1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

1 year, 2 KLRs, and a whole lot of open road...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by job3-14, Oct 14, 2009.

1. GISdood

GISdood Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Been there, seen that, but the memories are still rather fuzzy :freaky
    [​IMG]

Found any seat sales yet? Cervezas await!!
  2. Yamezz

Yamezz Suffers from MBS

Oddometer:
    Shediac may be getting ahead of themselves with the world's largest lobster. The one in Kingston, South Australia, built in 1979 is 17 metres tall.
    [​IMG]
  3. job3-14

job3-14 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    September 18th-19th, 2010

No need for an alarm clock this morning; the family pets were already preprogrammed to chirp at the break of dawn.
    [​IMG]

Another glorious meal from chef PavementPounder: pancakes & sausage with eggs benedict on toast. We’re going to have trouble fitting into our riding gear.
    [​IMG]

PavementPounder is in the process of building his house from scratch. I can’t imagine how rewarding it will feel when the project is complete. PavementPounder is tinkering with a broken fog light on his GS while Amanda’s bike is due for an oil change.
    [​IMG]

We left PavementPounder’s house at around noon and thanked him and his family for their hospitality. We stopped at a military surplus store in Fredericton and picked up a Middle East head scarf called a shemagh. I’m not one to follow any political trends or views, but I hear that when one dons a shemagh, they’re making a political statement in support of Palestine. I like the shemagh solely for its practicality and various uses; I wish I had one of these at the beginning of the trip.
    [​IMG]

We decided to make our way back into the U.S. to spend a night with MZcountryboy we met earlier at the Skibum Soiree and then head over back to Canuman. We started our trip together with him and it is only fitting to end the trip with him to complete the circle.

A quick break near the U.S. border in a town called McAdam, NB
    [​IMG]

We decided to camp one more night in Canada before hopping the border once again. We managed to find a decent spot by a pond behind the historic McAdam Railway Station.
    [​IMG]

The next morning we rode to the border crossing in Vanceboro and had no problems there
    [​IMG]

We didn’t make it as far east in Maine at the beginning of the trip, so we’re glad we get to ride through this time around.
    [​IMG]

We spent all day riding as far west as we could and eventually stopped at the side of the road near Rumford, Maine. We found a driveway that led to a public boat launch and decided to camp here.
    [​IMG]

656 km
    [​IMG]

Handy piece of cloth.

No interest in politics.

Back in the U.S.
  4. job3-14

job3-14 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    September 20th, 2010 pt.1

I love camping. It’s one of my favorite activities of all time. I’m so lucky that Amanda loves camping too. Of course, there are a few drawbacks that make camping somewhat inconvenient. For example, peeing when you’re not quite ready to get up while tucked away in your comfy sleeping bag and it’s cold outside; not a pleasant situation to be in believe me. We always make it a habit to do our business right before bedtime and rarely do we run into this predicament, but sometimes for whatever reason, nature has a way of calling at the most inconvenient of times despite doing all the right things. Procrastination has a whole new meaning whenever faced with this natural bodily function in this particular scenario. We always find ourselves holding it in to the point where we begin to dream about going to the restroom and when we realize we’re only dreaming, we have only a few seconds before wetting ourselves. This morning, Amanda found herself in this predicament and she managed to relieve her bladder just in time. If this hadn’t happened, she would’ve missed taking these wonderful morning shots.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Go ahead, it might turn into a prince!
    [​IMG]

Another successful night of stealth camping
    [​IMG]

We had Burger King for lunch in Gorham
    [​IMG]

We rode south on route 16 in search of Mount Washington…
    [​IMG]

…and decided to pass on paying the admission fee to ride to the top
    [​IMG]

We did, however, manage to ride to Whitehorse Gear!
    [​IMG]

Hope we don’t get too carried away.
    [​IMG]

117 km
    [​IMG]

Oh, when nature calls.

Like kids in a candy store.

