1. eNewsletter Sign Up

10,000 Tracking Point Garmin Limit...How To Live With It!

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Wallowa, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:

I have my 680 on the "Auto" [in "Tracks"]...but this is in "Track Log Recording Method" and the three options are "Distance", "Time" and "Auto"...however none of these affect imported routes only track logs that my 680 creates...And yes the "Interval" "Track Recording Rate" has 5 optional rates from "Most Often" [?] to "Least Often" [?] again these affect the tracks I create in the 680 not the routes I import..
  2. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I haven't seen anyone else mention the pattern of point density that the Auto recording method creates. You asked about how points are created in the first post.

I can't imagine anyone creating a route with 10,000 points unless the route was converted from a track.
  3. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:

Understood and I found out that Garmin assigns the points...the how 10K could be created is a function of the interval that Basecamp/Garmin assigned to the routes I created in RideGps and then imported into my 680 as GPX files....for example take a 500 mile imported GPX route that Garmin has assigned a 1 sec interval to and you are way over 10K tracking points along that route....only way to lessen the number of Tracking Points is in "Filter" at bottom of Basecamp page.

This question has still not been answered: What speed does Garmin assume you are traveling when it assigns a 1 sec TP interval?

Without a know or assumed speed the 1 sec interval might get you 500 miles or 500 feet before the max 10K is reached depending on how fast you are traveling.
  4. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    its easy to do. 10,500+ points:
    Screenshot_2018-12-20-10-47-24.png
  5. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:

Look I do appreciate all the input but I must be phrasing my questions incorrectly...I never said you could not exceed 10K tracking points when constructing routes....just that beyond that 10K the route is truncated...

On my 680T at the point along a route that you hit the 10K limit for my 680T the route line stops [Magenta for me] and beyond that point there is no route guidance...the route is 'truncated'..

Last shot at this for me....

I am not creating a route in Basecamp or laying down tracks in the 680T to create a route in the 680T...I am importing entire routes as GPX files from RideGPS website to my 680T....I do this by importing them into my "Garmin" then "GPX" folders, with the 680T in Mass Storage and attached to my computer, these routes will now transfer and be shown in my "Track Manager" in the 680t....if I open that route in "Track Manager" and the "Tracking Point" window shows 10K I have exceeded the maximum my GPS will display and the route will be truncated....if it displays less than 10K the entire route will be defined by my Magenta route line.

I can only lessen the number of Tracking Points on these imported routes in Basecamp's "Filter" which by default is set at 1 Tracking Point per second...I can lengthen the time interval or increase the distance between tracking Points within this "Filter" file....lengthening either degrades the quality of the route delineation and ends up missing intersections or straightening out sections of curves....remember I only create routes for off-road riding and the routes are seldom straight but often have intersections so accuracy of the route designation is critical to see what is coming and to prep me for riding decisions.

Also last time for this questions which in my mind is crucial when using a timed Tracking Point interval: What speed does Garmin assume you are traveling when it assigns a 1 sec TP interval?

Without a known or assumed speed the 1 sec interval might get you 500 miles or 500 feet before the max 10K is reached depending on how fast you are traveling.

Out-here and thanks again for the responses....sorry if my questions were not clear enough or precise enough; but I do appreciate the input.

Phil
    ohgood likes this.
  6. ohgood

Oddometer:

oh ok, got it.

general rule of thumb for the low memory Garmin units is half a day (single track or otherwise) per route. that will normally get you somewhere between 2000-5000 points.

if you have a full days (10-16 hours) worth of riding and enough curves, you'll blow through the 9999 limit.
  7. MayoMud

MayoMud Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I broke the KAT file (30-40k points) into four pieces to get around the point limit as otherwise it would truncate. Did it a dew years ago in base amp. Can’t remember exactly how but it was not too hard... then loaded one at a time during our trip...
  8. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not assuming anything. You set 1 sec interval you get 1 sec interval. That's why there are other interval settings.
    1 sec interval might be useable at Mach 1 and above speeds
  9. Grinnin

Oddometer:
    You certainly didn't display a map on a screen and mark 10,500+ points manually. Or maybe you did. I just can't see marking that many points on a map.

