1 Mom, 2 Teenage Sons & 9K Miles Western US Motorcycle Trip

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by AdrenalineGirl, Apr 23, 2015.

1. AdrenalineGirl

AdrenalineGirl Adventure Junky

Oddometer:
    "Hey boys, do you want to head out west on our motorcycles this summer?"

"YES! WHEN?" was the enthusiastic response I got in return.

Isn't that how most motorcycle trips with Mom start? I suppose, but to be honest, I wasn't sure what to expect. So even after I reminded them that they'd be stuck with me for two months, they were still fired up and ready to go. With that amount of enthusiasm, I figured it was ok to let the trip planning begin.

My job is flexible (I am a marketing consultant and can work from wherever I am). The boys, Riley is 16 and Robbie is 18, have taken 2 months off from their jobs. My husband Lorin is the least flexible with his career and will be joining us for the first week, a week in the middle, and the last week of our rambling journey. You can read a bit more about us here (if you'd like).

[​IMG]

Since we still have snow on the ground here in Upper Michigan, the next three weeks are going to be a crazy scramble to get our bikes, ourselves, and our gear ready for the next 9,000 miles. Here's our tentative route:

[​IMG]

My plan is to camp out as much as possible, visit some family along the way, ride a lot of epic roads, and to show my boys some of this country's most gorgeous places. Oh, and blog about it along the way.

Info on our bikes, gear, etc., will follow soon...

Flyin' Monkeys and piratehood like this.
  2. Gale B.T.

Gale B.T. Long timer

Oddometer:
    With a trip like this , with family , all on individual bikes, you can bet there will be lots of us ADV type following your adventure.

Ride safe/smart
    Best of everything!!
  3. DaMonk45

DaMonk45 I B Da Monk

Oddometer:
    Im In.
  4. Shmily

Shmily Adventurer

Oddometer:
    With a hot biker mom like that, I'm in....
  5. OnTheWay

OnTheWay Rock Liu

Oddometer:
    Fascinating!

I've enjoyed following along! :clap:clap:clap

Three boys there?

[​IMG]
  6. old fart bob

old fart bob Armchair adventurer

Oddometer:
    You did almost the same trip we did last year except we got chased out of Oregon because of the forest fires. I wanted to go down through California, across the south and back up through Missouri, Illinois and back to Michigan. We never made it. The other two guys I was riding with had all sorts of problems. We cut it short and headed home. My Harley Sportster ran fine the whole distance. I don't care what anyone says about H-D, I like my Sportster.
    jml141 likes this.
  7. Shmily

Shmily Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Impressive to do it on a Sportster!
  8. flyrodder

flyrodder nothing bugs me except insufficient applause Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Subscribed. Sounds like a great trip. Try to dip into the NE corner of Nebraska instead of blasting across SD.
  9. AdrenalineGirl

AdrenalineGirl Adventure Junky

Oddometer:
    Bob - I'm sorry your trip got cut short. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for good fortune and smooth riding, however, a motorcycle trip isn't a motorcycle trip without a couple of unexpected twists and turns (no pun intended). And to do it on a Sportster - kuddos to you!

The "third boy" in the the picture is my husband. He'll be joining us during parts of the trip. Since there are times he is like another kid, you aren't too far off the mark!
    singletrackjack likes this.
  10. Me4speed

Me4speed Dirt/pavement=Relief

Oddometer:
    way cool, been riding since I was 7 and we would take trips down the west coast every summer in our cage, I would look out the window of the car and imagine riding my bike all the way down to L.A. from Washington state, I can not tell you how awesome the trip your taking would have been for me, have fun ,stay safe, I will be waiting for your reports, plan on doing trips like this with my son when he turns 16, can't wait.
  11. AirDrive

AirDrive Terminal No0b

Oddometer:
    I was in for this one as soon as I saw "Mom.......Sons.....Motorcycle trip."
    NorthPole likes this.
  12. WaywardSon

WaywardSon Long timer

Oddometer:
    IN......

You've got a good route...which will of course change:rofl

Keep it coming.
  13. OnTheWay

OnTheWay Rock Liu

Oddometer:
  14. JettPilot

JettPilot ADV Rider

Oddometer:
    You should just let your kids hang out all summer, play video games, text their friends, do drugs in the street, and let them be bored and get into all sorts of trouble :huh

I am just messing with you. I have to admire your parenting skills, in on act, you are going to teach them a huge amount about actually doing something, keep them away from bad things, and they will have a good time while they are doing it :D

There is always a risk to a motorcycle trip, but there is even more risk to leaving them bored running in the streets. This country would be a much better place if all parents did things like this... Now your job will be to keep the kids from riding to crazy and taking foolish chances - Yeah I remember being a bulletproof teenager :rofl I look forward to following your trip !!!

Mike
    philstrailgnome likes this.
  15. refokus

refokus Hmmmmmm Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm in for the adventure. Such a cool Mom you must be. :clap
  16. ct-ktm

ct-ktm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow.. Did you have kids when you were like twelve. Hahaha you both look young.. What a great summer your kids will have.:ricky
  17. CTONA

CTONA n00b

Oddometer:
    Sounds great! One of my fondest road trip memories was being 17 and my mom and I going out to Mexico and back via Zion national park, Hollywood , and the Rocky Mountains. Although we were in a Pontiac sunfire, there were still many adventures... Wishing safe travels to all ya'll.
  18. Max Wedge

Max Wedge ADVenture mowing

Oddometer:
    Coolest. Mom. Evah. IN. :clap
  19. scoutDad

scoutDad IBA#203

Oddometer:
    In!
  20. i4bikes

i4bikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in. +1 on coolest Mom