10 Days of Utah Desert Madness!!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Joe Motocross, Sep 16, 2008.

1. "D"aily "R"ider 650

"D"aily "R"ider 650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hell yeah!!!! great pics and RR.

:lurk :lurk :lurk
  2. Zerodog

Zerodog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome guys!!:clap
  3. AngryScot

AngryScot .

Oddometer:
    nice pictures and report (not finished it yet), a part for the gas stash bit.....not cool. I didn't read the whole thread so forgive me if it all turned out ok in the end. Great you left money for what you took and they took a chance on leaving it out there, but I don't think that is very good bike karma as I think you put it.
  4. BrassAss

BrassAss Lost, but not forgotten

Oddometer:
    One of the best trip reports I've seen in some time. Love how you just went for the adventure instead of the planned run of the mill ride. Great job!!!:clap
  5. Gunslinger1

Gunslinger1 GIVE'R

Oddometer:
    :clap :clap OH Yea..........Great ride and you told the story very well.
    THanks for taking the time.
  6. Super Suz

Super Suz N00b with B00b

Oddometer:
    Hot Diggity Dang!

I love this stuff! It's this kind of report that has made me addicted to this site.

That' some mancation right there. Superior manuevers and manly minimalist camping too.

Thanks so much for all of this. Great pics. It's obvous that you guys took the time to think about your shots and to get the full perspective of the scene and the rider on the trail in each shot. We can all learn from your photos.

SS
  7. SixTwoLeemer

SixTwoLeemer Backcountry Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Hey JoeMotorcross,

Killer report!! and Nice Pix!! I keep promising myself that I am going to sit down and figure out how to post awesome pix.

BTW,

Do you remember seeing a group of ten riders pass you guys up above Gooseberry?? I think you guys were at some restrooms and we jumped on the Great Western Trail right next to you. I can vividly remember you standing next to the bikes looking at us as we caught the trail not 20ft. away. I can remember thinking " That guy is prolly wondering why all these riders just rode by and didn't stop to say hi??"

Well, we were on the same sort of journey as you, just on a smaller scale. We were riding from Mt. Pleasant to Torrey and we had to make time. We had gotten slowed down earlier in the day and we were well behind.

Also, I cant believe how many places I have been on my bike in Southern Utah that are out of the way..........and they show up on your report!!

We went from Torrey to Bryce Canyon then back to Circleville. Our trip was great but pales in comparison to yours. We'll have to try harder next time!!

Thanx for your efforts.
  8. scubasmith67

scubasmith67 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great pics!
  9. Thylex

Thylex Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great report and the pics are just fabulous!
  10. Mojave Jack

Mojave Jack Time - two edged sword

Oddometer:
    Saweeeeeeeeeeet!!! True adventure spirit...no gps, reroutes, no tents, no stools/chairs,...great pics and great skills, what about answering the snake question? Any creepy crawlies attack the sleeping bags while your in 'em? please include us on your next trips...
  11. Milhaus

Milhaus Made in Denmark

Oddometer:
    That was awesome! Can you do it again?!!! :lol3
  12. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:
    One of the all-time great reports. Thanks!
  13. Stillupright

Stillupright Make my day

Oddometer:
    Damn, Joemoto, that was a real hardcore ride. Beautiful remote country. Thanks for the report.

I talked with a guy last year and it came out that I rode a dual sport bike. He says "man I hear a lot of bike riders get bitten by snakes because the noise upsets them." I could only:lol3
  14. Dudley

Dudley Long timer

Oddometer:
    Chaska, Minnesota, Palm Desert, California
    I inherited some property near Altonah about 15 years ago. I've never seen it, just keep paying the taxes, which went up X3 this year. I broke down on my last long haul ride on my T-160 in '96, in Duchesene and stopped for gas in Vernal last July. I guess I'll drag my DS out there next year after reading this report.
    Dudley
  15. james t kirk

james t kirk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    YOW- time to do some research!

i'm a desert rat...so after the abajo's you dropped in to indian creek and took beef basin road and went DEEP. i'm going to ride that section this fall! all the way to powell and then hanksville via the henrys! righteous! mmmm, after hanksville looks like cainville maybe? then along the SR swell? you went north on the west side of the swell?

i've been thinking of taking that road north through the maze district of canyonlands NP that starts from hwy95 near hite. i wonder if there is good dirt north of the park and horseshoe canyon that would bring you all the way to I-70 then cross the green river....back to moab via white wash ect.

after reading this....now i'm gonna ride hard all day tomorrow!!!

