'07 DL-1000 Charging problem?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Mulewright, Sep 2, 2011.

1. greywolf

greywolf Unpaved road avoider

Oddometer:
    Have you checked the rotor for loose magnets as mentioned earlier? There are many more reports of those in the last couple of years. I used to be able to count reports of them on one hand but no longer.
  2. NortwestRider

NortwestRider TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer:
    Oh ya,I have had the stator cover off atleast 10 times and everytime I hoped it was loose magnets but it never was.I have to hand it Suzuki though there stator cover gaskets are amazing,I have been useing the same one all this time!!!.
  3. Mulewright

Mulewright Old Fart/Journeyman

Oddometer:
    I had a '81 GS 1000G... one of my fave bikes of all time!
    The "Norge" (refrigerator) of the two wheeled realm... always worked, minimum issues... did everything better than o.k. ... I'd likely buy another if they decided to re-introduce it...
    The only thing close was my R90/6... and it had NO personality at all.
  4. NortwestRider

NortwestRider TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer:
    I replaced my Vstrom with a 1982 GS850.I know they also have some electrical issues BUT it's a MUCH simpler bike and there over 30 years worth of fixes for them!!.I have had 4 of them and in well over 100,000 miles I never had a problem!!!.
  5. Yogi Seattle

Yogi Seattle n00b

Oddometer:
    For those like me who learn from old, inactive threads, and who may have landed here searching for DL1000 UNGLUED FLYWHEEL MAGNETS:

Case study: 2004 DL1000, 35,000 miles. Problem: not charging.

The unglued flywheel magnets is more common than you might think.

I have a complete set of six flywheel magnets here in my hand, with no motorcycle attached to them. All six came unglued from the flywheel and slid together. One chipped, one cracked. There are many reports and discussions on Stromtrooper and elsewhere.

I did not see any followups about attempts to repair them on a motorcycle. But it is very common on marine motors, and boat mechanics use everything from J-B to E6000 to Loc-Tite 620 to other glues and epoxies. I am going to try a two part epoxy and I will follow up on here with the results.
  6. Mulewright

Mulewright Old Fart/Journeyman

Oddometer:

"Bump"....?
  7. Nnordsman

Nnordsman Nnordsman Supporter

Oddometer:
    My 07 had charging problems. I paid to have the problem fixed at a dealer ship. Short of the story they swapped out the stator and never checked the regulator. At 28K, I was coming back from Moab and the whole thing crapped out in Grand Junction. We arranged to trailer the thing home. I talked smaxk with both the dealership and Suzuki. Suzuki requested the repair records from the dealership. They noted that the regulator had never been checked. The dealership ate the second regulator and stator. The bike is now at 70K with no further issues.
  8. Barrys1000!

Barrys1000! Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do you know where I can get my hands on 1 or 2 Flywheel magnets for my 06 DL1000?