1,300 miles, 4-6 days, $500, on a scooter

Discussion in 'Americas' started by twistedkeys, Dec 9, 2011.

1. twistedkeys

twistedkeys Utahrd

Oddometer:
    Right on, thanks dude.
  2. Matt-tastic

Matt-tastic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, I think I'd try to stick to backroads if possible on the scooter. I'd not want to ride one on the highway for any extended amount of time. I've had experience attempting to keep up on Zuma 125 for about 15 miles one night, and it was not fun at all. Would a beat up ex250 be too much to spring for? I'd seriously attempt to find something like that or maybe an xr250 or drz400 if you can legally ride one. They would at least all keep up with traffic and not be bad on gas. As far as the budget, $100 a day on a motorcycle with some creativity as far as lodging and food I'd think would be plenty!
  3. twistedkeys

twistedkeys Utahrd

Oddometer:
    As I've said, the main reason for a scooter is because they're notoriously more reliable and get much better MPG. That's it, other than that I'd take a real bike in a heart beat :evil But thanks for the post :D
  4. VelvtRide

VelvtRide i can haz a motrsykle?

Oddometer:
    Go and have fun! :clap
  5. Inoplanetyanin

Inoplanetyanin One day closer!

Oddometer:
    Hey, your idea is great and I think you can definitely do it. I do these kind of trips all the time - on a 50 cc 2009 honda metropolitan. In fact I rode from LA to death valley and there is plenty of gas in Death Valley. You would still be wise to have an extra gallon.

Any 4 cycle Honda scooter in decent condition can go reliably for thousands of miles. Of course you need to know it well and know what are its weak points... Bringing a belt alone with you is wise if the existing belt is old, worn out, or shows some signs of damage.

I think if you wear a high visibility vest, a bright helmet and watch your rear view mirror, your chances of being run over decrease but of course it's like with any slower moving vehicle - there is always a chance.

People are friendly and theft is unlikely unless you leave it unlocked in some bad area for a long time. :) Loaded bike is harder to steal and I think less people will try to do that.

I am in LA and if you make your way here, let me know and I will meet with you and buy you dinner and beer (if you drink). :)

Good luck.
    Michael.
  6. leewildwater

leewildwater rrrrRide Man rrrrRide

Oddometer:
    out riding my two legged horse near Bryson City NC
    Follow Up ; did the ride without any problems. The 385cc took me to sea to sea just fine. Stayed off interstates and out of stop and go trafic when possible and had a grand time. Concluded the best bike for a cross country trip is the brunt out scooter I already have.

7. twistedkeys

twistedkeys Utahrd

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tips man! :D Pretty amazing you did it on a Metro, those are so small, esp for me being 6'2'!
  8. twistedkeys

twistedkeys Utahrd

Oddometer:
    NICE! Glad to hear. I'll see where my job goes and plan it accordingly.
  9. conchscooter

conchscooter Long timer

Oddometer:
    I rode across country in 1981 on a brand new Vespa P200E when I was 23. It's threads like these that put me off the Internet, because back then you just did it and hoped for the best, there was less second guessing and worrying at some level. I read about a guy who rode a Vespa to Tokyo from Italy to see the Olympics and figured crossing the US would be a piece of cake so I did it. No GPS no worries about a two stroke engine and so on and so forth.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251907&highlight=VESPA+TRANSAMERICA

Now I'm thinking about a quick five day trip out of Flatistan to the Blue Ridge mountains and here I am online wondering who has advice and a new and fresh route to Asheville etc...etc...Hell, I have a big bad motorcycle and tons of experience. As a rule we need to spend more time riding and less time worrying and thinking. Go off, take your Elite ( get a frigging license! Why risk getting busted when you wreck and meet the fuzz?) and wander and make memories. NOW.
  10. twistedkeys

twistedkeys Utahrd

Oddometer:
    :thumb