10 Days of Utah Desert Madness!!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Joe Motocross, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    I personally won't opt for a hotel room just as a challenge to myself. Only after my partners declare mutiny will I fold. Plus, I'm too much of a cheap bastard!!
  2. New Trick

New Trick A guy that likes to ride

Oddometer:
    Geeze JoMo, I think you should cut "Gary Busey" some slack. Maybe the last room he had an extended stay in, one of the Laffertys was his roommate, and the toilet didn't have a seat on it.
  3. Fronnzy

Fronnzy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My new favorite ride report. Diggin' the minimalist style. What do you carry for tools, spares etc.?

Bjorn
  4. huckleberry

huckleberry BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer:
    cool ride! thanks for shareing! would like to know where that bridge was.
  5. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Here's a shot of the tools. I welded a box end wrench on the tire iron to loosen the wheel nuts. Note also the square drivers welded onto the wrenches to turn the sockets. This kit will take care of most issues. It includes a patch kit from the local grocery store (nothing fancy); a bag of spare nuts, bolts and washers; 8,10,12,14 & 17mm sockets; screw driver bits; allen key bits; bit driver; socket extension, 8,10,12,13, & 14mm open end and box end wrenches; small pliers; piece of hack saw blade; various gauges of wire; couple of hose clamps.
    [​IMG]

The stuff is basically just permanently mounted on my bike with Voile Straps, by far the best ever motorcycle strap. We carry no less then one front tube (which you can jam in the rear wheel in a pinch) but most of the time we have one of each. They rarely get used cause we patch the tube if at all possible. Unbelievably, we didn't have a single flat the whole trip. To me this is basically unheard of. My record is 6 flats in one day: 2 fronts and 4 rears, totally different problems each time.
    [​IMG]

You need to be proficient at tire changing out here. It WILL happen but it's no big deal if you take the time to learn. Usually the story goes something like somebody flats out, we regroup and heckle the pour victim as he's sweating and wrestling his tire off in the dirt. We usually take a few photos to add insult. We've been documenting flats for a long time now. We've been thinking about publishing the Coffee Table Book of Dirt Bike Flats. There are numerous categories and classes. For instance, you can have a simple class 1 puncture where you never really know what happened, just a simple hole. Then you get the class 1 snake bite where the tube gets pinched between the rim and a rock, log or train track. A class 1 snake bite represents just one hole where a class 4 snake bite has the classic double pinch on each side of the rim producing 4 holes. Valve core failure can dupe the best of them and can result in humiliation after the victim has taken out the tube only to find no hole in it, rather, a piece of sand or something in the valve core causing a slow leak. This also often results in ridicule from peers as well. Class 1 patch failure is not too uncommon where an old patch finally looses its adhesive. Less common but still seen are a puncture, slice or snake bite on top of an old patch (these can obviously be class 1 through 5 depending on the severity). Then there's the dreaded class 5 nail puncture where you pick up a nail and keep riding unaware the tires gone flat and with every rotation of the wheel the nail violently stabs another hole through the tube. This is one of the most grotesque as you can end up with like 20 holes or more where the tube ends up being a battered, slashed and lifeless corpse and must be laid to rest. I encourage anyone to submit descriptions of odd flat tire occurrences as I'm sure we haven't seen them all.

Convoluto likes this.
  6. Fronnzy

Fronnzy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's a great setup. Nice idea with the welding. Thats a good little project for the winter. Thanks for the tips and ride report man, it's much appreciated.

One last question, with all the flat experience, do you go with a Co2 cartridge or simple hand pump, it's hard to tell from the pic. One of my riding buddies ripped the guts out of 12 volt car style pump, it's just the motor, some tubing, wire and a gauge. I think he stores it in small little bag he bought at a surplus store. It works pretty good, but he has to be there as I don't have a 12 volt yet.

Thanks again.

B.
  7. wachs

wachs just passin' through

Oddometer:
    Most excellent ride, report and photos - Here's a flat story, '95 KTM RXC 620 (w/Malcom Smith header and supertrapp) M5B 140 rear. Thing has so much juice it'd spin the valve stem right off the tube. Yes, I had a rim lock, and eventually drilled it for 2 rim locks but in the right conditions (ultra chocolate, moist PNW volcano soils after a good rain) it'd still spin the bitch right out of the tube. Yes, Ultra HD toobs. You could hear the thing spew the air out after a particularly perfect berm and by the time my buddies had returned, I'd have the wheel off, toob out and be stuffing that spare 21" in.

More Voile please!
  8. jesusgatos

jesusgatos fishing with dynamite

Oddometer:
    Start a new thread for flat stories and pictures. That's a GREAT idea.
  9. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Yup, can't patch a tube with no valve stem!! Good one.

The pump is from Target. Again nothing special. 300 to 400 strokes to fill a tire. Probably should replace it soon as I bought it around 2001. Seems to work fine still and I guess if it's not broken...........