KIRK OUT
    [​IMG]
  16. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    Holy crap boys and girls!!! I had a bad “get off” at the dunes last weekend. After doing a hand stand over the bars, the bike decided to land on me leaving a broken femur and mucho knee ligament damage. I had a handful of superhero’s who work as ski patrollers that totally took care of the situation and drug me out. Buuurrt was ther for the carnage as well. These guys put the initial paramedics to shame!!
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Anyway, looks like I’ve got some time to share a few more photos which I will do.
    <o:p></o:p>
    As far as desert varmints, there are plenty. Generally small rattlers and a few scorpions but I’ve never had an issue with them.
    <o:p></o:p>
    SixTwoLeemer: We do remember you guys passing by and figured just as much. Sometimes you just gotta twist the god out of it!!!! Maybe our paths will cross another time.
  17. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    I ended up doing another 4 day ride out of SLC the next week with these two clowns that should've been on the initial ride. One was on another WR450 and had no problem adopting the minimalist approach. Another was on a 525 EXC that had a couple of small plastic saddlebags that were mounted on the bike. He brought a little more gear then needed and paid the price a couple times for the extra weight. This dude is tough as nails though. He's in his early 50s and can suck it up with the best of em.

Our route would again be kind of a free flow leaving through the mountains out of SLC, heading into the desert and working back up again.

[​IMG]
  18. CJohn

CJohn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about your get off in the dunes, hope you get well soon.
  19. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Salt Lake to Castle Dale

We took off on a nice warm day. Got over the Wasatch and I snapped this shot of the leaves just starting to change. The golf course is the type of stuffiness that we are trying to get away from which is another reason for this shot.
    [​IMG]

Now we're on to small Forest Service roads leading up into the Uintas/Strawberry area. The fall colors are coming on nicely. Riding is easy and we're covering a good amount of ground.
    [​IMG]

We ended getting up onto a ridge that we'd follow for quite a while. It provided great vistas the whole way.
    [​IMG]

Forest Service roads yielded to fun ATV trails along the same ridge.
    [​IMG]

The ATV routes then yielded to a nice long section of single track.
    [​IMG]

This single track was in good condition. It wasn't especially fast, mostly 2nd gear stuff.
    [​IMG]

It wasn't very technical with just a few minor creek crossings.
    [​IMG]

Just good single track riding.
    [​IMG]

In and out of the woods with lots of fall color showing.
    [​IMG]

We crossed a gravel road and took a break at this pull out. Note the amount of cloud cover in the distance which is the direction we're heading. This would provide a little action later.
    [​IMG]

Back onto the single track and on a decent now.
    [​IMG]

Here was the first mistake we made on the trip. We didn't walk this crossing. I've crossed it a few times before and it is just a fairly smooth road that crosses the creek numerous times. We'd already crossed it a couple times as we were coming down this valley. The only problem was a beaver family had built a damn near this crossing pushing the depth up to near 3 feet deep. My buddy took it first and got surprised but made it. He then took a video of me where I just barely make it. I'm sure he was hoping to capture some carnage. Note the laughter of finding it a bit deeper then expected.

Then our other buddy goes for it and comes up short. Note the two of us chuckling in the background as he's wading in the water with the stalled bike. We, of course, always help each other out but not with out a little heckling and laughter!!

Even though I made it, the crossing was deep enough where I sucked enough water into the airbox so the bike would not run. Here I am squeezing out water
    [​IMG]

After the minor delay we got back on track. We were heading south on the Skyline road. We weren't that excited about the clouds in the distance.[​IMG]

Sure enough, things got greasy. This can be a MAJOR concern and I've known more then one party of dirt bikers who've had to abandon the bikes and go on foot because it's too greasy to keep them up. It was just about to that point with us. It was intense enough that we didn't snap any photos. We knew the distance wasn't that long and were just trying to push through before it became any more wet. We made it and knocked some of the mud off.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We were quite relieved at this point to be cruising on a firm surface getting ready to drop elevation.
    [​IMG]

We started working down off the Skyline to the east. It was late afternoon by the time we got onto this cattle/ATV route dropping into this canyon down into the desert.
    [​IMG]

This was a really fun route down. Narrow with quite a bit of concentration needed.
    [​IMG]

It spit us into a nice wash at the bottom.
    [​IMG]

A route along a series of ridges and washes spit us into Castle Dale where we loaded up on supplies.
    [​IMG]

Then it was out into the desert to find a nice camp. There were enough clouds threatening that we opted to put up our makeshift shelters. My partners just stretched tarps off their bikes or trees.
    [​IMG]

I found out that I could set up a rain fly without the tent it belongs to. This is a VERY small unit that provides a good amount of rain cover. The fly and stakes and single pole are just as small if not smaller then a tarp. I'm really into this method.
    [​IMG]

Then it was onto booze and food.
    [​IMG]

There's not too much that's better then a rib eye on the adjust-a-fork. "Oooh-gahh!"
    [​IMG]

A couple of rounds of blah blah blah and its lights out. This ends a long but successful and really fun day. This just seems like an extension to the journey I was on a few days before. To my partners, theey're just totally digging the beginning. [​IMG]
  20. jerdog53

jerdog53 Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer:
    :wingsits all i can say! :wings