09 F800 vs 07 Multistrada 1000S DS

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by AtticusWolf, Nov 3, 2011.

1. AtticusWolf

AtticusWolf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So, here's my debate. I own an 03 F650 Dakar. I commute 79 miles a day on it. My Dakar doesn't cut it as a daily commuter anymore. After a 12 hour work day riding home at night on a major Californian highway the bike really sucks at it.

What would be a better year round San Francisco Bay area commuter?
    the 09 F800 adventure or a 07 Ducati Mutlistrada 1000S DS? These are points I am most concerned with:

Comfort
    Saftey
    Ridability
    Foul Weather Riding
    Wind Protection

What is your opinion and why?

P.S. If I buy the Multistrada I will keep my Dakar for true Dual Sporting =)
  2. señormoto

señormoto Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer:
    For those requirements they are basically the same. If you want something for taking offroad when you're not commuting then the F800 is the ticket. If you want to tour on weekends at 90+ consistently and rarely plan on any offroad then, personally, I'd buy the 'strada.

Do note that the F800 gets better mpg - at freeway speeds it's 44-50mpg. Ducati... not so much.
  3. DabsAlot

DabsAlot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just recently traded my 2006 1000 S DS 'Strada for a 2009 F800GS.

I had the DP Gel seat on the 'Strada and I have the stock 'high' seat on the F800GS; for me the seat on the 'Strada was more comfortable, nice and wide and flat. I thought the foot pegs were a little too far forward for me, but overall quite comfy for me. The 'Strada had a Laminar Lip and the wind protection was better on the 'Strada, my F800GS has the MRA windshield.

The Duc didn't fuel nearly as well as the BMW in the lower RPM's, it was happy from 4000 RPM's all the way to red-line, but wasn't as happy in the lower RPM's. The BMW engine felt more 'refined', but is 'buzzier' as the RPM's climb. The Duc is very happy to run all day at 80+ MPH, the BMW seems to be happier running saner speeds :D.

With easily switched off ABS with the BMW, maybe it has the edge on safety.

Strada's have an issue with some of the fuel tanks expanding, mine had been replaced by the PO under warranty.

I would not take my Duc offroad, as I felt it was such a beauty I never wanted to chance dropping it, I feel the F800GS is a great do-it-all bike for me.

Steve
  4. señormoto

Oddometer:
    Nonsense, I just took 101 from SF to LA on wednesday and pushed 80-85mph the entire way. No traffic, no cops, it was perfect. Made great time. @ 80mph the F800 runs in the 5000-5200 rpm range. It is buzzy, but nothing that causes any discomfort.
  5. Mollygrubber

Mollygrubber Eschew obfuscation

Oddometer:
    Yup. Rode a 5600 mile loop though the southwest on mine in Sept, lots of 75mph highway and it was fine. The Mirage II fairing really helped with the wind protection, though.
  6. AtticusWolf

AtticusWolf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks for all the input. I know the F800 can do the commute. I ride about 75-80 mph on Dakar as is. However, I am riding home after a 12hr work day. When I ride to work I need to hit the ground running once I get off the bike. So, its not just about getting the ride done but getting off the bike with a minimum amount riding fatigue and riding the bike work fatigued. I could ride across country on my current Dakar and be fine. That's different than riding a lot and then working a lot. What do you guys think?
  7. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The big expense of owning the MS1000 is desmo valve adjustment and belt replacement at 7500 miles, vs. 12K valve inspection on the GS. At 80 miles a day, you'll rack up the miles pretty fast.

In my home market, 2 belts cost around $400, plus about 7 hours labor.. I was quoted something like $1200 for a valve adjustment when I was looking at getting a Ducati. I thought that was crazy expensive. so I got the 800GS, which I used as my commuter bike and touring bike. The one down side of the 800GS for touring - if you have curves where you live - is the big front wheel. The Ducati's 17" front wheel is prefect for canyon carving.. the 21" wheel, not so much. You might want to give your local Ducati dealer a call and ask what it would cost you to get a valve check done and how much will it cost if the valves need adjusting, that's where the expense increases, and the timing belts are usually replaced at the same time. Do the same for the GS.

The stock screen on the GS doesn't do much (for me), I went with an Aeroflow and a custom seat. The stock seat is horrible, but the BMW comfort seat is very good.

p.s. 30,000 km on my GS, zero issues.
  8. señormoto

Oddometer:
    I think you need to get a job that doesn't require 12hr days! :eek1

But seriously, the F800 can do what you want.... but I have a feeling the Duc will do it better. With all that work it sounds like you won't be having much offroad time that makes the F800 fun to begin with. Personally the F800 is not terribly fun on the road, it's not bad but it's not what it's primary goal/function is.
  9. AtticusWolf

AtticusWolf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep! I agree, I need to find a job that I don't work so much ;) I also agree that it appears the MTS is gonna win out. After riding home in the rain at night on my Dakar I realize I need a true dedicated road bike. Well, at least I have a great excuse for why I gotta have multiple bikes! =) Any more input from anyone will still be much appreciated.
  10. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd get the duc, a whole lot more fun. the valve adjustment thing is half as bad as folks (mostly non-ducati owners :lol3) make it out to be. I usually commute on a Monster or XB12. My workdays are typically 14-16 hours and I don't find it an issue at all.
  11. AtticusWolf

AtticusWolf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice!