1,300 miles, 4-6 days, $500, on a scooter

Discussion in 'Americas' started by twistedkeys, Dec 9, 2011.

1. RVDan

RVDan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Worst thing that can happen is you die

Second worst thing, you have to sell the scooter to a pawn shop for a bus ticket home.
  2. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    First, it's great that you can talk to at least your Dad and have what sounds like his support. Work with him and you're both going to enjoy this more, plus it will bring you closer. Hopefully you can include your Mom too, but you didn't mention her so dunno.

As others wrote, if you are on a permit, you will need to know the laws for each State you plan to ride in. Some are very restrictive. There is absolutely no good reason to not simply get the license, especially since you are road riding anyway. Especially under 18, this will probably mean taking the msf class, so find one and sign up now. Any motorcycle dealer can give you the class contacts for your area.

btcn gave you a great summary about the bike. Listen to him. btw - Those scooters are staples of college life and you can generally find them cheap in university and police impounds or on Craigslist.

Yes the Honda ought to do it, but not at the speed you are probably getting from the web somewhere. Even setting aside the fast handling of a scooter at highway speeds, all day at even near highway speeds on a scooter would make me continually wonder when my mis-use would result in the bike dying. Try planning for the 45-ish mph cruise and anything past that is gravy.

Plan for side roads for a couple of reasons in addition to speed. Scooters with no license plate on a highway will get you to meet Mr. State Patrol, as vehicles on a highway need plates. And while the 80+cc Honda engines technically/officially/new meet the 5 hp requirement to get on the highway, most officers won't know that and will assume you shouldn't be there, especially if you look like a kid running away from home.

Watch your total weight. Since you won't be able to use highways, the use of side roads means more hills, plus you're already at higher elevation. Right after sustained high speed, load is the biggest thing that you can do to help or kill a small engine.

Money-wise you should be OK at $100/day, especially if you camp or couch-surf.

You're going to college, so get a credit or debit card anyway! Use it for your gas and you can carry less cash. It will take care of torn tires and gives you a way to buy a bus ticket if needed. Borrow a credit card from the folks if you need to, but plastic is irreplaceable when you need it.

Check your cellphone &/or data plan for both coverage and roaming charges. You can also download one of the tracking apps that make friends envious and allow your folks a LOT more comfort in knowing where you are.

Don't assume this is your last hurahh before college, marriage, kids, and slow death! We hoomanz do those things well and have a blast when done with true honesty, kindness, and right intent. (both inward and to others) We really screw them up when we try to cram into what we think that others will think that we are supposed to do. My son's just finishing college & found that his bike (WeeStrom) has been an effective filter for meeting guys and figuring out which girls have his tastes and interests.
  3. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    well I am all for it. In case you haven't already, here is a kid who did LA to NY on a Honda C70, for all that say NO. He is also a teen like you and is very good at wrenching.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=716516

I have not read all 4-5 pages of this topic, just 2, but I say it can be done! I would be careful once you get close to LA because in California small bikes are not welcome, and illegal in some Interstates, so secondary roads are a most.

If you have time dip down to Baja!

Damasovi
  4. leewildwater

leewildwater rrrrRide Man rrrrRide

Oddometer:
    out riding my two legged horse near Bryson City NC
    Would you belive me if I told you it was a USFS prescribed burn?
  5. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    On a local Dusty Butt 1000 (1000km in 24hrs, 75% dirt/gravel) ride we had a challenge section where you had to ride 125cc or smaller.

2 finished in <24hrs. One was a KDX125 2 stroke.
  6. PonyExpres

PonyExpres ScratchinMyAss

Oddometer:
    I recently read about a Korean guy named Wan who went 18,000 miles on a 50cc Honda Ruckus.

http://totalruckus.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=16406

Once I started reading this I could not stop. I think Wan's adventure would easily encourage you to go for it as well as give you some good ideas on what you should pack, what sort of problems to expect and how Wan dealt with them.

He too chose a 50cc scooter to deal with the Po Po's; however, I think in 18k miles he had 10 encounters with the law. Most folks said he used Jedi Mind Tricks in those instances and wound up befriending all but one of those law dogs.

I think one thing Wan had in his favor was that he was riding a Honda. Finding parts out on the road may be a little easier this way. I think the biggest issue he had mechanically was flat tires. Sounds like he replaced 4 tires. I surmised that may have been because he spent so much time riding on the shoulder due to speed.

Seems like Wan averaged 150 to 200 miles per day so I'm thinking your 4 to 6 day estimate may be pushing it. 6 to 10 days may be better for you and your scooter but you may need to pack more.

I'm riding a 250 cc Yamahog myself and am contemplating 300 to 400 mile trips next summer. Mostly fishing and camping. Look around for a V-Star 250 or a Honda 250 Rebel. Take the riding test and get your license.

If this is not possible, use the scooter and don't ask more of it than it is made for. Take your time and have fun...
  7. jetjackson

jetjackson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I say take a little longer, if you are pushing 15-20 hour days it will take the enjoyment out of it a bit just from the fatigue. Take a little longer, it won't matter. Oats is a cheap as hell breakfast food that will fill you up with carb's for the long days, just add boiling water and stir, might not taste great but what the hell right...

