1 Mom, 2 Teenage Sons & 9K Miles Western US Motorcycle Trip

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by AdrenalineGirl, Apr 23, 2015.

1. BeemerBOI

BeemerBOI Dirt n00b

Oddometer:
    That photo really needs to get nominated for the front page.

Looks like a fun trip!
  2. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    Done!
  3. elkgrichard

elkgrichard Been here awhile

Oddometer:

wow.....time warp.......same for me. zI remember those signs for miles. I was still in the Navy after a tour with the Marine Corp on my way out to San Diego to go aboard another ship. Was driving my 1974 Toyota Celica.
  4. elkgrichard

elkgrichard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So why is your husband not with you on this trip? Great to do stuff alone with the kids, they need that mom time.
  5. MotoVentures

MotoVentures Stromaholic

Oddometer:
    Fantastic image - great job! :clap
  6. SeeRace

SeeRace Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great ride report! My then 19 year old son and I came through this area on our trip back from Alaska on our GS's 2 years ago. Wish I had the patience to do a ride report but I do have his journal that I get out and read to remember all the details about that trip. It's hard to go home when you are out on the road like this for a few weeks. Be safe and don't do any riding at dusk / dark. A lot of big game hanging out on the roads in SD.
  7. OnTheWay

OnTheWay Rock Liu

Oddometer:
    So impressive...

Who is the rider in the photo? son or husband?
  8. Reidy008

Reidy008 I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer:
    Is the ride done?
  9. Flyfisher590

Flyfisher590 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's hoping you have a nice holiday with the family!
  10. AdrenalineGirl

AdrenalineGirl Adventure Junky

Oddometer:
    My husband came for the first week of the trip and the last week of the trip. He also flew to Seattle for the week that we were were there and we rode two-up together in the PNW. He coukdn't come the whole time though. I can work from anywhere as long as I have internet access, but unfortunately his job isn't so flexible.
  11. Flyfisher590

Flyfisher590 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You should be getting close to home now. After South Dakota, there isn't that much exciting stuff along the way! After that long ride, do you plan to ride again any time soon?

Thanks for the trip. Vicariously is the best way to live if you can't make the trip yourself! :)
  12. AdrenalineGirl

Oddometer:
    That was my husband driving the GS in that photo. My son decided the ride through Custer State Park was better enjoyed in the comfort of the wing, so they switched.
  13. AdrenalineGirl

Oddometer:
    We are home now. It sure feels good to sleep in my own bed, but after a couple of mornings off the bike, I must say I'm missing the feeling of throwing my leg over the bike in the morning and not knowing exactly what the day will bring. My family and friends have asked me if I'm sick of riding and the honest answer is a resounding no. They were probably hoping two months on the road would cure me, but alas, I fear it has done the opposite. Once my husband joined us and we were a complete family again, I could have just kept on rolling down the road.

I appreciate you all following along. Your advice and input has been invaluable to me and is greatly appreciated. I have many pictures left to process and post, so I'll add them soon.

"My lands are where my dead lie buried." ~ Crazy Horse
    [​IMG]

There are three tunnels along the Iron Mountain Highway and each one frames Mount Rushmore perfectly. (You can see it in the distance in the picture).
    [​IMG]

If you've never seen Mount Rushmore in person, then I'm sure you've seen pictures of it many times. Most pictures are taken from the front. However, my favorite view of the mountain is when you drive around the backside. There's a sweeping corner with a view of the Black Hills on the left and as you tear your gaze away from the rolling hills, you're faced with this:
    [​IMG]

I have mixed feelings about not having to load and unload these every day!
    [​IMG]
    dave6253 likes this.
  14. MotoVentures

MotoVentures Stromaholic

Oddometer:
    Glad you are all home safe, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of the images!
  15. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    After a good trip, when I return home I think about how much junk I have at home.
    Thanks for a great ride report and taking time to post the pictures.
  16. SteveTheLocal

SteveTheLocal Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Would you post again? Helpful or a hassle? More or less? More riding and scenery or more introspective and people-I-have-met oriented? Travelogue or...?
    I enjoy reading them but it seems that the demands made kind of defeat the purpose that I ride in the first place?
  17. Dangeross

Dangeross Space cowboy! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great ride!
    Thanks for taking me along!
  18. Tubaman

Tubaman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah good stuff, glad you're all home safe. Thanks for the report!!
  19. rodr

rodr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ditto. I know it must have been a pain to keep up with it, and I really appreciate it as I'm sure the others here do.
  20. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for letting me ride along. It looked like a great trip. I appreciate all the effort that went into making this ride report and particularly liked the photos.

KR