Stillness of morning.
  5. job3-14

job3-14 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    September 20th, 2010 pt.2

So we didn’t splurge while we were at Whitehorse Gear. I was very close to pulling the trigger on a throat mic made by Fox Industries, but decided to back out. I figure that we spent the past year without any communication headsets, why start now? There were a ton of goodies that would be nice to have, but all the essentials we already own. Oh well, we didn’t get anything new and exciting for our bikes, but at least we get to ride through the White Mountains.
    [​IMG]

From North Conway, we took route 302 en route to MZcountryboy’s place near Marshfield…
    [​IMG]

…and enjoyed the occasional twists and turns.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We’re riding through green hills and mountains then all of a sudden the road flattens and wham, the luxurious Mount Washington Hotel comes into view with Mount Washington itself towering in the backdrop.
    [​IMG]

Even though the GPS can no longer pick up a signal, I can still use it to plot out routes and get directions. It no longer gives me real-time directions. For some reason the GPS directed us to take this road…
    [​IMG]

…that eventually disappeared into a forest. I remember MZcountryboy sent us an email telling us not to use the GPS because it will lead us astray, but I had forgotten about it at the time.
    [​IMG]

We plotted another route that avoided side roads and made it to MZcountryboy’s place safe and sound
    [​IMG]

It was tricky finding his place in the dark because he lived in a wooded area. Surely we would’ve passed it if it wasn’t for MZcountryboy standing out in front of his driveway to flag us in with his flashlight.
    [​IMG]

Here’s his GS sidecar rig I had mentioned earlier about…
    [​IMG]

…and his project bike, which I think is near completion if not already.
    [​IMG]

We met MZcountryboy’s wife who is an artist and works from her studio here at the house
    [​IMG]

Amen sister!
    [​IMG]

We had these awesome quesadillas they had made for supper and talked about MZcountryboy’s experience when he and his friend took the ferry to St. Pierre et Miquelon when they were out east in Newfoundland. St. Pierre et Miquelon is a group of small islands near Newfoundland which is owned and governed by France. Here’s the link to his ride report: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=610153
    [​IMG]

We all got a little silly after a few drinks
    [​IMG]

143 km
    [​IMG]

Refrained from splurging. ​

Never trust technology. ​

Little taste of France.​
  6. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    Still loving your Ride Report! I hope that someday I'm able to experience a tour like you two have. When I look at the little maps and the total mileage for the days it makes me realize that I need to slow down and see a whole lot more stuff.

The report is still EPIC in my books!
  7. Yamezz

Yamezz Suffers from MBS

Oddometer:
    Will, what sort of mileage were you getting out of the Kendas?
  8. job3-14

job3-14 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the kind words!

I've gotten 25,000 km on them, but that's only because I ride them down till the wire shows

September 21st-23rd, 2010 pt.1

This morning we made a short trip to the small town of Cabot to visit The Cabot Creamery where they make their world famous cheese.
    [​IMG]

The visitor center offers free tours and a plethora of cheese samples to try out. We “sampled” enough to bypass lunch.
    [​IMG]

The Cabot Creamery has been in business since 1919 as a cooperative by local farmers
    [​IMG]

Our return to the Palace; The Palace of the People. Home to our first ADV host Canuman.
    [​IMG]

Time to retire my old motorcycle boots; bought new ones online at Motorcycle Superstore for cheap. I’ll be happy if they last a year.
    [​IMG]

We had lots of catching up to do at the dinner table while we feasted on a nice warm plate of pasta and fresh garlic bread
    [​IMG]

The next day turned out to be nice so we took to the streets and went out for a ride. A quick stop at Ocean State Job Lots was in order to pick up some supplies for tonight’s meal. We then rode out to meet barbsironbutt at the post office where she worked. She’s been following our ride reports on ADV as well. Being a fellow redhead, Canuman thought her and Amanda would hit it off instantly. He was right. We had subs from the local deli for lunch.

Amanda prefer the greens
    [​IMG]

I prefer the tomato sauce
    [​IMG]

We all ate in the backroom of the post office, another first for Amanda and myself.
    [​IMG]

Barbsironbutt joined us for dinner back at the Palace where she became slipper buddies with Amanda
    [​IMG]

I was preparing the appetizers
    [​IMG]

Canuman was in the kitchen whipping up a Hawaiian pizza from scratch
    [​IMG]

Now that’s what I call a Hawaiian pizza!
    [​IMG]

Dinner is served! Look who snuck into the food shot as well; good ol’ Franzia.
    [​IMG]

61 km
    [​IMG]

Back at the Palace.

Union of kindred spirits.

Time to celebrate.
  9. MZcountryboy

MZcountryboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    What a trip, you two have made us all so envious. Next time you're in the area, I'll host you up again! What a great time. I'll see if I can't dig up some photos us ya's.

"what do you mean he said don't follow the gps?!?!?!"

[​IMG]

Sometimes you just feel like the king of your own castle..........

