08 WR250R won't prime and/or no ignition when i hit it

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Thrilla_Moto Detroit, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Thrilla_Moto Detroit

Thrilla_Moto Detroit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm sure the answer to the following is elsewhere is the thread but I'm frustrated!! Help please!

Seems like every other time I turn the key on and rock the Engine Stop Switch the bike WILL NOT prime. No whirr.

Also, sometimes I keep the Switch on and just turn the bike on/off with the key. - NO PRIME no whirr.

Sometimes it will start WITHOUT priming and sometimes absolutely nothing happens! Silent.

Generally, when it functions in a normal way I noticed the bike is kind of weak sounding when it fires up (not a normal ROBUST fire up) but it WILL start.

The lights aren't dim and I put it on a charger and it registered full.

Also, I did the diag and it reads 11.8

Any insight here would be greatly appreciated.

Is it the battery? The fuel pump?

Also, if anyone has any links for good deals or whatever on perhaps a fuel pump I'd totes appreciate it too! :)

Thanks in advance!
  2. malignity

malignity Wonton

Oddometer:
    Fuel pump for sure, especially being an 08.

Get yerself a new one.
  3. Thrilla_Moto Detroit

Oddometer:
    Thanks man, anything you can recommend or just go OEM?
  4. malignity

malignity Wonton

Oddometer:
    OEM should be fine. 08 were known for some fuel pump issues that the others didn't have.
  5. malignity

malignity Wonton

Oddometer:
    Actually, hang on a minute here. When you're not getting priming and hit the starter button, nothing at all happens? No cranking?
  6. malignity

malignity Wonton

Oddometer:
    I just read this initially at face value and know of the 08 and fuel pump issues. Fuel pump not engaging normally means the pump is bad, but something else caught my attention.

Now that I think about it a second more, if you're not getting any cranking at all and your fuel pump is not engaging, your battery is (likely) toast.

If the fuel pump is bad, it won't prime, but the bike should crank over just fine and just won't start.
  7. Snapper

Snapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Early '08s had fuel pump issues.... mine always worked cold, but sometimes didn't when hot. Never shut down while riding (airflow kept it cool enough?), just sometimes wouldn't prime/start when hot. First time wife had to rescue me with a trailer, which I'm still occasionally reminded of a decade later. Fortunately, mine failed and was replaced under warranty (but traded it soon after anyways).

Battery crank power on an old battery is different matter of course, but I would think there should always be enough juice to at least hear the pump prime at turn-on, if the bike has been able to start recently.
    Thrilla_Moto Detroit likes this.
  8. Thrilla_Moto Detroit

Oddometer:
    Sometimes when I get no priming it will still crank up and start. Other times there is no priming AND no attempt to crank. Just silence.

So far, as long as it cranks it WILL start. It's just hit or miss, ya know?

Starter relay perhaps??
  9. malignity

malignity Wonton

Oddometer:
    Take your battery to Autozone or O'Rileys and have them test it if you don't have the means to check it yourself. If the battery tests good, it's gotta be the pump.

If it starts without priming, there's probably just enough gas in the line to do so and then the vibration of the bike causes the pump to jiggle on. I've seen this in my trucks a few times, how banging on the tank can cause it to kick on temporarily to get you back to civilization.
  10. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The pump does not always prime itself on every flick of the switch. That is not a problem.

Slow cranking is a problem. Check the battery, or just replace if it is older.