09 GS - GPS power issues

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by AustinXL, Jul 4, 2021.

1. AustinXL

AustinXL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have a 2009 F650GS - wired a Garmin GPS about 3 years ago to the GPS plug on top of battery. It used to act fine, GPS would give the “no power - shutting down” message once the key was turned off and it would power down.
    Now it has started staying on and attempting to charge once the ignition is off. Only change is that the GPS recently had a large software update…
    All wiring looks fine still, not sure where to go next with this. Better to just use some type of fuse block?
  2. ADVer

ADVer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a Zumo XT, a Montana 600 and auxiliary lights hooked up to the power connector above the battery.
    I have had similar issues, more so recently- so your software upgrade comment is interesting. Much harder for me to troubleshoot with multiple draws. I presumed the power draw was just too high and keeps the connector active. Kind of like if you plug in a BMW charger, it opens the circuit and in my case the auxiliary lights come on! So can’t use charger on the bike anymore.

I have found that if I manually turn the GPS’s off with the power buttons, the connector does power off (my cue is the auxiliary lights turning off finally). You may have a difficult time confirming whether the connector is off just going by the GPS screen though.
  3. FredRydr

FredRydr Danger: Keep Back 300 Ft.

Oddometer:
    I noticed the same issue with a Nuvi and a DriveSmart50 in my cars after updating them through Garmin Express last week. I had a hell of a time getting the DriveSmart to turn off. I also had some real problems with Express 7.7.0.0 and Garmin tech support acknowledged they had released it with bugs that had to be sorted out with a subsequent release. In other words, your issue might not be with your bike.
    AustinXL and ADVer like this.
  4. Vark

Vark Long timer

Oddometer:
    Definitely seems more related to the software update than any hardware on the bike.
    AustinXL likes this.
  5. AustinXL

AustinXL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    An update - I went back and did another update that had been released and it seems to have fixed the issue.
    ADVer and Vark like this.