:lol3

[​IMG]
  10. job3-14

job3-14 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    September 21st-23rd, 2010 pt.2

The three of us were back at it again this morning for another glorious day of riding. Our mission: Infiltrate the abandoned radar base near East Haven and gather as much intel as we can. The last time I was here in Vermont almost a year ago, Canuman gave me the directions to the base and I attempted a solo mission. At the time, Canuman didn’t have the appropriate steed to tackle the terrain that led up to the top of East Mountain. I accepted the mission and the result ended in failure. My mind started playing tricks on me while riding along radar road. I had an eerie feeling about the whole ordeal and decided to turn back. Armed with an additional 2 riders on KLRs this time around, we will infiltrate the base! Failure is not an option!
    [​IMG]

Our first obstacle we had to contend with. I feel much better now because if I had ridden up to this point last year, I would’ve turned back anyway.
    [​IMG]

The only way to get past the gates is to ride around it in the bushes. Just as we were deciding on who should go first, Amanda had already fired up her engines to make the attempt.
    [​IMG]

She ended up losing her balance and tipping over. Lucky for her she avoided falling on a small tree stump that could’ve punctured the oil case or worse, broken an ankle. I must say, I do admire her courage though.
    [​IMG]

Canuman followed suit without any problems…
    [​IMG]

…while I rounded up the rearguard.
    [​IMG]

After bypassing another gate and negotiating a few twists and turns on rough terrain, we made it to the top of East Mountain where the abandoned radar base was located. Hmmm, maybe this sign is the reason we should stay out. Bah, your phony scare tactics won’t fool us! Forward and onwards!
    [​IMG]

We rode up to the barracks and decided to travel by foot. We all got the sense of what it would be like in a post apocalyptic world. Buildings were all rundown and tattered. Trees and grass were all overgrown. Animal droppings littered the entire complex.
    [​IMG]

What’s left of inside the dining hall
    [​IMG]

Wouldn’t want to be walking around in here with no shoes on; broken glass everywhere.
    [​IMG]

Not much was left behind
    [​IMG]

Wood stove? Chopped wood? Somebody is living here. Better stay frosty.
    [​IMG]

The gymnasium or what’s left of it. Sorry about the profanity; it is what it is. I wonder how many times the local kids in the area have dared one another to come up here late at night.
    [​IMG]

Nature was here first.

A radar base came second.

Nature reclaims land.
  11. MZcountryboy

MZcountryboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm so psyched you made it up there, it is a cool piece of history.

I usually go up there a little more "under the radar" though......

:drums:rofl

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tell me you climbed one oof the Radome bases, the views are so worth it.

[​IMG]
  12. job3-14

job3-14 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We tried looking for a way up, but couldn't find one. Forgot to bring my trusty grappling gun.

September 21st-23rd, 2010 pt.3

After exploring the barracks, we then proceeded to check out the radar towers
    [​IMG]

Most of them were locked or boarded up
    [​IMG]

We managed to get inside of this one. I see someone’s a fan of the film The Shinning. Heeeeres’s Johnny!
    [​IMG]

Someone had set up a weather station, but vandals got the better of it.
    [​IMG]

I’m glad we decided to pack a picnic lunch because the view from up here was utterly brilliant
    [​IMG]

Getting past the gates was much easier for everyone the second time around. There’s that small tree stump Amanda almost landed on when she lost her balance on her first go around.
    [​IMG]

I’ve humbly accepted that the KLR cannot do the things a true dirt bike can.
    [​IMG]

…but with time and experience, the KLR can do almost anything.
    [​IMG]

We rode back to the house to celebrate our last night here at the Palace and had pitas…
    [​IMG]

…with rice & ham for supper.
    [​IMG]

We returned the REI dry bag Canuman had given us at the start of the trip. It has been with him for many years when he was working as a river guide and has much sentimental value.
    [​IMG]

Canuman didn’t have to do this, but he gave us another one to replace it. It’s signed “Not a good substitute, thanks anyway!” You’re very welcome Canuman! Thank you!
    [​IMG]

A few drinks were passed around and…well…you get the idea.
    [​IMG]

ADV inmates, I salute you!
    [​IMG]

Mission accomplished!

Jack of all trades, great at none.

Pace yourself woman!
  13. trevhead

trevhead Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

can not stop laughing......with you of course. great adventure by the way. cheers:freaky
  14. azshtr

azshtr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your in trouble now. :lol3
  15. westerlywinds

westerlywinds Two Wheels-Ride it

Oddometer:
    So That radar site is interesting.I've read all the report up till now. One part that still impresses me is at the beginnig when Amanda rode to catch up ,11 hours inthe cold and part had to be dark. I gather from the report she also had not top grade clothes. I have done a lot of cold weather running and admire her for that .
  16. Oldone

Oldone One day at a time!

Oddometer:
  17. job3-14

job3-14 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really do admire her for having done that too!

