07 GSA Throttle Cable Replacement

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by 309, Aug 1, 2020.

1. 309

309 Special Purpose

Oddometer:
    One of the few maintenance items I haven’t done since picking up my GSA is syncing the throttle bodies. Bike runs smooth and I didn’t have a Twinmax or similar so I put it off. A few days ago I spotted this:
    5BDFB1EF-7919-48A0-A304-A5DCB0B3D742.jpeg
    That’s right, a broken thingamajigger on the adjustamathingy for the right throttle body. It isn’t causing any issues but I know is only a matter of time so...

I’ve got a new set of all three throttle cables, the tank is off, and I’m about to go in. I’m armed with Dutch Courage, fair mechanical ability and not much else. There’s some really lousy videos on YouTube but if they help at all, I can’t wade through them long enough to find out.

Any tips?

And yes @Lead Wrist I will spring for a factory service manual, but it’s not going to be in my hands in time for this. Unless someone knows a source to download one??
    Geek likes this.
  2. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    I see my job here is done... :lol3

If you're closer I could've lent you my DVD otherwise no links to downloading copyrighted mat'l - that's a no-no and bannable offense around here...:bluduh

Take a look at the parts fiche as to how things go together and then take your time while at it - you should be ok... If not, fire away the questions as you get stuck and someone will come to your aid... :thumb
  3. 309

309 Special Purpose

Oddometer:
    Of course what I meant was an OFFICIAL source where I could make sure BMW was adequately compensated for their intellectual property. I would never suggest that SOMEBODY PM ME WITH A DOWNLOAD LINK or anything else that would offend the powers that be.
  4. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    No worries - the conversation on the same topic got heated few days or so ago and mod squad got involved in no-time-flat - just sayin'...

Your dealer is the only source for getting the official copy - all else isn't...
  5. 309

309 Special Purpose

Oddometer:
    I’ve already replaced the broken cable. It was super easy. I don’t think I’ll bother with the other two as throttle action is perfect and there’s no sign of wear at all. I’ll keep them as spares.

For some reason I envisioned this as being much harder than with a carbureted bike. I was intimidated by the Benton Box. Turns out it was very simple.

I’ve got a borrowed Twinmax so on to the throttle body sync.
  6. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    How many miles on your bike? I have found that after about 50K miles the cables have gotten rougher. You won't notice until you change them how hard the throttle twist has become.
    309 likes this.
  7. 309

309 Special Purpose

Oddometer:
    I’m not much under 50k, I’ll probably hit it before summer is out. I’ve still got the bike torn down in anticipation of some lights being delivered tomorrow. I suppose I could swap the other two cables.
  8. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    ^^ Since you won't have Factory Service DVD to guide you through - quick schematic to help you out... :D

[​IMG]