1. eNewsletter Sign Up

10,000 miles on 650 klrs

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by flyrmg, Aug 18, 2009.

1. flyrmg

flyrmg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    just returned from alaska trip with riding buddy mark. both mounted on klr's-a 08 and a 09. basically stock bikes mounted with metzler tourances tires. total distance traveled just over 10 big ones in 19 days. my bike carried 290 lbs and mark was just over 310 lbs. averaged 52 mpg with a 16 tooth countersprocket running 4000 rpms most of the time giving us right at 60 mph.
    camped every nite, made possible with ultralite cot and a good sleeping bag, northface and big agnes. we aren't kids 55 and 65 years old. saw every type of road and trail-hot, cold, wind and rain. even up to the end of the trail at mccarthy fully loaded.
    bikes ran flawlessly, did 3 oil changes on road, between two used less than 1/2 quart of oil on entire ride. tires were right choice as most of the road was paved or hard gravel and often wet, no flats and they went the entire distance. 16 tooth sprocket gave us around 400 rpms, almost a 6th gear. wore pearl zumi bike shorts along with seat done by greatdaytoride.com and alaska leather sheep skin-all made the ride unbelieveably easy on the back end. wore teknic monsoon jacket, klim freestyle pants, teknic aquaslim gloves, sky walker boots and a arari rx-7 helmet. never had to put on the rain gear once even when it poured. had the new scala blue tooth com that worked for the first 3 days then went south.
    had done dohincky and frame upgrade and locktighted most but not all the bolts. only issue on either bike was front motor bolt rattled loose on my bike at 2500 miles, patched with lower frame bolt till replacement found in next town. also mark had a fuse blow for some reason that never recurred. adjusted stock chain 2 flats and used wd-40, no real sign of wear.
    gas can be expensive and bought a can of skoal that ran me 22 dollars in jasper. beer can be a real pain to find and more than one night we went to bed beerless-shocking.
    one road to take stewart-hyder.
    meet the lady that runs alaska leather-my kind of woman.
  2. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    10k on a KLR!?!?! Here's to you........... :thumb

Some behaviors are their own punishment, for instance abstinence and riding a KLR.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
  3. rocket25

rocket25 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That was a great job on explaing the items you used. To the point but informative, if the rest of the report is like this it will be great. Rember guys like to see food and camping spots.
  4. DirtDriven

DirtDriven Not Cheap,Thrifty

Oddometer:
    Pics Pics :D :lurk:lurk
  5. Northwoods Yeti

Northwoods Yeti Almost house broken

Oddometer:
    Sounds like there needs to be a ride report:deal
  6. blender

blender Just another rider

Oddometer:
    I did a couple 400 mile days on my KLR, but never as many as you two must have done on your 10K mile trip! When you guys got home how many days did it take for your butts to heal? ;)

Some more info on that ultralite cot would be helpful, perhaps a link? Was the cot from Northface or Big Agnes?
  7. AKoffroader

AKoffroader Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think I ran into you guys at the Willow Trading post. I was headed up over Hatcher Pass on a Blue Yamaha WR250R and you guys were headed up towards Cantwell. Gave you some ideas of places to stay and eat along the way.

Good to hear you trip turned out well.

Greg
  8. mikeprod92211

mikeprod92211 Desert Rat

Oddometer:
    A ride report like that without pictures???????
  9. flyrmg

flyrmg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    swear on mother's grave that butt was no problem however had some charlie horses at night, not sure what helped the most seat redo or bike shorts. the cot was from luxurylite.com-hell you could sleep lke a baby on a pile of rocks with this thing-it works, ain't cheap. in fact at mccarthy we did sleep on a pile of rocks. found it for 199 on ebay with free shipping.
    my pictures arn,t worth putting on- many people have done great jobs and it was so smoky that half the time we couldn't see stink anyway.
    having had many bikes thru the years the klr is not especially endearing for some reason, however if i were contemplating another trip to the frozen north (once is enough for me) the bike would probably be under me. maybe it's too reliable, too cheap to buy and operate- most guys like dangerous women to for better or worse.
    mike