1 Day - Southern UT, best loop?

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Golden955, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Golden955

Golden955 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    i have a few days away from the wife and kids, the last few years I've done the Sturgis area, Taos, and Yellowstone area this time of year. This year I would like to see all I can see in 1 day heading out from Monticello, UT (Friday is a ride from Dillon Co over independence Pass to Monticello, Sunday I need to get back to Golden, CO).

I guess I should point out, looking for a road ride, will be on my Triumph Sprint. I've done Moab and immediate surrounding area to death so nothing new to see there.

I usually spend 8-9 hours on the bike on these trips knowing mileage means different things depending in the terrain and stops.

What say you riders, what's a good one day loop to see all I can see.

Thanks,
    Bob
  2. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Down to Bluff, across to Mexican Hat, north up the Moki Dugway (stop at goosenecks, and Muley Point) then ride to Hite for gas, take some pics at the overlook, Turn back and ride into Blanding past Comb Ridge on Hwy 95, there's some backtracking but being next to Canyonlands limits the amount of paved roads near Monticello. If the Bullfrog Ferry is running that'd make a interesting loop.
  3. SAM13

SAM13 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’d do the loop above, not only because it’s scenic, but because it’s really the only paved loop in SW Utah..... my only change would be that I would ride it in the reverse , counter clockwise, direction only because I feel it gives you more scenic views while your riding. Moki has easy dirt but Muley has some sand pits, just FYI if that’s not in your skill set.
  4. Golden955

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys, this is exactly what I was looking for. Am I reading about Moki Dugway correctly that the dirt is on the ascent from the south but paved the rest of the way? Something about handling 10% downhills on dirt with my PR5 shod Sprint would freak me out a little.

The ferry is intriguing just for the novelty of it, great idea. It looks to be open right now, will cross fingers the water level stays high enough.

Thanks again.
  5. DADODIRT

DADODIRT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the only dirt is the ascent from the south. I've seen big HD's on it, both directions. It's wide and hard packed.
  6. Golden955

Oddometer:

Ha ha ha, now that's the motivation I needed, bike shaming!! Moki Dugout it is.

Thanks again all of you, will report back in when I'm back.
  7. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Don't miss Goosenecks at the bottom and Muley point (dirt road going west right at the top of the dugway).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    wbunt likes this.
  8. ATCguy

ATCguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ll be in the Monument Valley area for a few days at the end of the month. Thanks for the info... sounds like fun riding.
  9. Golden955

Oddometer:

Whoa nelly, now I'm really getting excited for the trip.
    RideFreak likes this.
  10. jjustj

jjustj Long timer

Oddometer:
    goods necks is a few miles in and out from hwy. worth it!
  11. Golden955

Oddometer:

FYI, that second photo is amazing. The low clouds, the shadows, god it looks peaceful.
  12. Boulder Ed

Boulder Ed Bin Ridin

Oddometer:
    mogi is doable on street tires just fine, especially up. Personally I would defer to taking 95 straight out of Blanding ( a few miles south on 191) then riding to Hanksville, grabing a bite to eat and turning around and coming back on the same road (95). If you don't go all the way to Hanksville, at least go as far as Hite, and get fuel as there is none out there unless thing changed since i was last there 6 years ago. If you feel like seeing the sights around Mogi, which is hard to not want to do, hit it on the way back, its only 3 miles long. I think 95 itself is classic Utah scenic both directions and you won't see the best of it if you simply do the circle up Mogi out to 95 and hang a right back to Blanding/Montecello.
  13. Golden955

Oddometer:
    OK guys, back in Golden. I had one of those perfect days on the bike yesterday. High 60s, light breeze, mostly sunny with some high clouds.

I rode a circle eight, started in Monticello, rode down to Mexican hat, up the Moki, west and north on 95 past Hite and down 276 across the ferry to 95 east to Blanding and back to Monticello. It seemed like they had fresh pavement on about half the trip. The dirt was fun to go up the side of a cliff. The gooseneck was well worth the $2 and a few mile side trip. I did ride right past the top turnoff, I guess a reason to go back.

The views were amazing the entire day, I must have had a grin on my face the whole day.

Thanks everybody, great time. IMG_20190921_102508.jpg IMG_20190921_105416.jpg IMG_20190921_125608.jpg IMG_20190921_150846_01.jpg IMG_20190921_170023.jpg
    RideFreak likes this.
  14. Golden955

Oddometer:
    IMG_20190921_112517.jpg
  15. Blakebird

Blakebird r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer:
    Next time you go back - from Hanksville take 12 thru Capital Reef, Torrey, etc down towards Bryce Cyn. A "down and back" on UT12. :nod
    If you can do a little graded dirt, check out the Burr Trail (paved out of Boulder for a while, then dirt down towards Bullfrog Marina.) The Waterpocket Fold switchbacks are great (unless it's raining :D )
    Golden955 likes this.