10,000 Mile Ride Around North America

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flanga, Feb 12, 2008.

1. GSinEurope

GSinEurope wandering and wondering

Oddometer:
    I've also read this RR from beginning to end... absolutely wonderful! I've been planning a similar trip for my "retirement" ride for the last 10 years... and in 4 or so more years... I'll be on my way. In the meantime, I'm sure to make many other shorter rides to enjoy where you've been part by part. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    I taught a physical geography course for 3 years at one of our fine institutions in the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">U.S.</st1:place></st1:country-region> and truly enjoyed everything you pontificated about throughout the report :-) Fantastic job and motivates me to try and do a better job documenting my own rides for future posts.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Cheers,<o:p></o:p>
    Jeff
  2. draglemmag

draglemmag Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK…after reading this report twice and “wander jonesing”(sp) to the point of abandoning any reasonable regard to responsibility; I have reeled myself back in to reality. I have a great job that facilitates my adventures and a wife that forebears and has come to accept it. I am very fortunate.
    I do have a question…page 11, post #156 you had told about getting a motel room in Cortez, CO for $39.00…and that it was 100f weather. I’m sure I would have done the same thing. Did you get a chance to check-out Morefield Campground just off the entrance road to Mesa Verde? Had you considered camping there…disregarding the heat? I’ll be going through there in September and the weather trends tell me that is a favorable time to camp in the area. I’ll be honest…as your report progressed through Colorado, and you were headed that way I was sure you would end up staying there and I would get an upfront and personal account of the campground.
    Other than that little inquiry…I once again say that I have enjoyed this report very much and have passed it on to many of those with like minds. Thanks again…
  3. flanga

flanga Delusions of Adequacy

Oddometer:
    No, not that one, sorry. I'd camped at my last planned stopover in Gunnison, and Cortez was a re-provisioning stop before heading towards the PNW. I figured I stay in or very near town, explore Mesa Verde a bit, and use the town's services to restock. I have no firsthand info on the place you mentioned; sorry!
  4. tire joe

tire joe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fred thanks for the RR, had a great time reading about your ride. joe
  5. starwars1138

starwars1138 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks again for such a great ride report. My dad is currently toying with getting a Stich and I was wondering how yours performed for you as a single solution. You hit a myriad of temperatures and humidities from what I can tell. I'm sure you're a fan of the gear, I was just curious as to what you felt its shortcomings were (if any). Here in Georgia humidity is a problem in the summer...
  6. flanga

Oddometer:
    The shortcomings of Aerostitch riding clothing is that it's expensive, stiff as hell for the first few wearings, and is not going to win you any fashion awards.:lol3

But it's extremely durable, so the cost is more reasonable if you amortize it over a number of years or miles. The stiffness abates as the clothing breaks in, and it eventually more or less conforms to you riding position, becoming a very personalized fit. And as for fashion, well, if you're considering a 'Stitch, you're thinking performance and utility anyway; not fashion.

I use my 'Stitch 4 seasons. With minimal clothing underneath and all the vents open, it's fine in summer as long as you're moving. Sitting still in the sun, well, that's not gonna be fun no matter what. With the included liner, layered clothing and a heated vest, it's good to sub-zero (F) temps and highway-speed wind chills. In between scorching heat and deep-freezes, you vary your layers under the jacket and can meet just about any temp conditions.

I wash my Stitch maybe 2x a season, and use a wash-in re-waterproofing. I also lightly spray the clothing with a silicone water repellent like Scotchgard. Never had a problem with water, even in driving rain.

Hope that helps!
  7. BCBackRoads

BCBackRoads Travels with Gumby

Oddometer:
    Fred: Can you be more specific on what kind of "wash-in re-waterproofing" you use? And do you machine wash or hand wash? Inquiring minds want to know.

Wayne
  8. flanga

Oddometer:
    The Aerostitch site sells special non-detergent cleaning solution that removes dirt without screwing up waterproofing; and separate wash-in repellency-renewers. Machine wash or hand wash; your choice. I machine wash 'em. (Take the crash pads out first.) I also machine dry, but without fabric softener.

