'09 F800GS Speedometer melting?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by 4jranch, Oct 23, 2011.

1. 4jranch

4jranch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been having intermittent speedometer issues with the speeds occasionally showing much higher than possible. The needle will register 20, 40 or more when stopped. I took the bike to the dealer to be checked as it is still in warranty. The service manager at the dealer pointed out that the cover on the inside of the instrument, the part with the numbers on it was slightly wrinkled. Apparently caused by heat,nearly melting, bubbling up and catching the needle sometimes. I have a Givi windshield that the factory says is the cause of the problem and so far they say it isn't covered by warranty because it isn't the stock windshield.

Any suggestions or similar experiences. Searching has turned up some instrument melting issues on other BMW models.
  2. davidadv1

davidadv1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OMG bmw dealers suck... it's the windscreen fault?!?
    oh boy I'm starting to hate on them!!
    good luck sir.. install the oem shield and go to
    another dealer...:huh
  3. Casejeep

Casejeep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    is there another bmw dealer? most arent that pathetic.
  4. WeazyBuddha

WeazyBuddha Carbon-Based Humanoid Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. 4jranch

4jranch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. SportFaller

SportFaller Dirt dont hurt, MUCH

Oddometer:
    the stock windshield on my 1200 ADV melted the instruments too, think magnifying glass. anytime I stopped outdoors after that I tried to park facing away from the sun or laid my coat over the windshield.
  7. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, the windshield has acted as a magnifying glass concentrated the sun's rays onto the instrument panel and melting a portion of it. I've seen this happen on a friend's bike (and it wasn't a GS) and has been reported on the boxer GS a time or two. I keep a hand towel in my top case, and throw it on the instruments when it's sunny and I'm parked outdoors for any length of time.

You might want to try a more sympathetic dealer..
  8. ZachZ

ZachZ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow, this thread just made me realize the answer to something peculiar that I noticed recently. The bezel around my speedo has what looks like a melt mark in it. I take pride in my bike and try to take good care of it so this blemish has been bugging the shit out of me. I couldn't figure it out. I've had a V-Storm windshield installed for 3 months now and that mark appeared sometime after that.

Gotta love ADV Rider forums. Keep the chatter up.
  9. sorebutt

sorebutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Remeber how hard it was as a kid to start a fire with a magnifying glass or cook ants, You have to hold the magnifying glass just right. It doesn't seem possible that something like a windshield would bend and concentrate light rays enough to melt plastic but, I've heard of the same problem on Honda ST1300. I friend of mine with a Harley had the leather backrest start to smoke from reflections from some emblem. I guess it pays to be careful when you park in the sun.
  10. VikB

VikB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Put the stock screen back on and take the bike to another BMW dealer for warranty service...:evil
  11. señormoto

señormoto Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer:
    Oh you know.. man up and accept the fact that you burnt the speedo with aftermarket accessories.
  12. 4jranch

4jranch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can't even take credit as the Givi windshield was on the bike when I bought it. I was given the original but didn't put it back on. I'm not convinced it would have made a difference. I'm thinking of adding some tint to the inner lower part of the Givi.
  13. señormoto

Oddometer:
    It does suck that this happened, clearly you didn't melt the speedo on purpose. How much is the part if it's not covered by warranty?
  14. 4jranch

4jranch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Plan to pick up the bike from the dealer tomorrow. They were going to look at taking the cover off the speedo and trying to flatten out or glue down the wrinkles. Will post an update when I get one. BMW would have replaced the unit had I had a standard windshield. I'm thinking they already have this in the computer with the history on my bike so taking it to a different dealer with the old windshield installed may not work. If the repair works I am fine and will just try to prevent further damage.
  15. señormoto

Oddometer:
    It seems that given other riders experiences with the stock shield doing the same thing on the 1200 that this would be covered regardless of the shield you are using. Additionally, don't a lot of dealers sell aftermarket shields - having them claim that this invalidates the warranty on the glue for the speedo internals seems a bit much. :huh
  16. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    It isn't only BMW's. Get rid of thee Givi Windshield and fix the Speedo. Problem solved. :1drink
  17. 4jranch

4jranch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dealer wasn't able to fix the speedo as he didn't want to try to take it apart, fail and then have to replace it. The problem on my bike is now in the computer so changing windshields and going to another dealer is out as an option. They did give me a number for BMW to discuss it with them. Fortunately for now the problem is intermittent and it is working correctly now. I will likely replace the windshield first and try it with the original. Tinting the Givi and or speedo plastic may also be an option. I will call BMW when I am in the mood............

I would change the title of this thread if I knew how adding "Givi Windshield Problem" which might prevent others that were searching windshields from having the problem........
  18. raider

raider Big red dog

Oddometer:
    I feel a little for the dealer here - warranty claims are refunded by BMW NA after the dealer has done the work. They have to anticipate what "head office" will and won't accept, or be left wearing the cost of a repair that nobody will pay for.

It's reasonably well-established case law that where you have modified, in any way, your vehicle, then the onus of proof falls to you to prove your modifications did not cause or contribute to the warranty claim. Where you're claiming a windscreen melted your instruments, then it will be impossible to prove that if you're not using the original screen, no matter how many cases of stock screens doing it that you find.

Sucks, you'll have to call it an act of god and move on.
  19. JoelWisman

JoelWisman Long timer

Oddometer:
    SOP, communicated via PuMA case is to replace the bezel or cluster depending on what all is melted if a stock windscreen is installed.

Stock windscreens do this all the time, fact they are worse then any aftermarket screen I have seen as the bend concentrates the sun perfectly.

It is distressing that the dealer can't figure out how to remove the bezel as this is a standard procedure that the dealer is required to perform when the bezel is melted. 1: remove the cluster (3 clips on back side). 2: remove the torn screams from the back side (like T15 or T20, can't remember). Remove bezel and walla your looking at the gauge sans cover.

Personally I think it is a little lame to penalize customer for buying an aftermarket screen. If a certain screen was known for causing this more then others, I could understand, but the stock screen is the worst at this.

As to what the head office, aka warranty department knows, they know precisely what the dealer tells them or fails to mention.

P.S. if it's the second time it has occurred in the same year, then it is referred to as a "same or subsequent failure" and in that case BMW wants more details and I personally don't lie. But the first failure...... Just replace the damn thing and warn the customer that covering the windshield when parked in the sun is a good idea.

Dealers get reimbursed at cost + 40% on the parts and whatever their warranty labor rate is. My guess is the service manager doesn't like you, is on a power trip (very common) or has no idea what he is doing (very common).

Go to another dealer till you find a good one, thats what I would do.
  20. Happy Snapper

Happy Snapper GOMOB.

Oddometer:
    Hey guys.. does this make sense.

Down here in Australia I used to be involved with VDO Instruments. On their range of marine instruments they had problems like this.

What it actually was is as follows:

On the inside on the lens, a special anti fog coating was applied to the lens. But, in very hot conditions this would peel away from the lens and wrinkle up.. catching the pointer.

We were involved in servicing them and we would remove the lens and then simply throw the wrinkled plastic away. It sounds to me that this may be what your problem is.