1,651 Mile Fly-and-Ride on a 2014 Honda CB500F

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by radare, Jul 3, 2019.

1. keithg

keithg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    a Confederate flag is "Racist"? South lost thousands during the Civil War and many families never forget their loved ones.
    rufus likes this.
  2. fateddy

fateddy \m/

Oddometer:
    ftfy
    brianpeck likes this.
  3. radare

radare Tryin' to get out of the box

Oddometer:
    I think what gets me is that most reviews I read said it was a beginner bike, only friendly around town. YouTube reviewers routinely said it wasn’t for freeway travel. I don’t know what they were talking about. I agree, uninformed. I just did 130 miles at 75 through Tulsa without a lick of trouble. Bike runs right at 6k rpm’s at 75. Very comfortable.

I like riding on Oklahoma. The roads in NE Oklahoma are a lot of fun. Curvy with trees on both sides of the road, canopy over top, cooling the air and adding an extra sense of speed.

D0350BC3-7AF2-47EF-BCE8-06F2E1E304F8.jpeg

While taking this picture, two guys stopped to ask if I was okay, one in a van and one on a bike. That’s pretty cool!

C7C94F85-60E2-456B-AD8B-F47C943BA2FA.jpeg
  4. radare

Oddometer:
    I am currently getting some much needed lunch on the west side of Tulsa. I found the only shade and it was just big enough for my bike.

D2B47F3C-83D3-4FC0-B582-59CDA711BBC5.jpeg

My ass is totally killing me. Like sitting on nails bad. I think it’s caused by my jeans and underwear. They are a little loose in the seat and bunch up when I sit on the bike. I’ve been sitting on those wrinkles for a thousand miles and my skin has had enough.

After I eat, I’m going to run into the nearby Walmart and get some tight fitting underwear and see if I can find some pants without back pockets. I’m gonna look for cream. Maybe diaper cream. The numbing kind.

Any advice on what I can do to get some relief?
    Phipsd likes this.
  5. fateddy

fateddy \m/

Oddometer:
    Take more breaks
    Synthetic drawers - Target sells good snug compression briefs
    Anti Monkey Butt powder
    Bodyglide
    Beadrider seat cover
    Stay hydrated
    Ibuprofen
  6. Phipsd

Phipsd Older but not wiser.

Oddometer:
    I have a camp pad from Walmart. It's 1 CM thick high density waterproof foam. Using a piece of cereal box I make a template of the shape I want. You can add layers. It costs almost nothing and I can keep it in my tankbag or backpack when not needed. I tape it on.
    Or I use my Airhawk. Mine fits perfectly on my CB500 seat. A longer term solution is say an inch and a half memory foam added to the F's seat. The seat is easily removable and a simple shape, it should be easy to do. A plan B would be to get some padded riding pants like the cyclists use. There's always a way.
  7. Phipsd

Phipsd Older but not wiser.

Oddometer:
    When I started riding we rode our Honda 350's all over the place including long trips. That was a 26 HP motorcycle. My 450 Honda which was a great touring bike, was a 32 HP motorcycle. A 650 Yamaha, a big road burner at the time was a 42 HP motorcycle. So is our 500F. Riders have been brainwashed into thinking 1000cc and 100 HP aren't enough. The manufacturers have benefitted mightily from keeping the lust machine going for ever bigger more powerful, more expensive machines. It wasn't until I took a 500F for a really good ride in the twisties and found myself having way more fun that I would've on my V2 V-strom 1000 ;that my eyes were opened.