Examples:

http://www.aerostich.com/product.php?productid=19299&cat=398&page=1
    [​IMG]

http://www.aerostich.com/product.php?productid=19300&cat=398&page=1
    [​IMG]

http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Heavy-Duty-Scotchgard-p-19298.html
    [​IMG]
  9. Big-O

Big-O Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm definately being kept in suspense, feel like I'm reading one of my favorite novels. Each evening I've been treating myself to a brief read and now your getting closer to the end, or at least I caught up to you. Really though, I'm following your story and ride in anticipation to mine coming up, can't wait until your trip back across Canada. A BIG thank you for the adventure so far and keep safe! Grego :clap
  10. BCBackRoads

BCBackRoads Travels with Gumby

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply and the links Fred. I'll read up them to see if the products will work fine on other fabric riding gear. I have an older Kilimanjaro Jacket and a newer Tourmaster. Both are overdue for a good cleaning.:eek1

Once again, thanks for your terrific tale. I've really enjoyed your writing style and your fantastic pictures.

Wayne
  11. Thylex

Thylex Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here goes another ADVRider forum virginity. I can only agree with the rest. ACE report, I've enjoyed it tremendously, but it has ruined 3 days work for me :D
  12. flanga

Oddometer:
    It's always been a dream of mine to ruin productivity on a worldwide basis. :lol3
  13. tagesk

tagesk Tuscan rider

Oddometer:
    Well, if you were editor of BYTE in the 1985-90 frame, you also ruined my career. Instead of becoming a respectable professor in math (I have real talent for calculus, I "see" it), I ended up as a GS-riding bum in Toscana.

How awful, and it is all you fault. As I was reading BYTE and spending too much time on BIX, I forgot to read the fine details on why Green's and Stoke's theorems work. And from there on it was a slippery slope ending here.

To lure others as you lured me, I have ordered an extension to the RAM-mount that holds my Zumo so that I can attach a camera. From now on, I will strive to make you RR reach the quality of yours.

Or, in other words, wery well done!

[TaSK]
  14. 20scout

20scout Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's always been a dream of mine to ruin productivity on a worldwide basis. :lol3

I'm with you on that!!! :clap
  15. PenultimateMan

PenultimateMan Lost Boy

Oddometer:
    Call it the sentimental sap in me, Flanga, but I can't be the only one who's been waiting for the promised 'final thoughts' to act as a denouement to this remarkable odyssey, or the only one who was wondering how things worked out for you with your wife when you finally 'winged your way back to NH.

Of course, if you've been reserving comment upon that topic intentionally, then I feel quite the ass for having brought it up, and do apologise. :shog

I'd just like to see an amazing story have a happy ending.
  16. LynxSS

LynxSS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Took me most of a day and I finally got caught up again. My work productivity definitely took a nosedive after I found this thread and joined this site heh. You mentioned the numbers of low post count users commenting, I believe my first was in your thread also. Look at me now, you turned me into an addict :rofl

I have to say Flanga, that you've inspired me to do my own trip. I've been planning a 3K mile run to my sisters in Tulsa (NM, TX, OK, KS, CO) for a while now and outfitting the bike based on what I read from yours and other RRs. Luckily I have a wide spread distribution of friends along the way who've all offered couches for me to stay on, I'll only camp one night around Lake Texoma. Leaving in a few weeks I hope! wish me luck :D

If that one goes well, we're already in planning of a longer 5K trip for two of us to Maryland/NJ/NY area to coincide with a big gaming conference my friends from there put on in the fall. I've been wanting to do trips like this or yours for years and always found some excuse or another not to. Thanks to your RR you've given me the last little nudge to get out the door and start burning up my 7 or 8 weeks of paid vaca time I've saved up.
  17. Ronnysho

Ronnysho Adventurer

Oddometer:
    QUOTE "Would you please send a link to this thread to at least one other rider? I'd love to see the "views" counter on the first page go nuts. Again, the whole point of doing this is to share the info, so I'd love it of lots of other folks could join in. The more the merrier. Pile 'em on!"

Great report, wonderful writing capturing the reason we ride. Pics aren't bad either :D Sent it to five of my best riding buddies, we'll see

Ron
  18. Timmer

Timmer Curious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1 (but I'm biased :wink:) I've got an ST1100, but the Wing is preferred for distance travelling like you did Fred.
  19. bigequip

bigequip Ol' fart riding

Oddometer:
    I have been reading this off and on for 3 days. Fantastic report!! Keep it going!!:clap
  20. scalded dog

scalded dog n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello Flanga, this trip is my dream ride, only I want to ride route 66 for awhile, great narrative work, am enjoying immensely. One od the guys in our club emailed this to all on our forum. Southern Cruisers riding club,an all brand bike riding club. (not an MC). Later, Scalded Dog