1 or 2 icos

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Jim2008, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Jim2008

Jim2008 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi, I’m setting up a new bike for rally’s.
    I previously used trail tech vectors on my old 520 several years back and wanted to set this one up better.
    If you use 2 icos are you resetting the distance on 1 at every call in the notes ? And the other just continues counting the accumulated distance.

Cheers
  2. RenoMoto

RenoMoto Rally Navigator Supporter

Oddometer:
    2 ICO’s

One for Cumulative Distance
    Other for CAP heading.

It’s not typical to reset distance at each waypoint.
    GalacticGS likes this.
  3. GezwindeSpoed

GezwindeSpoed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I only see the use in case your primary ICO fails. It is most often the cable that fails so you have to use two cables. I have used my standard KTM trip meter as a back-up. Do not know if you bike has one with a remote control?
    Mike_MRS likes this.
  4. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    As RenoMoto says the 2 x ICO's (on DAKAR or FIM rally bikes) are for 1.) measuring the distance 2.) CAP heading bearings (in off piste/dune style navigation situations).

As you are located in Australia Jim... the type of rallies that you are going to encounter (the CONDO 750 and Sunraysia Safari) do not have off piste/GPS style navigation (purely roadbook with TOT/INT kilometer readings on each note)...

... so the neep for a CAP heading/reading instrument (second ICO) is not required.

You do not need to "zero" your trip meter at each note... you can merely "bump" the reading (up or down - as needed - one or two decimal points) using the toggle thumb switch (on throttle or clutch side - as you prefer) and by doing so keep your total (cumulative) distance accurate to the roadbook readings.

If you get lost/wrong turn* - upon finding your correct place in the roadbook notes - you simply "bump" the ICO reading to the correct distance, and continue on your way.

*There is a trip 2 function in the ICO menu - and you can use this to keep tally of refuel distance/total distance travelled... or run the org. KTM trip/speedometer for that purpose.

As Gewindespeed says, most failures (whether cable or unit related) you are going to be best placed to make repairs at a service break or overnight stop/bivouac... not out on the track... If you "wad up" the nav tower - you are effectively gonna scrap BOTH units anyway - so mounting a "second back-up" on the bike, is largely a false economy.

I'd suggest keep the second unit in you service box, and run the stock KTM unit as your fuel/speedo and bckup... they are simple, tidy, small and mount up out of the way nicely.
  5. Mike_MRS

Mike_MRS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just because you see two trip meters on bikes doesn't mean you need two. I would suggest you use only one to begin with. You don't reset after each instruction, but you will need to adjust on the fly the distance due to roadbook creation anomolies. For example if the roadbook has been written by a person in a vehicle, cars take different lines to bikes to distances end up out of sync.

So, you could get to say, kilometre 9 after a load of corners and find that your trip says 9.0, and the roadbook says turn left, but the left is actually another 100 or 200 (0r more) metres further along, or further back. So you adjust your trip to compensate by clicking it forward (or back) by those metres. No need to be too anal about this unless the nav is very tight with many options of tracks, most will be quite visible.

A better backup for you (I would suggest) would be a spare cable for your trip, they are generally ok but if you go down they can be problematic.

Also if you're allowed a GPS you can use that for total distance, but to be honest I don't want the distraction, I only really care about the instructions.
  6. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Also, many rallies use a proprietary device such as the Rally Comp or Stella 3.
  7. Mike_MRS

Oddometer:
    Definitely not in europe or north africa races. Possible in Oz but tbh I doubt it..
  8. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think that at Sunraysia last year they used the rally safe unit.

Any rally here in OZ never uses cap heading yet. I'd prefer 2 as thats a look I'm after (:fpalm hehe.......) but they'd serve no function that would be required for any rally I'd do, hence I haven't and hopefully won't jump and buy one. :jack
  9. HogWild

HogWild Scott Whitney

Oddometer:
    The proprietary ERTF equipment is used in MANY rallies in Europe and Africa, plus Dakar of course.
  10. Mike_MRS

Oddometer:
    I'm well aware of that. My point was that rally comp and stella3 are not used in European races nor north african.
  11. HogWild

HogWild Scott Whitney

Oddometer:
    Yellow Pigs point was that these devices provide compass headings.
  12. Mike_MRS

Oddometer:
    Again, I'm aware. You will find that in Australia, Europe and North Africa the devices YP mentions are not used. At all. And if you want to be really pedantic, and it seems you do, ERTF is only use in world championship events, plus Moroccan Desert challenge and africa eco race. It's not actually used in European races at all. Possibly the new Sahari rally in Algeria too but I can't recall.
  13. HogWild

HogWild Scott Whitney

Oddometer:
    I'm sure there are a number of people here who might have the same question about 1 ICO or 2. That's what's cool about this forum, sharing info and ideas with everyone. Not all these people live in Australia. And many of them may do a real rally where one of the above mentioned devices are used. So, it's all helpful information.

For me personally, I want 2 ICOs, at least one being the Rallye Max G with the GPS attached, so I can have both odo and compass headings at the same time. That's super handy when riding practice/fun roadbook rides. When it comes to a real race where one of those other devices may be mandatory, I might take the second ICO off, or move it below the roadbook and use it as a backup for odo or compass headings.
    ktmJOE likes this.
  14. theantipaul

theantipaul Reforming Neandertal Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank God the OP's original question was answered!
  15. schattat

schattat Long timer

Oddometer:
    A side note for you guys and OP: I've made a new model, TripMaster GFX, that does the job of 2 (or 3) devices in one. Trip by wheel sensor & GPS + CAP + Repeater functions.
    I had some successful talks at Dakar regarding FIM homologation for international races, will have more infos regarding ERTF connectivity next month. Finger crossed!

TripMaster GFX 01.jpg TripMaster GFX 03.jpg

PM me for more info if desired. The RNS website will be back online this week.
    Yellow Pig, garfey and Mike_MRS like this.
  16. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Condo 2019 ( Australia) will require a rallysafe unit in all categories according the the Facebook site.
  17. Jim2008

Jim2008 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply’s
    Last time I did the condo750 I used 2 and reset 1 at each int distance more like you would do in a car.
    Will just try 1 this time and see how it go’s.

Cheers