1 Mom, 2 Teenage Sons & 9K Miles Western US Motorcycle Trip

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by AdrenalineGirl, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Meatn'taters

Meatn'taters Not any more Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's just great - now what am I gonna do?! Thanks for taking us all along - enjoyed your updates very much. I know what you mean about ready to keep going. Felt the same way after my two monther last summer, and I think about another trip about every other day now - okay, every day. Welcome home. :freaky
  2. Flyfisher590

Flyfisher590 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well done!

Now do it again! :)
  3. MikeyT

MikeyT Krusty Olde Pharte

Oddometer:
    Great RR! Glad you made it home well. Ready for the next ride report.
  4. Packer

Packer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Scotland, wonderful biking when it's dry (rarely)
    I enjoyed your report, what a trip!

You did make me shudder when you said that the cylinder head of the RT touched down, that is very close to catastrophic and I'm really glad you got away with it. You probably know this but next time put what little weight you have further off the side of the bike so it can stay more upright for a given corner speed.

Three years after I did a month long trip from San Francisco to Deadhorse and back I still miss the simple routine of get up, ride, fuel and eat, ride, fuel and eat, sleep and repeat. At the end of the trip some of the group were tired and ready for home, I just wanted to do it all again. You've got the bug too.:D

I'll be looking out for the next installment of "Nomad Mum" the Adrenalinegirl
  5. keithg

keithg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thoroughly enjoyed your trip!!!!!!!!
    My wife, son and I rode to Sturgis last year and had a great family trip!
  6. AdrenalineGirl

AdrenalineGirl Adventure Junky

Oddometer:
    I've contemplated your question, and I decided that I would do it again. You see, I'm like the carpenter that hasn't finished the trim in his own house. The nature of my marketing business requires me to do a lot of copywriting and photography for my clients. That means I usually have very little mental energy left to write for my own selfish purposes. Having an audience such as the one on advrider provided the kick in the pants I needed to keep a record of this special time with my sons. I know myself enough to know that I wouldn't have taken the time to do it otherwise.

In hindsight, it seems the hours and days and months on the bike gave me plenty of time to be introspective. There are scenic views I never did get to photograph, crazy moments I didn't write about, and people I will never forget. The unwritten and unphotographed moments are the ones that are pulling me back on the road. The written events and photos that I can browse will always be there to remind me how lucky and blessed I truly am.
    IceCreamSoldier likes this.
  7. AdrenalineGirl

AdrenalineGirl Adventure Junky

Oddometer:
    And here I was going to complain to BMW and tell them not to stick those cylinder heads out so far! I'm just kidding. I know what you mean. Fortunately that was a one-time event and I think part of it was the condition of the road - a tight switch back with a steep uphill angle on the inside contributed to it. But I surely will be following your advice from here on out.

PS - I kind of like Nomad Mum. That's a good one!!!!!
  8. pyrate

pyrate Walking the plank

Oddometer:
    Sometimes the mental images, memories and even the scents of the open road are the most fond ones of all. It keeps the desire to keep rolling alive. However, I find that after about 4 days at home I start thinking of the next adventure.

Thanks for all the posts. To keep up while on the road with it vs waiting until you are home has to be a challenge but we appreciate the effort.

It would be interesting to hear the son's thoughts sometime if they care to chime in. I bet it was an epic trip for them and no doubt just sparked an incurable fire to do more in them.

Cheers to all of you! :freaky
  9. Jeddo

Jeddo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great RR. Your trip is also my dream trip which I plan to take next year (other trips planned this year). I love how you and the boys planned the trip and then modified your route based on the suggestions of the many inmates who know the areas and roads better than I could ever plan on my own. Can't wait to see any other pics from your East bound leg. Thanks for sharing and enjoy the rest of the summer, UP rides are awesome too.
  10. whatsgnu

whatsgnu Scheissekopf

Oddometer:
    Great trip, great pictures. Thank you for sharing. :clap
  11. MotoVentures

MotoVentures Stromaholic

Oddometer:
    Wonderfully written!!! :clap
  12. Vin

Vin Hopeless Addict

Oddometer:

That's exacty how it looked 20 years ago. I think I'll buy the guy a new chisel.
  13. bluestar

bluestar sheep shagger

Oddometer:
    Maybe a bigger hammer too? :D
  14. OnTheWay

OnTheWay Rock Liu

Oddometer:
    Which one is the best after riding?:D
  15. Flyfisher590

Flyfisher590 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are you the one on the top? Or the bottom? ;)
  16. Crashes

Crashes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    AWESOME RIDE REPORT!!!!!!
    You are the mom of the year for this act of bonding with life times of memories. Thank you so much for taking the time out to write and add all the pictures.:clap
  17. U4IC

U4IC n00b

Oddometer:
    I too enjoyed the report and all the fabulous photos. Of course it made it difficult to concentrate at work some days, thinking of what I'd rather be doing.

So how do you like your new camera? My wife has the "I wants", and would appreciate your comments. Thanks!
  18. DiasDePlaya

DiasDePlaya Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Felicitaciones y Gracias!

Just to say thanks you!!!
  19. IdahoGaucho

IdahoGaucho Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing
  20. kg4lwp

kg4lwp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Epic ride and report! Man what an awesome gift to give your kids that can never be forgot.