1. eNewsletter Sign Up

09 GSA Damaged Wheel Spokes

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by NWB, Feb 1, 2016.

1. rvt

rvt Big Fat Trail Bikes

Oddometer:
    Personally I'd de-spoke it and lay the rim on a very flat surface. If the rim itself is not true within say 2-3mm, get another rim or outsource the job.
    Don't bother trying to adjust a spoke here and there, it will end in tears with x-lace.
    Be very methodical with your sequence.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  2. gr8ridn

gr8ridn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would submit you haven't asked Buchanans lately about the cross spoke wheels.

Two years ago I encountered head-shake from the front wheel of my 2013 GSW. I narrowed it to the front spoke wheel having excessive lateral run out. No impact damage, but a few of spokes were too loose after 8k miles. I tried a very meticulous and patient repair using a balance stand and dial indicator. Loosened the grub screws of the dull sounding spokes and slowly began tensioning the spokes an 1/8 of a turn at a time crisscrossing as I proceeded. Once close to the same sound of the tighter spokes I used a torque driver for final tightening to the specified 6 nm. Result was a total fail. The run-out was worse than when I started. I went through 2 days of frustrating retry s with no improvement in results. I had no bent or missing spokes.

Finally had to realize I was over my head so I called Buchanans wheel repair and they said they could do the work until they asked what motorcycle the wheel was off. When they learned this was a tubeless rim cross laced wheel they pointedly stated they don't do those rims, too difficult to get right.

Next call was to Woody's and they said send the wheel and they would advise an estimate of repair before work. From CA it took 2 days to Woody's and I was informed the wheel needed to be re-laced and the rim was warped so they could try to true it on their wheel press fixture. Giving the go ahead I was contacted two days later the wheel was repaired and exceeded the factory specs for lateral and radial run out. I was probably responsible for the warped wheel with all my attempts at truing. So a total of 5 days after sending in the rim I had a better than new wheel and the total cost including return shipping was less than $300.00. I used that wheel for over 30000 miles after the repair and it remained true and tight. It's amazing what a really true wheel does for the ride and handling of a motorcycle. My only regret was the time and frustration before admitting the repair was above my skill level and equipment. I should have made a warranty claim before trying to fix the problem, but on the positive side the replacement wheel probably would not be as straight or true as the Woody's work. BMW does not repair bent wheels, the usual is to replace the wheel if the warranty is approved.

There is a reason why wheel shops will not work on these cross spoke wheels and Woody's has customers from all over the globe. I don't feel so bad knowing that and now realize if the cross laced wheel is bent or way out of alignment Woody's is my go to shop.
  3. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    I'm glad I bought the tire and wheel insurance then. $600 for 5 years. If the tire gets a hole or the rim gets bent for any reason they put a new one on.
    Front got a screw in it on they way home from buying it. They put a new tire on the next day. I only have to do that four more times in 5 years to pay for it.

:eek7
  4. gregbenner

gregbenner Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am really curious, what is a potential cost of send the wheel to Woody's? Assume $75 for shipping to/from. Realize it depends, but if it's minor is it another $100, $250, $500 or more?
  5. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    You should be able to ship cheaper than that. Maybe $20-25 each way.

As for cost, PM or e-mail him, but it is on his web site.

http://www.woodyswheelworks.com/BMWTubelessSpokedWheels.html

Lace and True $150
    Partial Disassemble & Prep $30
    Complete Disassemble/Unlace $50
    Straighten Rim $50 - $150
  6. Djunta

Djunta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    With the second spoke out, the wheel starts out of true etc, less or more. It is not problem to fix it true, bat it is to be true and ALL spokes at the full working tension, at the same time.

The Gr8ridn"s story is is a common case. The new BMW 1.2GS, 8.000km, three professionals have tried to fix, have made runout and hop more than 10 mm, bagel with a few spokes to crack end.

At the beginning, the first look, ( click to see video, if not work, I"ll up on Youtube ):

[​IMG]

Fixed:

[​IMG]

And measured:

[​IMG]

The result is +/- <0,30 mm, calculated measured numbers, central axis is close to zero. So, recommendation is, send to Woody and drive safely with pleasure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    thirsty 1 likes this.
  7. RunninRanger

RunninRanger Rainy day Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great stuff guys! Web-cruisers to accomplished mechanics have commented here. Reading this post, I am reminded about those who comment about GS riders being unknowing, unable or unwilling to comment or share knowledge about an inmate's plight. Here's perfect evidence to the contrary.

In respect to NWB's wheel, it has been mentioned here prior and should be repeated that your bent wheel is a safety item with your very well being/life in the balance. Riding a motorcycle has inherent risk. Need you add to it if you haven't the wrenching chops? Make no compromise on safety. Please allow me to advocate for that.

I ride today by the grace of God, and the talent and experience he gave to those who have gone before me. Don't be a casualty of pride nor ignorance.
  8. gregbenner

gregbenner Long timer

Oddometer:

Thx Jim. You may be right on shipping, it just seems that anytime I ship something it cost more than I expect. Plus, I suppose in this case you would need to get the tire dismounted and then package the wheel. So maybe +- $400. Was always curious. My new wheel from Chicago BMW was $25 shipping, but they have commercial rates.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  9. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I shipped a Steele wheel a few days ago for under $20, but if you expedite it would cost more. Still, $400 is a lot cheaper than the $1200 new cost, and the wheel would be stronger after Woody finished his process than a new one would be.
  10. gregbenner

gregbenner Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree Jim. For my spare rear wheel for pavement use I bought a new cast wheel due to the price difference. I had never thought about a redone wheel being stronger.