1. eNewsletter Sign Up

09 D2D Info Needed

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by unlokr, Feb 13, 2009.

1. unlokr

unlokr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am planning on coming up to D2D this year (for the 1st time)and need some info...

Will my AT&T wirless phone work in Dawson? I need to call back to work to help my wife complete payroll.

I have a reservation at the Downtown Hotel-will it be too busy/active/noisy to get any sleep? I don't mean to whine but I do need my beauty sleep:evil
    Or should I find alternatives?

I am leaving Portland OR on June 20th-do I have time to do the Dempster b4 D2D? I don't mind 500 mile days but also don't want to miss the point of going up there. I will probably go through Dawson Creek on the way up and then back down the Cassiar coming back after Deadhorse.
  2. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:

I'm not sure about AT&T service in Dawson but I would recommend picking up a phone card as back-up.

The Downtown Hotel is the hub of rally activity but I can't say it will be any crazier/louder than any other establishment in town. The group does do an impromptu award and picture session at midnight (Friday) in front of the hotel so plan according. OBTW..... naps are allowed. :deal

As for trying to do the "Dumpster" before D2D and leaving Portland on the 20th all I can say is good luck with that. I don't know if you have been here before but if not .... why would you want to do an IronButt for a trip of this magnitude? I'm not saying that it can't be done but my advice would be to take smaller bites and enjoy the meal. Keep in mind that doing 500 mile days in "merica" is completely different than doing those distances on the Dempster...... particularly when sleep may be an issue. Good luck on your journey, ride safely, and keep us informed. Go ahead and let us know your room number so we can ensure you a proper D2D "experience" :lol3 :lol3
    Just sayin'. Fite
  3. klrdave

klrdave misguided

Oddometer:
    You won't get At&T service in Dawson unless they just recently put up some towers (highly doubtful).

As for sleep, what Fite said.

4. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    The most useful feature on a cell phone in Dawson is the calender. :lol3
  5. akrider

akrider mild adventurer

Oddometer:
    I will be leaving Yamhill, OR and heading to D2D. Meeting a friend in Seattle on the way. I am thinking of doing the Cassier on the way up.

No problem getting sleep at the Downtown hotel, if you drink enough...........
    Ask for room across the street at the Downtown Hotel Annex where all the old folks stay. (and it has the hot tub)

Let me know your schedule for a possible hook up.

Dennis