There are times when it feels like work and times when it brings me back to where we were. One rainy day Amanda and I will read this thing from beginning to end and reminisce about the good old days. Thanks for tuning in!

September 24th, 2010

Plans of having an early start this morning went right out the window since last night’s debauchery. Poor Amanda had a difficult time getting up. Our brains were like mush. Our zombie-like beings eventually managed to pack all our things back on the bike and get the show on the road. Canuman rode out with us near Swanton where we had lunch at McDonald’s before bidding each other farewell.

Back where we were reunited almost a year ago at Rouses Point. Not much has changed since the last time we were here. I don’t expect much has changed back home either, but I know for sure we have.
    [​IMG]

The last border crossing of our journey
    [​IMG]

Checking out the busy scene in Montreal. We were supposed to meet up with Sarah, the intern we met in Grand Falls-Windsor, but her flight was delayed due to a storm.
    [​IMG]

A brief visit to Tristar Gym, training grounds for current UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre
    [​IMG]

It was nightfall by the time we were riding out of the city limits and we managed to stop at St. Hubert for supper just before it started to pour rain.
    [​IMG]

St. Hubert is a franchised restaurant chain originated in Montreal specializing in rotisserie chicken. There used to be one not far from where I live in Toronto and I remember mom and dad taking the family out for dinner there when we were kids. Today, there are maybe a few locations left in Ontario where the majority of the restaurants are in Quebec. It’s a lot fancier now than I remember it. They have flat screen TV’s in the restrooms and cool holographic fishes swimming in the sinks.
    <EMBED height=300 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=400 src=http://www.facebook.com/v/10150301279593477 allowfullscreen="true"></EMBED>

[​IMG]

Their famous chicken sauce. I remember drinking the leftovers when I was a kid.
    [​IMG]

Bon appetite!
    [​IMG]

When the rain let up, we were back on the road in search of a place to lay our heads; very difficult in the dark, rain, and urban sprawl. We were out hunting for gazebos in the night when Amanda had an idea when we rode past Rona, the hardware store. She doubled back and checked to see if there were any unlocked utility sheds they had out on display; clever girl. All of them were locked except for one and that was enough to get us through this miserable night.
    [​IMG]

It’s taken us a year to have the gall to pull a stint like this. We probably wouldn’t have the nerve to do this at the start, but now that we’re so close to the end, we don’t care. We just want to sleep.
    [​IMG]

Might be a little tight…
    [​IMG]

…but at least we get to stay dry and not have to pack a wet tent in the morning.
    [​IMG]

218 km
    [​IMG]

<EMBED height=300 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=400 src=http://www.facebook.com/v/10150301236768477 allowfullscreen="true"></EMBED>

Back where it began.​

Thinking outside of the box.​

Sleeping inside one.​
  18. westerlywinds

westerlywinds Two Wheels-Ride it

Oddometer:
    I have had several dry no wind nights in those sheds. late to bed early to rise!
  19. barbsironbutt

barbsironbutt Bungee Rancher

Oddometer:
    Necessity is the mother of invention and pitching and packing a wet tent is just a mother. I may have to use this idea some day. Did you make it out before the Rona folks came in the next morning? I think I'd be glad I don't speak French!:rofl
  20. job3-14

job3-14 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    September 25th-26th, 2010

There was no choice in the matter of sleeping in this morning; Rona opens at 08:00, we should be out of there by 07:00. I would be very disappointed with ourselves if we got a citation this close to the end. We’re making our final run back to Toronto. No scenic routes, no places to see, no things to do. Just a straight shot on highway 401 all the way back. We’re ready to come home now.

Ok, the coast is clear! Let’s move!
    [​IMG]

Crossed the provincial line into Ontario
    [​IMG]

We’re not ready for home yet! We decided to spend the night with my sister and newly brother in-law in Whitby.
    [​IMG]

It was here where we were formally introduced to the Weber Charcoal Grill
    [​IMG]

We found out from my sister that the family will be getting together tomorrow for my cousin’s daughter’s baptism; we came back just in time!
    [​IMG]

The next morning we met up with my mom & dad for dim sum…
    [​IMG]

…attended the baptism…
    [​IMG]

…and rode home.
    [​IMG]

1 year…
    [​IMG]

2 KLRs…
    [​IMG]

…and a whole lot of open road…61,243 kilometers of it to be exact.
    [​IMG]

<IFRAME height=315 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CRCAIk2fQHM?rel=0" frameBorder=0 width=420 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

Many miles on road.

Many good friends we have made.

There's no place like home. ​