1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

1 year, 2 KLRs, and a whole lot of open road...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by job3-14, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Radioman

Radioman Moto rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    :wave Will and Amanda

Enjoyed the ride with you! Looking forward to whatever your next adventures are! :clap:clap
  2. Ray-zer

Ray-zer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You two need to have a booth at upcoming Motorcycle shows. There'd be a lineup.:clap
  3. Pariahtize

Pariahtize Misrepresented

Oddometer:
    So cool. You two rock. . . thanks for RR'ing this!
  4. eteller

eteller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awsome trip!!!!
  5. usafe7ret

usafe7ret Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sad that the report is over, glad you made it safe and sound, and thanks for sharing your wedding with us!

:clap
  6. job3-14

job3-14 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you all for the kind words. It's been really fun. An epilogue is in the works to give you guys an update of how we've been adjusting back to everyday life. Thanks for tuning in.

A&W
  7. tommu56

tommu56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Will and Amanda

You had me mesmerized for 2 long evenings reading your ride report!

I admire your strength and tenacity & "insanity" you guys had on your ride.
    I just don't know how you will top this great adventure but I know together you will have a happy adventure for the rest of your lives together.

tom
  8. intime2ride

intime2ride Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Will & Amanda,

I met you two by chance in Julian, California. Your smiles were bright and your dreams were contagious. You told me about your trip and ride report and I have been hooked ever since. Thank you so much for sharing the adventure. I am so glad you two followed your dreams and thank you for inspiring mine. My best wishes and prayers are with you both.

Best of luck on the next adventure.
  9. CB160

CB160 another old fart....

Oddometer:
    Will and Amanda,
    Thanks for takin' me along....it was a wonderful ride....
    I only hope your future is as great as your 'little adventure' has been !
    Best of luck!
    And thanks again,
    Gerry
  10. BobRob

BobRob Pick one Supporter

Oddometer:
    Like many others, I'm a bit sad to see this report end, as reading the latest installment has been a Saturday morning ritual for over a year now. Looking forward to the epilogue.
  11. juliaschrenkler

juliaschrenkler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Add me to the grateful pile. Thank you for this trip report. You've reached and inspired more people than you know.

My best to you and know you'll have another resource/stop for your next ride.

p.s. I think I'll start it again from the beginning, just for kicks.
  12. TLR_Mart

TLR_Mart Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Gah! The waiting is killing me!! I need closure!! :evil :norton

(I just had to bump) :D
  13. JasonLester

JasonLester Riding north

Oddometer:
    Ok so unlike some people I got in on this ride report just by chance. My dad and I rode to Alaska on our KLRs and one day when going to Walmart in Fairbanks AK who is in the parking lot but Will and Amanda. So now I get to go back read about thier adventures. We were lucky enough to spend some time with them at my dad's place in Salcha AK. It was so fun talking about thier adventures and sharing a few of our own with them...Truely two good people we were bless enough to bocome friends with.

Will and Amanda....Glad your home safe...we'll plan better next year when we are up you way so we can stop in and see you.

Jason
  14. job3-14

job3-14 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the wait folks, life is constantly getting in the way, but here it goes...

Epilogue

The day after we got back, Amanda was called in for work the next morning. Having no place to stay, she rode an hour and a half north of Toronto to a town called Orillia and camped in the backyard. A co-worker found out about her situation and graciously offered to rent out a room. I had no job to come back to and with no income coming in, I had no choice but to stay at my parent's in Toronto for the time being. I was able to grab quick cash by signing up with a background agency for film & television and worked on various shows like Nikita and Degrassi Junior High. This enabled me to focus on what was most important at the time; finishing the ride report. I know myself well enough that if I don't keep at it, it'll never get done. Working as an extra gave me the flexibility to work on it without fully committing to a new job. We saw each other only on weekends with the odd time in the middle of the week. We did this till June 2011; funny how we were attached to the hip 24/7 for the past year and end up like this. We were able to keep our heads up knowing that this was only temporary; just didn't think it would take this long. We drew the final straw and I was able to stay in Orillia for the month of June. Amanda and I managed to share a single bed in a 3-room house with 5 people already living in it with 4 dogs. It didn't make sense to us to pay rent; knowing that we're paying off someone else's mortgage so we decided to take the plunge and go house shopping. We got pre-approved for a mortgage and bought a tiny little house in town. The closing date was on July 29 so we we slept on the floor at my friend's house for the month of July; no big deal at all, we've slept through worse conditions.

[​IMG]

Eventually I managed to finish the ride report and got a job as a rockwall instructor. Amanda and I were careful not to get sucked into pouring a ton of money into the house; only just the essentials. We graciously accepted hand-me-down furniture from friends and family and have no intention of replacing them until they break. Not much has changed since we came back from the trip. We live life super simple and are focused on spending as much time with each other. We are super blessed to have jobs that don't take up our day, but still have enough money coming in to pay our bills. The adventure we are having now is playing house. I keep telling people that we live in a giant fort and we're the kids playing inside it. All the chores that come with owning a house are fun because we do them together. People keep asking us when we're going to have kids, but both of us agree that we ARE the kids and are having way too much fun together to be thinking about that right now. I always had in the back of my mind how would we ever top what we did over the past year, but somehow things are working itself out and I feel that it's only just begun and that things are getting better! Like everyone else, we are back into being productive members of society, the only difference is I think we have a different outlook than most as a result from our experiences on our trip. I can truly say that we don't sweat the small stuff and less IS actually more. We have no cable, no internet, and no home phone. Anytime we need any of these luxuries, we walk over to the local library. We hike, ride bicycles, fish, hunt, camp, ferment our own wine, bake our own bread, grow our own vegetables, and ride our motorcycles. We spend A LOT of time together and feel out of sync when we don't; I know it sounds all lovey dovey and all, but it's the honest truth. Taking a year long break to actually live life helped us prioritize what really matters. If the opportunity ever came up again, there's no doubt in our minds that we would seize the opportunity and run with it...sorry...I meant ride with it.

Thanks ADV and to all who have tuned in,

A&W

[​IMG]
  15. Timmer

Timmer Curious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Congratulations on the home purchase. Thanks for taking us along on your adventure and thanks for letting us be a part of your adventure. It was a pleasure hosting you some months ago. I hope to see you at some point in the future. Also, a parting few words: Faith, Hope, and Love, but the greatest is Love. . .
  16. WildsideRider

WildsideRider Cruiser Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That sounds like an awesome lifestyle...you two rock!! Thanks again for taking the time to share your adventure, for a year your updates where my lunch time reading at work :)
  17. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    What a fantastic voyage, report and awesome update post. Sounds like you got things figured out in a year, things that take a decade or two for some of us.

Thanks for taking us along. Think I am going to start reading it again.:clap
  18. MortimerSickle

MortimerSickle Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
    Congrats on the house.

Glad to see you are still doing well.

I wish you all the best.
  19. Harry94025

Harry94025 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Please add me to the long list of appreciative ADV readers of your ride reports. Have you thought about publishing a book about your trip?

Regards,
    Harry
  20. Ironheadziggy76

Ironheadziggy76 What the hell?

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the home purchase! Glad to hear you two are doing well and enjoying life.