1 piece or 2 for my upcoming trip

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by ktmsnake, May 25, 2020.

1. ktmsnake

ktmsnake Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The wife and I are planning a cross country trip in the near future. I have ran into a problem, a dumb one at that. I cannot decide if I should wear my 1 piece Roadcrafter or my old 2-piece Darien. I am leaning more towards the 2-piece for versatility, even though I hate the Darien jacket when compared to my other gear.

What is everyone's experience regarding touring in a 1 piece vs 2? Is a 1 piece a hassle when it comes to stops?
  2. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    For camping I opt for the Darien pair over the RC 1-pc. The RC does fit better in ways, but the Darien offers more freedom of motion and more versatility. I can also throw on the jacket for a midnight run to a tree if it's raining. (I'm not a fan of pee bottles and I LIKE getting out to see what the world is doing even if it's bugs and rain.)

IDK if my preference would change for a hotel/motel trip, it might. I also DK what kind of accommodations you plan.

I got the 1-pc for running around town but in practice, the Darien pair is about as easy to get on and off as the RC or maybe just a little slower.
  3. Macho Man2

Macho Man2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had the Darien set up and had no problems with it but went to a 1 piece Roadcrafter in 2010 and after using it I sold my Darien and have been one piece ever since. I have the Classic for mid range temps to cold weather and I purchased a R-3 in 2016 for warmer weather riding..with both, you were whatever you want to be in for other activities off the bike and suit up and go!
  4. CharlesLathe

CharlesLathe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have toured all over the US in a 1 piece Roadcrafter and think it works great. My 2 piece is a set of Vanson leathers. I don't take the jacket off much and I don't take extra pants so I wear the leather pants till I come home. They can be hot.

For me, the Roadcrafter is the ultimate in practicality. The leathers are more comfortable and quieter on the bike. I don't think I would care for the Darien set up.
  5. MZ5

MZ5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I prefer a 1-piece. With good gear, a 2-piece can be nearly as fast and easy, but I still at least somewhat prefer a 1-piece.

I can see the one respondent’s point about putting on a jacket to go find a tree outside camp in the middle of the night. If I was traveling that way, that would probably tip the scales toward a good 2-piece set for me, but that’s it.
  6. LeeMan

LeeMan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My R3 (with 3 upper and 2 lower zipped vents) for 12 commuting years was great. My two piece KLIM (with 12 jacket and 6 pant zipped vents) for longer trips works so much better for me. Stop for gas, remove jacket, go inside for water/pee, put jacket back on & take off. I've done this in my R3 but it's just a tad bit of a hassle removing it 60 times in two weeks and that gets old fast so I usually just leave the R3 on at stops which can get hot. Both work well on the road but I like tripping the most comfortable way and the two piece does that for me.
  7. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    I like two pieces.

The only time I wear onesies is at the track.....on the road I want to be able to get out of the jacket without stripping.
  8. jeffeasy

jeffeasy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's a motorcycle trip so you'll likely be on your motorcycle in your suit for the majority of the time. You said you hate the Darien, so why torture yourself? Be comfy and happy in your RC!
  9. CJSRider

CJSRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    To me, the one piece (Roadcrafter) is so much easier to get into than my pants (KLIM) and Jacket. The Jacket is easy to get into, and it nice to be able to take it off when stopping. The pants are a pain to put on and off. Now if the pants were Aerostich and they went on easy like their one piece, I would like that.

To me, its not what is easier to put on and off, its what fits you the best and is the most comfortable. Spending many days wearing the gear for long hours, you want what is comfortable.
  10. Ray916MN

Ray916MN Dim Mak

Oddometer:
    I prefer the 1 piece Roadcrafter for trips. Better protection and simpler and faster to be "normally" dressed off the bike (shorts with riding boots are not normal to most of the world). I generally only use a Darien in colder weather when I need more layers.