1 3/4 Bar Risers/ longer levers?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by proeasy, Jul 11, 2017.

1. proeasy

proeasy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The 20mm bar risers did not do it for me on my F800 GSA, ordered a set of Rox Risers. Via some posts see that hopefully cables will be fine if the brake and clutch are moved in a bit. I am 6'1"

In doing this, has anyone investigated a source of longer clutch and brake levers to compensate if you have to move both controls inward a bit. Found this place that offers a long at 7 inches or a short at 5.7. Any idea what stock is?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shorty-Long...-R-/291870758311?_trksid=p2385738.m2548.l4275

Paul
  2. zack753

zack753 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I hadn't heard about moving the controls inward, but when I installed my Rox risers, I did have to extend both the upper brake line and the clutch cable.

I ordered a Spiegler brake line right on their website, super easy and not too expensive.

As for the clutch, I had to have a custom cable made by Motion Pro. Called them up and they were super helpful, but I had to send them the cable and then wait for them to make and ship the longer one. Took almost two weeks, but in the end it was great. Maybe you've got better options here on a GSA though, mine is a 2012.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
  3. 2wxplorr

2wxplorr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What size riser did you get that forced you to extend these cables?
  4. zack753

zack753 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have the 2" riser.

5. proeasy

proeasy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Risers came and installed, no issues. So far cables seem to ok for length. No need to move controls inward

Paul
    2wxplorr likes this.
  6. Dimond

Dimond Adventurer

Oddometer:
    zack753 likes this.
  7. zack753

zack753 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    $61, which I believe included return shipping. I didn't think it was bad at all, only I'm impatient and didn't have a clutch cable for two weeks.

8. bnc1

bnc1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For you guys that have a 2013 or newer F800GS and can't find a brake line long enough to work with the 1 3/4 inch Rox Riser, here you go: https://www.helibars.com/products/Hydraulic-Line-Extension-%2d-5-1{47}8-inch-(13cm)-length/618.html The brake line extender cost is $30.

I bought and installed my Rox Riser last year, but found that I could only use about 25 percent of the adjustment range due to the OEM brake line being a bit too short. I was not able to find, or custom order, a longer brake line. In 2013, BMW started using a different brake line that is flexible from the master cylinder to the frame and then changes directly to a hard line the rest of the way to the ABS module. One of the major brake line companies offered a longer replacement line for a short while but then stopped for some reason, not sure why unless they started having trouble with the replacement lines. Anyway, I just happened upon this brake line extender by HeliBars while I was reading a ride report here the other night. It was on a V-Strom or something other than a BMW, but I figured it might be worth trying. So, I ordered it, got it in the mail 3 days later, and installed it in less than 30 minutes. Hardest part of the installation was getting the darn cap off the master cylinder reservoir! The brake line extender fits like a charm, and now I can swivel the handlebars as far back as the Rox Riser will go without putting strain on the brake line. Here's a photo of the extender installed on my bike:

2017-10-15 13.24.28.jpg
    darmahman likes this.
  9. SubAtomicGenius

SubAtomicGenius Moto Villian

Oddometer:
    Just went through this discussion with Rox, their 1-3/4 riser is supposed to fit stock cable lengths on the GS's and their 2"+ requires new clutch, brake, and potentially throttle cables/hoses. I will be going this route over the winter and I will report back. I may go the motion pro route as well for the clutch cable.

1-3/4" Riser:
    Take note that the cables and lines will most likely end up short on the F800Gs with the 2 inch risers. We built the 3R-P2PPLK for the F800GS so you can use the OEM cables and lines.

2" Riser :
    The P2PPS10K has a longer bottom post for bikes with an angled handlebar clamp.
    Yours would use the P2PPK if you think you can get a 2 inch riser on it. Again, we built the 3R-P2PPLK around the F800GS.

Front brake fluid reservoir: FYI, a length of steel tie wire wrapped around the bottom of the cap lightly and twisted is just enough to press in the two locking tabs - works perfectly and without effort.