'09 F800GS 'New' Bike Lotsa Questions

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Rasbutan, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Rasbutan

Rasbutan Unnormal

Oddometer:
    So I traded in my 3 bikes for 1, got a new to me 09 F800GS. Previous owner must've been a farkle fiend, so many extras that I'm still trying to figure out what's been done. Near as I can tell, SW Motech side bags, crash bars, wind screen?? Touratech hand guards, brake reservoir cover, head lights guard, mirror relocators? Lowered suspension, lowered seat? HID Headlight, some sort of aftermarket tail light.

I have a bunch of stuff I want to do to it and need some advice.

1. I want to add aux lights. Would prefer a 'package' deal, something with lights, harness, brackets. I know this topic has probably been beat to death, but I haven't found a definitive thread showing all the different types.

2. The side bag locks didn't come keys. So, anyone know if SW Motech can re-key or sells just the lock assembly? I realize I can email them, but figured maybe someone had some experience first.

3. The lowered suspension brings an issue with the kickstand being too long. The bike stands up almost vertical, making it unstable. Short of taking it to someone to cut and weld, anyone know of another option?

4. Want a GPS. Been out of that game for a while, and I know there's a thread here somewhere. I have the ram mount on the handlebar already, so would be nice if I can find one to fit.

Anything else I'm missing that is jumping out?

Pic attached for reference. Feel free to PM if necessary or tell me to pound sand.

Attached Files:

2. fjmartin

fjmartin Long timer

Oddometer:
    For number 3 you have a few options. Have someone cut, shorten and weld the foot back on the sidestand or purchase the OEM short sidestand.
  3. ROMAD

ROMAD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats! I recently picked up a new-to-me 2009 as well and have already replaced the side stand. My original 09 side stand was weak, bending and the bike was leaning way over. There are several threads already about it so I will cut to the chase, what you want is to replace the entire side stand assembly with one of the later models (2013+ IIRC) that were improved both in the frame bracketry and the leg. I picked up an entire assembly from a 2016 part out with 900 miles for $40. Bolts right on with a small exception - the threads on the safety switch mounting stud are different but easily dealt with from local hardware store for a M6 stainless nylock nut and washer.

After that then modifying it for the shorter suspension is as simple as cut to length and weld the foot pad back on as mentioned above.
  4. Littlegreenmen

Littlegreenmen Adventurer

Oddometer:
  5. Rasbutan

Rasbutan Unnormal

Oddometer:
  6. ROMAD

ROMAD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One other thing about the F800GS in general that I recently learned about. Now that the newer models are out many of the aftermarket manufacturers have either stopped or slowed down making parts for the F8GS. Altrider has ceased production on most everything (according to their rep I spoke with), Touratech now considers it a legacy platform and will only be making bigger parts like crash bars and panniers (according to TT rep I spoke with) Outback Motortek has moved the F8GS parts into a production rotation scheme and will only be making runs as-needed a couple times a year (also according to their rep). You can see the pattern repeat with others as you shop around and notice clearance pricing/limited choices/out of stock items.

So if there is some farkle you have been thinking about, I'd pick it up sooner than later because for many of the manufacturers, pretty much whats out there is the last of the small/specialty parts for the F8GS.

The universal reason has been basically they all say that F8GS parts sales slowed to a crawl about a year ago and it wasnt worth continuing manufacturing parts that arent selling. I get it but think it may be a little short sighted as the older F8GS are just now entering market prices for a whole new demographic. I am never going to buy a brand new $10-15K+ bike. I have no qualms with buying a great used bike for 5K and then putting another several K of aftermarket parts into it though, and I have my reciepts from the last 30 days to prove it :D
  7. Rasbutan

Rasbutan Unnormal

Oddometer:
    Exactly. I picked up this bike for $7k, with 10k on the clock. No issues whatsoever. I'm ready to sink $1-3k into it to make it mine. Can't believe they'd cut out after market parts now.
  8. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    a couple of quick things to check.. see if it has a silver or black fuel pump controller, it would also be nice to know if it has an updated flywheel or replacement stator put in. both which you should put on your "to do" list if they haven't been swapped.
    ROMAD likes this.
  9. ROMAD

ROMAD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did not know about this one, did some research and its now on the list.
    Thank you!
    :beer
  10. Rasbutan

Rasbutan Unnormal

Oddometer:
    New headlight went in today. Really need to find a shorter kickstand, almost dropped it trying to move it.

Attached Files:

11. ROMAD

ROMAD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Headlight looks great! What's the specifics? Got a link, I'd like to check that out
  12. Rasbutan

Rasbutan Unnormal

Oddometer:
    I need to get on my laptop, got it off Alibaba with guard for less than $200.
  13. Rasbutan

Rasbutan Unnormal

Oddometer:
  14. rideslikeoldman

rideslikeoldman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Your missing Cyclops led headlight conversion, it’s a simple plug and play. It’s literally a night and day difference, you may not want to put on auxiliary lights. They are worth every penny. They put out 9600 lumens between both beams. Low beam is a huge improvement.
  15. BillofBelford

BillofBelford Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As far as the GPS...I have an 011 F650GS...there is a "GPS" lead under the center panel that works great..have an older Zumo 550 in a TT locking mount bolted to a ram ball......have an SD card with a bunch of music that's wired to a cheap set of helmet speakers.....takes the edge of riding long trips alone !!!
  16. bozmotodual16

bozmotodual16 GuttenTight Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great thread! I just bought a 2010 f800gs with 26k miles. How do I tell if the stator has been upgraded to 13+, and if the fuel pump bits have been upgraded? My understanding is that these are the main weak points of this year and should be considered for upgrading... 20190609_205315.jpg
  17. Rider 101

Rider 101 Time poor

Oddometer:
    Looks good.
    Don't think there is any way to tell if the stator or fuel pump have been done. An indication for the stator might be spliced wires and have a look at fuel pump hose clamps. Are they crimped or screw clamps?

Don't forget the BestRest rear shock brace. Don't skimp, just do it.
    bozmotodual16 likes this.
  18. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    The fuel pump controller is under the seat. The old ones are silver the newer ones are black. If you're ambitious enough to remove the right side cover to check the stator the newer version will have venting holes in it. Consider checking the wheel spacers to see if they're heavily grooved.
    bozmotodual16 likes this.