I was told. Are there multiple transmissions for 1150’s? If so, what is spec’d for a 2003? 2006? Is it the same part?
  15. SWONUT

SWONUT Certified Nut

Oddometer:
    I've still got mine, trickle charging for the night as the snow rolls in...
  16. ShOqUePoT

ShOqUePoT GS Pot

Oddometer:
    Somebody must be bored enough this fall/winter to start a new registry. We could have a White Whale Wrally in the spring.
    DISCOLARRY and kjbetz like this.
  17. CuAnEm

CuAnEm Incoming! Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lifesave,

Still looking for the right magical whale. You still looking to get rid of yours?

Or, for that matter, anyone interested in parting with their (relatively) low-mileage whale? Time to pick up the search.
    Johnny Dakar likes this.
  18. Lifesave

Lifesave Widetrack

Oddometer:
    CuAnEm,

Still have my white whale. Will sell at the same premium price as before.

Mileage is still under 23,000 and includes 3 seats and an 06 GSA spare rear end.

Don't need to get rid of any of my toys so not negotiable. You weren't interested before at my price but let me know when you are serious.
  19. lukaszb

lukaszb n00b

Oddometer:
    I wrote to BMW Motorrad Germany and received quick reply that clarify a lot of Your questions:

"Between June and September 2005 there have been produced 712 units of the special edition BMW R 1150 GS Adventure called >25 years of BMW GS<.
    The color of this edition was alpinweiss-3-matt. It was equipped as standard with the following items:
    - heated handlebar grips
    - drivers information display
    - white indicators
    - enduro gearbox (short 1st gear)
    - Integral ABS
    - steel crash bars"

Mine is #206.
    Francistor83, Loutre and ShOqUePoT like this.
  20. Andrew

Andrew Optimus Primer Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I'm looking for a used GS. My 2000 R1150GS was just stolen... an 1150 GS Adventure could work, anyone selling? Model Year 2006 or otherwise?

I had already lowered the final drive ratio on my GS, and had an ADV transmission... but it still had the stock 5.5 gallon tank.