Second the idea to couch-surf, I am sure the CS community would be happy to assist you along in your journey.
  8. twistedkeys

twistedkeys Utahrd

Oddometer:
    Thanks, great thread over there :D
  9. twistedkeys

twistedkeys Utahrd

Oddometer:
    Oh nice, thanks. I thought I'd live off of tuna and cold beans :evil I like the oats idea better....
  10. jetjackson

jetjackson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No sweat, Tuna is good but price per gram for protein is a bit high in that, but beans, tuna, oats for breakfast, you should be sweet, bit of rice, some fruit and vegetables, hard boiled eggs. Yoghurt on the fly for calcium and energy.

I have jetboil which is great for doing this stuff on the road. But it costs about $90 from memory. That's almost a fifth of your budget.
  11. twistedkeys

twistedkeys Utahrd

Oddometer:
    Speaking of budget I had a guy offer me a job for May because I have to be 18, nice guy, good work, and if I get it it'll boost my budget from $500 to $700-$800, if not more if I decide to get a 250cc and make it a vacation to baja :deal:rilla
  12. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you still need to buy a stove, buy a pocket rocket, half the price of jet boil and runs for days on a single small butane can.:freaky Oats in the AM, beans in the PM whatever inbetween....your set.

Save as much as humanly possible and buy the best bike you can afford and make sure it's serviced well etc before you leave.
    Then steal the parent's credit cards for a just in case issue...with their permission that is....

People have travelled for decades on piss pot sized machines and have always made it home as long as you realize what it's limits are. Try not to ring it's neck and it'll be fine.:freaky
  13. twistedkeys

twistedkeys Utahrd

Oddometer:
    Pocket rocket? [​IMG] :deal

But yeah totally I hope I can get a decent bike, and I'm going to need a drivers license for the job so that's good. Sucks a$$ you have to have a car license for 1 year before you can apply for a motorcycle endorsement, that's just BS and of all places....

Man everyday I think about this ride, if it all comes together nicely it'll be a helluva adventure. :D:1drink
  14. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
  15. twistedkeys

twistedkeys Utahrd

Oddometer:
  16. thunderkat59

thunderkat59 Old cooter on a slow scooter

Oddometer:
    Go for it ! What an awesome plan !! :beer

Ive done many hi-mileage days on my old Stella 150.
    400 one day and a lot of 100+ club ride days.
    No problem at all. I would try to keep to more rural roads
    and not try to hurry. As mentioned, people do hi-mileage
    adventures on pee-wee bikes all the time. There are lots of
    stories about them on this forum. Take it slow and enjoy the
    scenery. Make sure you have flat-tire fix etc . . . I think it
    will be something you will regret not doing later, if you dont.
    Ive never had an MC license in 35 years and I've never
    had a problem. Just do like you mentioned and get the
    Learners Permit 'cuz you dont want to be caught in
    DeliveranceVille with nothing at all :eek1
    I disagree with your sister--I find traveling to be one of the
    most soul enriching and useful things a person can do.
    The slower you go, and more stuff you take in, the better.

If you follow through, please post pictures up, OK :thumb
  17. twistedkeys

twistedkeys Utahrd

Oddometer:
    Nice, yeah I didn't really think cops really hassled scooterists, mostly because what are they gonna do? What harm are scooters going to cause other motorists/peds? Esp 800 miles away from home. But yeah I will def post videos and pictures. And if I have the budget get a gopro and make a series. :lurk
  18. ThomasVolomitz

ThomasVolomitz New Old Stock

Oddometer:
    My best adventures were when I was young and broke. 25 countries on hopes, dreams and youthful energy. Just go and don't fret. You will never regret the travel you do as a young person.

It will make you well rounded and confident and teach you things you can't learn in a classroom. After all, life boils down to how well you get along with others. Traveling is the best teacher. Only my opinion!
  19. twistedkeys

twistedkeys Utahrd

Oddometer:
    :thumb:thumb:thumb
  20. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just my 2 cents worth....I bought a GoPro.....thought I was going to use it none-stop for my cross country adventure....ya right! After the first attemp, fuck it! It sat useless in my tank bag collecting dust and has sat ever since in a cupboard ever since. Don't waste your hard earned money on rich kid's toys! Spend it on gas and food etc. Buy a cheap shoot and point digital camera and some memory cards.......seriously! What you will need in batteries will cover the camera!
    I'd sell mine except I modified it to run off of the bike's electricity supply to save on batteries.

As for your paperwork, as long as you aren't attracting negative attention as in loud pipe or stupid behavior, you won't get into any trouble I'm sure about paperwork.

It's not like you're spending your life's savings, like the other member here, $20,000......seeing as you are doing this for peanuts I say go for it and have a great time. You never need to spend thousands as buddy was thinking. I travel all over Canada and spend at most $3500 to cross it and get home again and that was paying to camp everynight! Everything gas, food etc. I even bought the misses a nuggett from Dawson while I was there. $20,000 my arse! I also ride a whale of a bike compared to your scoot, klr685 fully modded so it's a tad bit thirstier than yours!

Your biggest expence will be breakdowns IF you haven't planned it right.:freaky