'09 F800GS Speedometer melting?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by 4jranch, Oct 23, 2011.

1. 4jranch

4jranch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It looks like the piece with the numbers is what has wrinkled. I can't tell if that layer has two parts or is just one piece. As it is working ok for now I haven't taken it apart yet. I will try tinting the shield first. If the problem persists I will take it down and see what I can do with it. Appreciate the comments.
  2. JoelWisman

JoelWisman Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is easy to pull the instrument apart if you end up having to, easier then changing a tire. I wouldn't hesitate to do that if you end up needing to.
  3. 4jranch

4jranch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the encouragement. If I do I will post pictures for the ones to follow.
  4. 4jranch

4jranch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    With some difficulty applying to such a curved surface here is the Givi with the tint on the inner surface. I hope it will cool things down some.

Attached Files:

5. ERU

ERU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can u post a picture with your spedometer pls.

Thx.
  6. 4jranch

4jranch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can't see the problem in pictures. Hard to see the bubbled up face in person. Here are a couple with the hand stopped. Note the tach with no rpms.

Attached Files:

7. 4jranch

4jranch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Second one.

Attached Files:

8. 4jranch

4jranch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Took the bike to a different dealer after reinstalling the original windshield. They replaced the speedo without question, said they had seen several with the same problem.:clap

I can tell y'all it had nothing to do with the Givi windshield as after I understood the problem it would only happen when I was riding away from the sun and it was shining directly on the speedometer face.

Needless to say I will be taking my business to the 2nd dealer.
  9. schaffer40

schaffer40 I look lived in.....

Oddometer:
    Put the stock one on and take it to a different dealer.
  10. 'Flagger

'Flagger ..this space for rent..

Oddometer:
    He did. :lol
  11. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    Did they really replace the whole speedo or just the upper cover? What a waste that would be... :eek1
  12. 4jranch

4jranch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The whole thing, they said they could not just replace the plate.
  13. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    That's strange, the upper bezel is the only spare part that is readily available for the speedo...

If you have a crack in the back of the housing you need a whole new $800 assembly. :baldy
  14. lmclamore

lmclamore Citation Collector

Oddometer:
    Absolutely LukasM. My car's temp guage quit working right after the warranty expired. The service department could only recommend that my entire instrument cluster had to be replaced and reprogrammed to the tune of $1,500. And that was on a Ford made right here.

Needless to say, I now live with the temp reading on "overheated to the max" all the time. I do have an idiot light to let me know if that is ever really true.
  15. richard weed

richard weed Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had a "warped" speedo cover incident today. Driving home on the freeway after work and the speedo reads 50-70% off. Stop at a light, it works. Next light it doesn't. Stopped at my dealer, got the warped instrument cover story due to an aftermarket windshield. Known problem I asked? Oh yea says the service manager. I'm calling B/S on the windshield story but it was suggested to cover the speedo with a towel in hot weather/direct sunlight. That seems simple and reasonable. FYI
  16. Loufish

Loufish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My bezel on my 2016 F800 just melted down with a little pin hole....Told my dealer and he said no problem we'll get that replaced.....of course I do get great service....maybe it was the 200 bikes I bought from them over the last 2 years :)
  17. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    This is more common that one would think and not just on vehicles.
    I first noticed this on vinyl siding about 10 years ago. I went to a customers house on a service call and it looked like they had put the grill a bit too close to the house except there was a bush and no access for a grill where the siding was melted.
    I attributed it to the fact that the area was in an inside corner and the sun reflecting and being concentrated in the corner caused the problem so I did a little research and found that it is common and usually from the sun reflected off of THE NEIGHBOR'S windows. In some cases 20-30 feet or more away!

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/2012/05/17/melted-vinyl-siding

[​IMG]