10 day best of Oregon ride

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by ShenandoahDS1, May 17, 2020.

1. ShenandoahDS1

ShenandoahDS1 Dirtbike

Oddometer:
    Hi, looking to get some help on planning a trip to Oregon. Group of 7 riders that have never been to the west coast heading out on July 31st. We are shipping the bikes from VA and flying out to Portland to start things out. We will have our own support truck the whole way (I know it's cheating) and so we can ride light at times. I think we have a pretty solid plan but would love some input from everyone. We are starting with slab down the coast to coos bay to spend the night. Ride half or full day on the dunes and pickup route 6 of the ORBDR to Route 3. Then the plan is to take route 3 up towards Mt Hood on the CDR and finish back in portland. Looking to have "rest days" in Coos Bay, Bend, and Mt Hood where half the group will rest and half will ride more technical terrain. Bike going range from a XT250 to a KTM690R and ages from 33 to 60. Any help with must see stops along the route would be fantastic along with any heads up on closures!
  2. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    Valsetz, Falls City...
  3. ShenandoahDS1

ShenandoahDS1 Dirtbike

Oddometer:
    I wish we had 3 weeks to ride. Looks like we can make a longer loop on route 2 to route 5 section 2 and circle back on route 4. Not sure how long that would take but I would love to get some eastern Oregon in the mix.
  4. redlabelmoto

redlabelmoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My recommendations were based on me thinking this was a street focused ride. My bad sorry! Wherever you go it’ll be a blast.
  5. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you using the (quasi) ORBDR route at all? Lots of great trails there.
  6. ShenandoahDS1

ShenandoahDS1 Dirtbike

Oddometer:
    Yes I ordered all maps and gpx from the ORBDR website. I hope they stay current and there are not a bunch of closures.
    Dan Diego likes this.
  7. ShenandoahDS1

ShenandoahDS1 Dirtbike

Oddometer:
    Appreciate the info, once we leave the Oregon coast highway hoping to not see a paved road until returning to Portland.
    Dan Diego likes this.
  8. sluagh

sluagh not fade away

Oddometer:
    Your start date is about the beginning of the fire season. Some recent years have been really bad. I suggest watching that situation as the date gets closer and have alternatives in mind if this year is bad. You won't necessarily be stopped by fire but the smoke can be thick and it takes a lot of fun out of the experience.
    tommybelvedere likes this.
  9. eric n

eric n Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rent or buy a pair of sat phones one for the support truck and one for the group. much of the backroads have spotty coverage due to complex terrain.

Some sections be prepared to camp on your own anyway. *Any* time estimates to get through should be treated with caution.

These guys set out to do the OBDR and it took two weeks (filming made it longer) and the lost a rider who ran out of gas.

10. DiggerD

DiggerD DougFir from SuperDuke Days

Oddometer:
    So you are putting new tires on in Coos Bay?

Valsetz, Falls City ? ? ? ? naaaaa
  11. tempus fugit

tempus fugit Time Flies...

Oddometer:
    I think you have a good plan.

As mentioned elsewhere, central and eastern Oregon is arguably the best of Oregon. The west side of the Cascade mountain range is green and more populated. The dunes on the coast during peak summer will be Party Town. Route 6 will take you over the Cascades. The Central and East is high desert, more open, and less populated. By July 31, it will be hot and dusty in the east. I would avoid route 5 that time of year. Bend and La Pine are somewhat on the fringe on the eastern slopes of the Cascades with spectacular mountain views to the west. From Bend heading west you will gain elevation and the forest will become more dense and cooler. Route 3 stays near the Cascades so it's a good choice for that time of year.

In the Bend area, you might want to consider staying at MotoFantasy in La Pine. They rent bikes and lodging. Bend is turning into a big city which we prefer to avoid. MotoFantasy is a little ways south in La Pine. We usually go there with a group and rent the upper floor of the house and use it as a base for day rides. If you wanted to take a rest day while some riders ventured out there is much to see near there.

The road to Paulina Lake and Paulina Peak is near there. We call Paulina Lake the other Crater Lake. It's much less crowded. There are also dual sport roads descending from there into a very large ohv area to the east for some more advanced riding but it will probably be very dusty unless it rains. Heading west from there are many cool roads and high Cascade lakes to explore. Doug and Gloria are excellent hosts. Doug and his friends are usually in the garage in the evening for Happy Hour and bench racing. What a great bunch of guys. They will be able to steer you toward some cool local routes.

Have a great trip. Hopefully we have a mild forest fire season and all the roads are open and not much smoke spoiling your views.
  12. ShenandoahDS1

ShenandoahDS1 Dirtbike

Oddometer:
    thanks for the info sounds like a great place to stay. Anybody in the bend area rent lighter dual sports for some single track?
  13. tempus fugit

tempus fugit Time Flies...

Oddometer:
    I know at one time Doug had a connection to a local company that would rent light dualsports since he only has street bikes. I don't remember the name. Google brings up a couple hits but I have no experience with them at all. I think your bikes would be fine on the single track, assuming you have dualsport tires and air down the tires to 12 psi.