09 Radiator Questions

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by fiwi, Feb 15, 2017.

1. fiwi

fiwi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello all

Its been along time since I have been on these pages, years in fact. Its nice to be back.

I damaged my radiator about 6000kms ago. I was riding on a sealed road which carried on onto an unsealed road. I didnt even think about turning the abs off. I came up to a sharp turn too fast and had no ability to slow down in time. Off the road I went into and tree. Not a big deal for me, but a tree branch pierced the top of the radiator causing some minor damage.

20170215_135325.jpg
    There is a small amount of weeping coming from the damaged area. I have topped up the overflow a couple of times since it happened but I didnt really think much of it. Its only when I got the bike out today after not using it for the last 10 months and noticed the overflow was totally empty. Radiator is full though. I want to start using the bike more again (not for big trips, just local).
    What are peoples opinions on this?. Replace radiator without a second thought or top up the overflow when required and accept a minor leak?
    Also, seeing as the leak is at the top of the radiator, does this mean that Im likely to just lose coolant from the overflow, and once that is empty the leak would diminish for the most part, or will it continue to leak due to pressure?.
    I dont know at what rate the coolant is leaking. I have topped up the overflow and will monitor this over the coming days/weeks and see how fast I lose it.

Sooo, if I replace it (the smart option), what are my options?. Im guessing they are costly, havent priced one yet. Are there any cheaper ones available instead of buying through bmw? I live in Perth, Western Australia. I dont think there are many options here.

My next point. If I stick with the radiator I have, can I do anything about the hole?. I also need to fix or replace a couple of things.
    20170215_133015.jpg
    Bottom right mount is broken. Any ideas how I may fix this or is should I just cable tie it to the bracket?.

Also, the rubber piece(not sure what its called) is missing from the bottom left mount. Would any one have a part number and name available?
    20170215_132333.jpg

Any help or opinions would be much appreciated.

Grant
  2. _Magoo_

_Magoo_ master of disaster....

Oddometer:
    that will buff right out, mate---

:hide
  3. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Take it out and bring it to a radiator repair shop. Those guys can work magic.
  4. machinebuilder

machinebuilder Long timer

Oddometer:
    you probably need to double check the rest of your mounts.
    Here is a write up I did on how I had to fix all of my mounts.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/radiator-mount-damage-and-repair.974095/

You can buy the mount for the top broken mounts but if the bottom are broken your doing something else.

as I recall these radiators are very expensive and not easy to find used, the local radiator shop might be a good stop.

If you dig through some of the other threads I recall the thermostat is part of the tank so its not easy to rig an aftermarket on in either.

Good luck and write up what you do.
  5. fiwi

fiwi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies guys
    Will take the radiator to the repair shop, theres one just around the corner from work. If that works out then I will drill and zip tie the bottom right bracket in place.
    As far as the rubber grommet for the bottom left mount is concerned, do you think I could buy that separately or would it only be available in a kit?. Is there a comprehensive online parts list for these bikes online ?, part names, part numbers etc

Thanks
    Grant
  6. Nickhob

Nickhob Armchair adventurer

Oddometer:
  7. fiwi

fiwi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Nick
    Nickhob likes this.