09 F8GS 35Kw wheelie troubles

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Spikee, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Spikee

Spikee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello Guys,

Due to the shitty European motorcycle license law I had to restrict my 09 F800gs to 35Kw. This is probably done by limiting the gas travel.

While I would like to drive it off-road more often but that is basically illegal in my country so I have to stay on the roads.

When I try to wheelie using the "recommended" methods I found on this forum, my bike has a hard time...

The max I can get it up in the air is around 10 cm or so, after that it goes down again really fast.

The gearing is stock as far as I know of (16/42)

here is the dyno sheet:
    [​IMG]
    http://imgur.com/5Y9F4cz

I was thinking of changing the front sprocket to a larger/smaller size to improve the torque at the wheels a bit so it comes of the ground more easily. I went on a ride a week ago when it was ~32F (0.0 C) and how hard i tried my traction control comes never on.
    Any tips?

I don't ride on the motorway that often.

I know this is an unusual question :p

thanks,
    Spikee

Edit:
    The only thing that the first gear is usable for is driving away from the stop light.
    Slow speed maneuvering is always done int second gear as the first one is really twitchy.
    Top speed is 180 km/h
  2. Full Power

Full Power Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sell the BMW.
    Buy a 250
  3. gbtw

gbtw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :rofl I can't get it up either, but i have full power :D

You can offroad, just not everywhere :). For twichyness try some of the solutions, mines fine now. I still have one of those power cables if you want? I went the commandeer route myself and so far its been decent.
  4. Spikee

Spikee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    While a 250 or whatever might be fun in the twisties it is not suited for when i DO travel with the bike.

the 8GS is pretty much the only bike that fits the A2 license category that can haul loads of luggage, is comfortable for medium to long distances and has good power.

What is a power cable?

I live in zuid-limburg in the Netherlands and a forest is next to my house :)
    but when a bike goes into it the cops will show up within 15 minutes and give you a 200 euro fine.
    It is a pretty small forest so that is also a factor.

I might make a trip to the "vijlenerbos" in Vijlen , the netherlands or the forest near Preuswald Germany soon. It is close to the dutch / belgium / german border.
    When the cops come I can just skip the border ;)

As for power commander n stuff, my bike is limited now to 34,4Kw to be withing the law and to comply with my insurance.
    I don't want to cross the legal line because of insurance issues.

Im thinking of changing my front sprocket to 15 and feel the effect.
    The cost is only 18 euro or so.

I mostly drive in this area:
    https://www.google.nl/maps/@50.8599268,5.953604,12z?hl=en

Most widly know as the "mergellandroute". I want to take some trips to the german / belgian side when the weather gets a bit better then the 0 deg C / 32F we have at the moment.
  5. GeeK_InsiDe

GeeK_InsiDe Moore Gas!!!

Oddometer:
    Your 09 800GS doesn't have traction control, it's a 13+ feature.

Learn to know your bike, after that you could try wheelies.
  6. Spikee

Spikee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My bad, I got confused on all the features the newer BMW models have.
    Let me rephrase that to Even on colder outside temperatures the F8GS on it's current setup has plenty of traction. Even in hard rain the Bridgestone Battlewing tyres hold op perfectly.

Edit:
    Changing the front sprocket to 15 or 17 might just change the gear ratio to powerband to a better level than it now is with my restricted bike.
    And provide the acceleration that I would like.

I'm not looking for constant power wheelies or whatever, just wheelie when I'm in a low gear and really ask for it.
  7. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    A 15 tooth front will help a bit with that, but you should be able to do the same thing by slipping the clutch a little when you want to pop it up.
  8. Spikee

Spikee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I will make a video with my gopro this weekend if the weather isn't bad.
    So you guys can see what the current performance level is.

I will also try slipping the clutch again to pop a wheelie.
  9. GJGSRider

GJGSRider carver

Oddometer:
    Change your front sprocket to a 15 tooth. It gives a lower gear and will produce more torque. It will make wheelies easier.
  10. dpm

dpm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Might want to look at the throttle cam that the cable wraps around, behind the engine. Some variants have a cam with both the restricted and unrestricted channels, and I'm sure you could *quietly* swap the cable over.
  11. 97707

97707 addicted to placebos

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you're saying there is some sort of governor on the engine. That might be the first thing to look at.

Sure you can lower the gearing by changing sprockets, but that's also going to drop your top end speed and driving around performance. Not necessarily a great trade off just to pop the occasional wheelie . . . Unless you think it is.

I don't know about slipping the clutch. More like stoking some revs and then popping it. Try from a slow speed rather than a full stop, in first gear with your weight well back.

But really, wheelies result in a lot of accidents. (See Youtube) Not to mention beating up chains, sprockets, clutches, gearbox, yadayada.

But some folks just can't help getting their jollies. Like this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btRvVLA0KzM

12. 97707

Oddometer:
  13. gbtw

gbtw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  14. sarathmenon

sarathmenon Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Didn't you mean this guy?
  15. 97707

Oddometer:
  16. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Putting a 15 tooth sprocket on will lower your gearing about 6%. It will add about the same amount of torque doing that.

It is not that easy to pop wheelies with this bike. It has a long wheelbase. I think you are foolish trying on a version that makes less power than stock. You certainly will abuse the clutch trying. It is not known for its robust clutch to start with.
  17. B_C_Ries

B_C_Ries Long timer

Oddometer:
    The F800GS just doesn't wheelie very easily. I think the length of the swing arm has a lot to do with this. But they will wheelie if you want them too. BTW that guy in the video changed the sprockets, that can make a lot of difference.
  18. RobbieO

RobbieO Muskokatard

Oddometer:
    Like B_C_Ries says, the 800 is a bitch to wheelie!

This vid is of my old BMW 650- X-Country.
    I have shifted into 2nd gear and clutched up a wheelie. It just floats up....
    I can't do it on my 800 and have a hard time clutching up wheelies in first.....

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PNbr_Orel58" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  19. TomAZ1983

TomAZ1983 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Limiting motorcycle power? That's downright communist!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  20. Beairmo

Beairmo Keeping it real Supporter

Oddometer:
    God I hope the US Govt doesn't start pulling this crap. I know there are some that are trying. I would be figuring out a way to convert it back with power commander. That is just plain bullshit.