The bridge is across the Colorado at the upper end of Lake Powell.
  10. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Blah Blah Blah, croffee, blah blah blah. We headed out with lots of energy and our route would provide lots of excitement today.
    [​IMG]

Not too far down the gravel we started on some designated routes.
    [​IMG]

These are mostly used by motorcycles these days.
    [​IMG]

This section was really fun. It’s fairly soft terrain. If you’re wanting to attempt a lot of these routes in Utah you should not only be capable of riding in soft sand but like it as well.
    [​IMG]

At an intersection we opted for a wash. The wash had run the previous day from a few cells that were producing rain. This made the wash a bit greasy but nothing more then demanding a little concentration. It wasn’'t like you’d sink the bike to the handle bars which does happen sometimes. Just enough to keep you on your toes here.
    [​IMG]

The wash was long and we were in it for about an hour or more. It was fairly high speed with lots of water, drop offs, and cornering. We were in our element!!!!
    [​IMG]

The wash yielded to a gravel road and we passed some ok scenery.
    [​IMG]

It was kind of fun to look at if you like that stuff.
    [​IMG]

Next up we noticed my partner’s rear wheel bearing cover was locked up and not spinning with the wheel. This gave us a little concern because of the condition of his back hub. See, over the summer the hub became so loose that the bearings no longer fit tight in the hub, they’d just fall out. He did the old beer can shim trick where you jam a bunch of PBR can in the hub and bash the bearing in on top of it-HUB FIXED!!! Well it’s a temporary fix at best but when we feared bad things were going on here it turned out the beer cans were still holding the bearing secure. We cleaned the mud out and away we went.
    [​IMG]

Now we were climbing out of the desert and had to bid her fare well until next time. This is looking back down at the valley we came up.
    [​IMG]

It would be quad trails for the rest of the day.
    [​IMG]

These trails were superb and flowed through the high elevation nicely. Lots of 3rd gear terrain.
    [​IMG]

There were a few sections that were slower and rocky. I ate shit pretty good just before this photo but no damage done except a good sized bruise on my hip.
    [​IMG]

We came across a fairly wide river crossing that took my partner off guard until I walked it. Unless you’re absolutely sure about the crossing it'’s best to check it. Even if you'’ve done it many times before things change with a hard rain and the next thing you know you’'ve sucked a bunch of water. Countless times we’'ve been laughing at a buddy who charges it without checking and goes down in the drink. This was wide but fairly shallow with a smooth hard bottom.
    [​IMG]

No worries.
    [​IMG]

Back to buttery ATV trails.
    [​IMG]

Now were dropping elevation in the afternoon.
    [​IMG]

Another river crossing. This one didn’'t need checking, we just punched it.
    [​IMG]

We passed through a small town, stocked up on everything including some cold beer and we even bought a bag of ice for the Old Crow. We spun out of town a few miles and called it good. It was very strange hearing those cubes jingle around in the metal cups of whiskey. What a treat!!
    [​IMG]

Next up, dinner before we got too sloppy. This is one of the favorites: vegetables in tin foil with some flesh on the adjust-a-fork.
    [​IMG]

We went with country style spare ribs and BBQ sauce.
    [​IMG]

At this juncture we were totally at ease. The days ride panned out just right with tons of action. We had a great meal, cold beer and whiskey on ice. All the characters we ran into were providing ample amounts of laughter. The loop was coming together and we were actually farther ahead then expected. We still had about 200 miles to go but we were close enough that even a major break down wouldn'’t be an issue. I was thinking that things had gone way too smooth on the whole trip but I kept my trap shut until we rolled in to SLC.

[​IMG]

Rich Rider and 59DEN like this.
  11. ktmnate

ktmnate Long timer

Oddometer:
    What a great report! It's just amazing how far you can ride and stay in the dirt. There's not many places in California where you can do that. Possibly in northern California but in the Sacramento area, you have to ride 30 miles just to get to the dirt.

Nate

PS- what kind of range were you getting with those tanks
  12. windburn

windburn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your report is true Adventure riding. I'm sure that your goal of encouraging others to ride these trails is accomplished, fine report. It has the edge tension of the Angola report. Just a joy to read.
  13. Belgian Waffles

Belgian Waffles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow!! :eek1

Amazing, amazing, amazing. How many days worth of food did you pack at a time??

And are those 400s youre riding?

Looks like I need to get me something smaller than the KLR

Ride safe,
    Belgian Waffles
  14. brad21

brad21 We have a pool... and a pond.

Oddometer:
    Wow, every installment just puts me more in awe. Nice. :bow
  15. Mark950

Mark950 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That was an hour well spent reading this report. Now my mind is running and planning a trip something along these minimalist lines.

:clap :clap :clap
  16. backspinnn

backspinnn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My favorite ride report of all times. A man's trip!

I am leaving for Moab tommorow night, but we are staying in a campground like pussies.
  17. Scottosphere

Scottosphere n00b

Oddometer:
    This has been a pleasure to read. The action shots are inspiring. The narrative is entertaining. And there are nuggets of wisdom mixed in too (straps, tool + tool welding, always check depth and firmness of water crossings when in doubt, etc.).

Joe, make sure to write a RR when you decide to sleep in the dirt in all your gear and helmet.
  18. dirtrider

dirtrider Dusty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    But you can! Had to do it once on my 300 EXC in the middle of nowhere. The valve stem was ripped off but was still in the wheel. Removed the tube and had one of those big patches. Poked a hole through the middle of the patch, put the valve stem back on the tube and ran the patch over the top of the valve stem with plenty of glue and crossing of fingers. Gave it ample drying time, aired it up and it held! Rode it the rest of the day.:clap

Awesome report by the way!
  19. EZ300

EZ300 Just wanna ride my motorsickle

Oddometer:
    I know this spot!

I just rode the Abajo Mountains this year. Awesome trails!:clap
    [​IMG]
  20. Milhaus

Milhaus Made in Denmark

Oddometer:
    Pretty sure they are on 520/525s.