09' f800gs Headlight Wiring

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by trendprime, Aug 8, 2017.

1. trendprime

trendprime Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello all! This is my first post and I'm going to be annoying as it's going to be a question!

Now before I get deleted, banned, and laughed at (not necessarily in that order) let me start off by saying I've been scouring the internet for the answers I seek and have had no success.

I am in the middle of a headlight conversion mod from the Forest Whitaker stock headlight to a round headlight. The round headlight has an H4 connector with high beam lowbeam and a halo(which I assume is going to be considered a DRL). If anyone has knowledge on wiring, an adapter(i don't think one exists) or anything that could aid me in getting this sucker hooked up I would appreciate it.

The headlight
    https://hogworkz.com/harley-parts/l...er-headlight-harley-daymaker-replacement.html

In the new housing
    20726952_10155515626393788_2035287955_o.jpg
    Evo35 likes this.
  2. Pilotuh1b

Pilotuh1b Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Forest Whittaker, love it. Haha.

Well, I guess you need to find out wiring pattern with the hogz light. Obviously the LED halo will be powered with your low beam. So a splice off the low beam to power that.

Then, it's a matter of working out how the connector separates high beam switched power. If it has its own pin for high beam power, or if it has a sense line and internal switching.

So the hogz light/connector - does it have a wiring diagram or markings?
  3. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca RadioFlyer

Oddometer:
    Scubalong likes this.
  4. Scubalong

Scubalong Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca RadioFlyer

Oddometer:
    This winter I am switching the H9 halogen bulb in the low beam Hella projector to a Cyclops LED replacement and I am replacing the vacuum-formed cowl with another attempt that will look a little better. I had seen where someone went to a round headlight for their F800R and I figured that eventually someone would do the same on the GS.
  6. trendprime

trendprime Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the responses everyone.

The Forest Whitaker observation was made by someone on reddit but it is how I will refer to it from now on.

@bmwroadsterca

12.jpg

That is the H4 wiring on the hogworkz light. I was looking over your post (which btw is awesome) I'm not certain on how I would go about matching up this fuse(which is for the halo) with the stock as can be seen in your picture.

[​IMG]

I have an email out to the guys at hogworkz but I'm not sure how much they'll want to advise me because of fear of liability if I start cutting things and it doesn't work then they're to blame.

I won't blame any of you so please advise away!
  7. trendprime

trendprime Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have made this beautiful diagram for you of what I assume is the wiring diagram for the hogworkz light

halomaker h4 wire diagram.png
    Clearly this is my first venture into any kind of wiring for lights so I'm learning as I go right now.
  8. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca RadioFlyer

Oddometer:
    Is that a fuse or just a connector? In the diagram why would the halo be wired to come on with the high beam?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
  9. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca RadioFlyer

Oddometer:
    I would buy the mating connector for an H4 bulb (should be readily available at an auto parts store ) and wire it back to back with the connector I cited to make a conversion adapter so as not to hack any wiring.

10. trendprime

trendprime Adventurer

Oddometer:
    20170809_095707.jpg

unnecessarily large image - check

Now that you question if it's a fuse or not and I took a second look and I would say yes this is a connector not a fuse.

This seems like a good plan of action. I'll give it a try.

Thanks again!
  11. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca RadioFlyer

Oddometer:
    The connector on your hogworx replicates that of an H4 bulb anticipating that that is what it is replacing.

As such looking at the connector is the same as looking at the back of an H4 bulb which has connections like this:
    H+4SocketDiaJadams1pic11961569061409336403.jpg

Ignore the colours as there is no standard for this. The H4 connector you buy may or may not use this particular colour scheme. Just go by the positions.
    For instance the corresponding H4 connector would look like the diagram on the right here:
    H+4SocketDiaJadams1pic11961569061409336403.jpg H4 Connector.png

Wire each lead to the corresponding low, high and ground of the BMW harness.
    trendprime likes this.
  12. trendprime

trendprime Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Should I be concerned that the parking light will not have a wire connected to that pin? I'm guessing that it will at the least trigger the service text to pop up on my gauge cluster.

It is very cool to have a community where knowledgeable people are willing to offer assistance to noobs. Thank you very much Mike.
  13. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca RadioFlyer

Oddometer:
    Good question! It may well be that the bike will give a lamp out warning if there is nothing connected to the parking lamp. In that case I would connect the halo LED to the parking lamp lead.

14. trendprime

trendprime Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If wired in that manner a few things come to mind;

A) Will it remain on once the bike is started?

B) Will it have enough juice to power the led halo?

C) Will it suck my battery down having the extra drain while the bike hasn't been started?

D) Maybe I just ignore the service notification (lol)

Completey off-topic I bought the bike recently moving from an FZ1 and Triumph Scrambler to the F800 and I freaing love this bike!

Edit: The Halo is wired into the High beam and the Low Beam.
  15. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca RadioFlyer

Oddometer:
    A) Will it remain on once the bike is started?
    YES
    B) Will it have enough juice to power the led halo?
    I have never seen a spec for current capacity but lots of folks use that lead to power a relay in addition to the existing bulb.
    C) Will it suck my battery down having the extra drain while the bike hasn't been started?
    Unlikely - LEDs don't draw much current and I don't imagine that the halo is particularly powerful but you might ask the vendor or manu if they know the draw.
    D) Maybe I just ignore the service notification (lol)
    Always an option.
    trendprime likes this.
  16. trendprime

trendprime Adventurer

Oddometer:
    More great answers Mike!

Now I just wait for parts and continue my work on the other modifications as I wait for the part to arrive. I'll post an update once the project is done - assuming I don't need more help first.
  17. RubDogg

RubDogg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey trendprime,
    since my CEV-headlight has the common burned reflector issue I'm thinking about replacing it with a round headlight. Do you have a picture of the round headlight mounted on your F800? And could you solve the wiring?

Edit: found your other thread with pictures in it, looks really great!!
    Just in case anybody else stumbles up on this, here's a link
    trendprime likes this.
  18. trendprime

trendprime Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Before undertaking this modification the thing to remember is you are going to have to modify parts of the bike that you will not be able to reverse easily or perhaps at all. If you do decide to go for it and need any help feel free to inbox me, I'm glad to share the knowledge I attained from the experience.
  19. RubDogg

RubDogg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the offer. I would want to do a built that can be reversed to stock, so cutting away the fairing is not an option. My idea is to use a flat led-light that can be fitted onto the original mounting spots. I'm just not 100% sure a round headlight looks good with the high fender still in place. Guess I'll do a mock up first...
  20. trendprime

trendprime Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, there is the HP2 check it out. It's not exactly the same but enough similarities to get an idea.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I think it looks fine, figuring out how to mount it in the stock bracket would be an interesting feat.

edit: The cut fairings are the light side of irreversible you can always buy new fairings, the hard part would be welding on the small rectangle bracket to the triple tree that holds the stock bracket.as it needed to be ground off to fit the headlight.
    RubDogg likes this.