08 BMW R1200gs Fuel Pump Issues

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by tomwill00, Aug 7, 2019.

1. tomwill00

tomwill00 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fuel pump is spraying gas. Thought it was the quick connect and bought a new one. After taking the front plastic off I could see it was spraying out below the quick connect. Here is a video. Any insight? Do I need a new fuel pump or is there a part I could replace?

2. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. 18415

18415 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That was recalled a few years back. They installed a metal sleeve in it. I would run it by the dealer first to see if you qualify.
  4. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    If the ring was added to the existing fitting during the recall, I'd talk to the dealer. Many of those that had the dealer-installed ring subsequently failed, and required a second trip to the shop for a new fuel pump. My local dealer stopped installing the ring and would only install a complete pump.
  5. 18415

18415 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here’s that ring. 7142763C-7D37-4402-9055-BA6A0A1FD10E.jpeg Looking back at your video, looks like it has the ring installed. BACK TO THE DEALER!! I would be expecting a warranty replacement fuel pump.
  6. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    So far most dealers will deny a free replacement. In the OP's case, I am pretty sure it is the plastic threaded QD that cracked. This is getting to be pretty common.
    bykemike and 18415 like this.
  7. F.P.

F.P. Clown who is sick

Oddometer:
    The very same thing happened to me recently, 07 GSA. BMW replaced the pump under warranty. Try your local dealer!
  8. miker325

miker325 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree with Jim. Unless you like visiting the dealer more than I do, I'd first just swap out both sides of the QD with the metal version Jim already gave you a link to. If, on the odd chance, it wasn't the tank side fitting that was causing the problem, you end up with a much better QD set up that you can still use after the dealer has finished correcting the recall work that was done before. Either way, you're better off in the long run.
  9. tomwill00

tomwill00 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  10. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's not clear from the video, but it appears the fuel pump assembly may have cracked at or near the female QD port... Does that read correctly?

If so, you're probably looking at replacing that assembly = 16 14 7 705 376 FUEL PUMP ASSY. On the plus side, once the locking collar is carefully removed, installation is simple plug-n-play. On the down side, it's hella-spensive as a replacement part from BMW. A used assembly from BBY, our own flea market, eBay, etc. might be worth considering, but you could never be sure of what you were getting either. If ordering a new part (or really, even if getting one used), consider a new gasket, as well. Those are relatively inexpensive = 16 11 7 677 883 GASKET.

That infomercial product listed above might get you down the road in an emergency situation, but I would not expect it to hold; esp. not under pressure, and in particular when exposed to gasoline. Honestly, I'd be afraid to rely upon it.

There are (possibly urethane based) adhesives designed to mend plastic fuel tanks. In a pinch I might try one of those on a 1200's tank, but to me that's a band-aid to get me home. Best practice would be to apply or "paint" the adhesive from inside of the pump assembly (not the pump itself!), and press the adhesive all the way through the crack - as with paint work, patience & good prep work would be critical.

I'd need to inspect the pump assembly to be sure, but wholesale replacement seems necessary.

EDIT: You did install the female QD using the included sealant - and practically the entire tube of it, and then allow that ample time to cure, right?
    JimVonBaden likes this.