10,000 Mile Ride Around North America

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flanga, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Old_Lion

Old_Lion Crotchety Biker

Oddometer:
    Mr Langa's engaging prose combined with stunning photography has created a ride report without parallel.

Thank you for taking the time to post it here.
  2. alexk243

alexk243 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great Report so far. very good job of pictures, looking through this post has made me really want to do a ride like this.

Ill be here following the whole report
  3. glenn514

glenn514 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    WOW! I was so impressed, I had to join the board! Great job, Fred, on that ride report...you almost had me hypnotized! Gonna have to download "GIMP" and see what's up with it!

Again, congrats on a superb trip...and an awesome report!:clap :clap :clap
  4. Gary Paul

Gary Paul Adventurer

Oddometer:

I think I'm with you, PenultimateMan, but I have to look up the meaning of "denouement" to be sure.:D

Great report, Flanga! I loved every mile (km) of it.

I came over to your report from Sly-on-2's report;I have a new found respect for Gold Wings! :thumb
  5. TrickyD

TrickyD n00b

Oddometer:
    Fred - I have followed your writings for many years through the magazines you have written for / edited, but this has to be the best yet!

:super

Makes my 1600 mile round UK trip look like a quick trip to the mall!

:rofl

Richard
  6. Acanuckinchina

Acanuckinchina n00b

Oddometer:
    Dear Fred, I have read your LangaLetter posts for many years from my homeof 6 years in the far north west of China, Xinjiang Autonomous Region. I am happy for you that you have retired but sad that I have lost a "friend" whom I have trusted to educate me in the ways of computer security and carefree enjoyment. You are missed, the website you left is no longer my first choice for information and is also no longer supported as I did for you in your paid version. That being said, as you may notice, I have registered here just to explain to you how pleased I was to find, through your final email, which lead me to your blog, which lead me to this forum and your trip, this stunningly descriptive write up of your long trip. I am a native-born Canadian from the Niagara Peninsula of Ontario. I have owned and ridden my '70 BMW R50/6 since 1975 but have never taken the trip-of-a-lifetime that you did. Your photos and writeup are wonderful and I read every word over two days. Thankyou so much for taking the time and effort to do such a complete job of describing this trip and I encourage you and do look forward to more from you. If you ever wish more desert riding, there will be a comfortable place to rest and recover in my home here in Dushanzi whenever you arrive. Feel free to contact me if you wish, it would be my pleasure to continue this friendship. A Canuck in China
  7. bimmerx2

bimmerx2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Absolutely the best RR I've read. So many reports read like directions to grandma's house (go 10 miles, turn left on I-xyz, go the kadodafig exit, head east... blah blah blah). This was more like reading about, well, an adventure!

If you ever head down this way the beer is on me - a tiny payback for the pleasure I've gotten from reading this story.

BTW - I'm riding up to the WSBK races in Salt Lake City in a couple of weeks and taking an extra week tracing some of the same routes you covered. Somehow I think my RR is going to seem even punier now.
  8. Bike2Hike

Bike2Hike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fred,
    Last month my son sent me the link to your RR. I was busy and didn't have much time to read. Once I got to page 4, I couldn't stop, and now I'm another productivity victim. Thanks to you I've joined ADVrider, and hope to post my own RR's some day. Your link has gone out to several of my riding friends as well.
    :norton

You've set the bar very high, so let's hope it raises the quality of RR's for us all.

Truly enjoyed all the effort you put into this.
    :beer
  9. Fleeter

Fleeter Wandering, but not lost.

Oddometer:
    Fred,
    I've been a fan of your writing since I was a regular List reader. Much of the computer stuff went over my head, but this topic has me right there with you the whole way! Thanks for sharing the ride! It's a great write up! You have a talent for giving your readers a feeling of riding along with you.

I took a 24 day ride from Virginia to the Pacific Northwest during July 2007. We probably saw some of the same storms and fires even though we were traveling in opposite directions -- I stayed north going westward and came back through Nevada, Utah, Colorado, etc. I'd have to say I enjoyed the Cascades the most and felt great satisfaction when I reached the Pacific at Cape Disappointment. Here's my route:
    [​IMG]

My ride report and photos are in my blog, if you're interested.
    http://fleeterlogs.blogspot.com/2007/07/81-painted-barns.html

www.FleeterLogs.blogspot.com
  10. RockyNH

RockyNH Older Than Dirt!

Oddometer:
    Claye, Hello!! I am amazed at who we run into where!! <grin> Good to see you out here too..

Pat in NH
  11. etdweasel

etdweasel Running On Empty...

Oddometer:
    Fred,

My wife is mad at you.

First, you drag me into the world of personal computers, costing me (tens? of) thousands of dollars lo these many years, now I have a real bug to take a long road trip. That was, without a doubt, the best ride report I've ever read, and I learned a number of things along the way. Thanks, Fred, for taking all of us along for the ride. Have you thought about contacting the Travel Channel and doing this full time in your retirement?

I mean, seein' as how you gotta leave home anyway, as my wife really is pissed...

Seriously, great ride, great photos, great videos, GREAT writing. Wish I'd been there. Hope to see more...soon!

Ride safe,:clap:clap:clap:clap

Chuck
  12. TheYeti

TheYeti Hard to be Humble

Oddometer:
    I've only finished pg2 but it's good :freaky
  13. worthless nut

worthless nut chicken striped

Oddometer:
    Thanks for this enjoyable RR. Great pics, writing and dry humor. :clap
  14. Beachbum07

Beachbum07 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey Fred,
    I was a LangaList reader for years. I am also a rider. I live in Fl, but now am in MN on a 5 month trip around the US & Canada. I write travelogs from my trips and am a photographer. Not sure if you will have the time or interest, but here is my Google map with tentative stops:
    http://www.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en....341656,-96.328125&spn=28.69568,74.794922&z=4

and my route so far:
    http://www.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...341656,-103.183594&spn=28.69568,74.794922&z=4

It was good to see in Windows Secrets the link to here. I kept up a while back, but since Jan. I have been planning this trip and then left May 5th.

Just wanted to say thnx for all the great LangaList tips and giving us the opportunity to read about your trip. Peace wildbill
  15. OffRoadCruiser

OffRoadCruiser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    An excellent ride report that deserves a bump for you FFs that missed it last year. :clap

Like I did.:lol3

Carl
  16. Krashdragon

Krashdragon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the bump...just sat and read the whole thing.
    And saved the maps...<bg>
    Wow, I used to read Byte... seems so long ago!
    Mary aka Krashdragon</bg>
  17. GrauTier

GrauTier Unmitigated nOOb

Oddometer:
    Finally finished this one. Thanks for sharing Fred!
  18. SgtNapalm

SgtNapalm ADV'er

Oddometer:
    Thanks Flanga...

for taking us along on your cool ride, very nice pictures and writing to go with.

Bump for any ADV'er that missed out on this one.

-sgt
  19. Bug Dr.

Bug Dr. Extroverted Loner

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the bump. I haven't seen this RR before and I am really enjoying reading it.
    Mike
  20. SgtNapalm

SgtNapalm ADV'er

Oddometer:
    It is Hot, here is a Bump for you all sitting a work and missed this one.

-sgt