I don't even think a program would use that many points if you gave it a reasonable number of placed to go.

I suspect that the 10,500+ point route was created by recording, no?
  10. ohgood

Oddometer:
    it's just a plotted route, working from memory of similar trips in the past. probably used 8-10 shaping points and then let the rest plot automagically.

normally i record street tracks at 15 meter and 5 seconds for each point, (single track is 15 meters OR 3 seconds so a recorded track would likely be double that count at least. the frequency is way higher than it needs to be for street recording, but i like to have finer detail on my side for if/when there is a collision.

here I'll upload the gpx

Attached Files:

11. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:
    At last a recommendation for intervals that would work off road running 20-30 mph [15m or 3 sec, your single track set-up; I will test this on a ride]...thanks; not sure I understand the "collision" aspect...and as "250" said perhaps the 1 sec interval would work at Mach 1....

I am going to call Garmin and ask them what speeds they were assuming when they set the 1 sec interval default which quickly finds me at 10K in 2.8 hours of riding [10,000 seconds / 60 = 167 mins = 2.8 hours] at 30 mph average that only gets me 84 miles before route is truncated.

I will simply stitch together sections of routes to keep each one under the 10K limit and dial in the tracking interval that: {A} give me sufficient details off road and {B} that keeps the Tracking Point # under 10K....
  12. Grinnin

Oddometer:
    So you're saying that 8 or 10 points will do the job and you got a program to supply 10,500+ instead.
  13. ohgood

Oddometer:

if i have a crash, it might prove beneficial to show my speeds 4 seconds or so before the crash.

i experimented and 20 meters AND 10 seconds is plenty good for street riding. itt requires both to be met before a track point is recorded.

1 second, i dunno ,thats just pointless.
  14. ohgood

Oddometer:
    no.

the 10k points in the route is what makes it go where i want it to, on the roads i want it to.

if i only used 8-10 points and then let the gps plot whatever it felt was best, it would be a different route entirely.
  15. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:
    I am going to guess here about the "benefit" of knowing your speed before a crash...are you referring to a track day at a race track? Otherwise on dirt or hwy I don't see a benefit...but there is a lot I don't see!:D
  16. ohgood

Oddometer:
    if there is no other witness to a dual sport collision (I'm expired) at least the wife n kids can pick out the poorly executed wheelies from the tracks, just before i bought the farm ;-)
  17. EnduroRdr

EnduroRdr Woods Racer & D/S Rider

Oddometer:
    Formerly BR-LA, LR-AR, Houston-Tx, now South MS
    Sounds like your importing directly into your Garmin 680T directly from the RideGPS website.

You may be better served to download the track files and save on your computer as a gpx file. Then open it on a program like base camp or mapsource (or other 3rd party program if you don’t like Garmin program).

Then do the manipulation or optimize it. Then send it to your Garmin 680T.

Sorry if I don’t understand or got your method wrong.

Phil - this! See MayoMud post:

You keep asking: yea yea I get it creating tracks - but what about working with imported tracks?

In response to that imported aspect:

We covered how you can reduce the point count after importing into base camp or mapsource (I’m sure there are other non Garmin sources for this option) but the optimization that keeps more points in curves and less in straights is the best method to hold reasonable detail on your maps.

Outside of that you’re chasing unicorns, you’re going to have to make some sort of compromise to work within the point count limits allowed on your gps device to avoid the derided “truncated error”.

Maybe the best compromise is - less detail or maybe it’s. - several smaller files saved on your gps or SD cards?

Otherwise do as MayoMud suggests and break it into several track files and load (or import to your gps) in several sections then display each smaller/shorter track as needed when riding.

We may not completely understand your dilemma, so don’t take it personal.

We just try to offer suggestions or solutions as best we can.

Good luck - hope all this helps.