I don't need big inch thrills anymore. Big inch thrills will get me into legal trouble and cost me money I don't have. Now I ride for the pure pleasure of riding and for that you can't beat a good 500.
  8. radare

Oddometer:
    6EA8A8D6-FE5B-4135-A2D3-32884DF54664.jpeg

I stopped at a Sonic in Blackwell Oklahoma (I think that’s where I am) and I’ve been looking at the bike while enjoying a blue coconut slushy. Check out that shift linkage.
  9. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    Use Neosporen with pain relief for Monkey-butt. A little dab will do you.
    Bead seat would help with ventilation. Personally, I have the Seat concepts Tall Rally seat, I use an Air Hawk with a sheepskin cover. But then I'm a tender-butt. The CB500X is a great bike but you gotta set the ergos to suit you.
  10. radare

Oddometer:
    99EA50E8-FBBD-420E-9219-6F38D0D90C80.jpeg

I can’t say exactly why but I love the long open expanses of Northern Oklahoma.
    staticPort and jdfog2 like this.
  11. radare

Oddometer:
    6C613095-01F8-4164-8E8F-C931BFDC24BC.jpeg
    shoeb, Stubanger, YellerDog and 2 others like this.
  12. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I lived in Central Oklahoma for 10 years and went to NW and North Central OK as often as I could.
    It's weird - you describe it to someone and they give you a stare like "who the heck would like that?"

Nice ride report!
  13. Karlfitt

Karlfitt Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    For relief I were cycling shorts when I ride, both my bicycle and the motorcycle.

As for large bikes, I sill like mine.

But a few years ago I had my eyes re-opened.
    I haven't owned a small bore bike for a long time.
    A friend of mine had a daughter that owned a Ninja 250 that had some issues. So many issues in fact that she moved and left the bike at her mom's house. I agreed to take a look at the bike.
    The carbs were way gummed up. I found a new used set on Ebay really cheap so I bought them and put them on the bike. It was a fun little runner when I test rode it.
    Then it came time to get the bike back to her rightful owner. Trailer? NO I rode the bike the 250 miles to deliver it, freeways and all.
    Yes you could shift to 6th gear by about 45 MPH, then the only thing to increase speed was more revs, but that little motor didn't care. It just spun away while I cruised down the road.

Little bikes are a lot more capable than people give them credit for.
    doc4216 likes this.
  14. radare

Oddometer:
    3EB9EF58-9179-4031-883D-9A0B1BF1AADA.jpeg

I’m a few miles east of Ashland Kansas and the sun is almost completely set. There’s a mild breeze and the moon is out.

Bug level is set to 11!

6A8CFCCA-DA46-4B46-84ED-1A6115EB822B.jpeg
  15. alex4515

alex4515 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great adventure so far!
    staticPort likes this.
  16. rufus

rufus We're burning daylight...

Oddometer:
    CLOTRIMAZOLE.........that is the ingredient you want.

It is sold as jock itch/ antifungal/athletes foot medicine.

It is ABSOLUTELY the best monkey butt medicine I have ever used. The cheap walmart/equate brand is as good as the name brand. You will thank me later.
  17. radare

Oddometer:
    I’m gonna hit Walmart on my way out of town. Awesome. Yesterday’s 500 miles was less than comfortable.
  18. radare

Oddometer:
    You’d be surprised how many songs you can come up with to the tune of Sweet Caroline. The horn is great at doing the bum, bum, bum part.

“I hate these bugs, bum-bum-bum, they keep getting in my nose”

Or

“Look at those cows, bum-bum-bum, they are running in the grass”.

Or

“My butt hurts, bum-bum-bum, this seat is giving me a rash.”
    Stubanger and hound dogger like this.
  19. radare

Oddometer:
    This morning I woke up way late and didn’t really wasn’t to spend the time but really wanted to deal with the bugs. I found a car wash in Dodge City.

4684DC88-CE71-4BE5-A85B-16E527C29613.jpeg

I had 1400 miles of gunk to wash off the bike. The bugs were the worst of it.

0EF22F97-7420-4B4E-BF0E-15847CF663C2.jpeg

I spent way too much money but the bike cleaned up well. It doesn’t smell like burning grasshoppers anymore.

F7B66299-29F7-446E-A3A8-C48592016FF1.jpeg

I’m in Garden City getting lunch. Admittedly, I’m sick if Subway. It’ll be good to be back to mountain time.
    Stubanger likes this.
  20. radare

Oddometer:
    2952E0AF-D9A1-4C33-B0A5-45AF69D727FC.jpeg

I don’t know why, and unexpectedly, I teared up when I stopped at the Welcome to Colorado sign.
    eaglescan likes this.