'09 F800GS 120k+ Opinion

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by sh1bby69, May 11, 2016.

1. sh1bby69

sh1bby69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What are your thoughts about buying a 09 F800gs with 120k+ miles on it. I'm helping a friend look for a bike. They are asking 6k for it. What are some issues that he should know about and things to look for with this bike. Thanks for your help guys!
  2. ubermick

ubermick Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Depends on how good your buddy is in terms of working on the bike. Miles don't necessarily equal problems, but 120k is a lot. Does it come with service records? I'll let the more informed guys chime in, but I do know the alternator has a habit of going poof, and while cheap if you can do it yourself, a shop will obviously charge considerably more.

Again, all depends on his handiness with wrenching. I know I'm useless at it, and wouldn't really trust myself to do anything beyond an oil change, so if it were me I'd sock a few extra bucks away and look for a bike that's a year or two newer, with fewer miles and (potentially) less problems.
  3. sarathmenon

sarathmenon Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer:
    6k seems to be on the higher side for a high mileage bike. At 120k miles, I am sure the owner has fixed the alternator, water pump, shock bolt and all other early model problems by now. And if the owner liked the bike so much, it must have been well cared for, and farkled nicely. See if the PO replaced the clutch recently, it's probably on it's way out. But, before you go down that hole, I see well farkled 2012s and 2013s with less than 20k miles on our local craigslist for 8k. Sure, the engines last forever, but when you get good enough deals for a little more, it doesn't make sense to buy a high mileage bike at that price.
  4. AustinXL

AustinXL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I paid 6500ish for a 2009 F650GS (so not an f800 but still...) with 2K miles. 6K for that bike with that many miles seems high to me.
  5. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't think it would be worn out by then and don't think you'd have to be a mechanic to own it. Mine has 60000 and runs like new, I have yet to replace anything but normal wear items. (Well, an oil pan gasket but that's pretty unusual and cheap and easy so no big deal it wasn't like it left me stranded on the road.)
    But that price is stupid high. KBB shows average miles at 23000, and private party price of 5800. Unless it looks like new and has a whole lot of farkles move on.
  6. sh1bby69

sh1bby69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys!
  7. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    We are consistently in a bike market as both buyers and sellers. I've never thought KBB was worth a grain of salt for establishing a price of motorcycle.
  8. sieg

Oddometer:
    And what would you recommend as a staring point, to find a fair price of any bike anywhere quick and easy? I agree KBB and NADA are far from perfect but they're close on fair $$ what else is there? That's what the bank is going to use for loan value, the dealer when you trade it, the insurance when you total it.
  9. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    In God we trust, all others should bring data. :smooch I'd recommend that you do a bit of your own research. Start out with the 2 pages of F800s on here. Home >flea market >bikes, then type "F800" in the search box on the top right hand screen by the magnifying glass.

Or you could check Cycle Trader, or you could check Ebay, or you could check Craigslist.....

I think you are misled with believing the insurance value is a good price. For instance, my claim with company #1 was extremely generous, yet a buddies claim with company #2 on a R1200gs was pitiful.
  10. sieg

Oddometer:
    Doesn't sound like "a quick and easy way to find a starting point for a fair price". And those are asking prices, none of that data is selling prices. All of KBB and NADA are actual selling prices. I doubt that anyone in a business that deals with prices, like banks, insurance companies or dealers figure prices that way. So for someone to come up with a price that way kind of leaves you out there with the with the E-bay and Craig's List wackos, not reality.
  11. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    these engine hold better together than one would think but still 6k is too steep of a price for that kind of mileage. it's not a boxer after all
  12. Indy Unlimited

Indy Unlimited Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would not offer more than 4K for that bike.