1. eNewsletter Sign Up

10 Days to Play in B.C.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by gunnerbuck, Sep 6, 2016.

1. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    I had a bunch of riders interested in this yrs journey but when the time came only Chris and Tom could make the full trip ... Lane camped with us the first 2 nights and then had to leave to take care of his business... Dave rode with us for half a day on day 7..

The plan was, no plan, let the weather dictate our moves and we would try to stay off the paved roads as much as we can... Options to consider were Bella Coola and Taseko lakes in middle B.C... Telkwa pass, Salmon Glacier and Telegraph Creek in Northern B.C. ... Or run some of the B.C. TCAT along with some optional side routes.. Taseko did not look good when we considered the amount of rain the area received and what it would do to the river crossings..

Day 1 we left the hot Balmy 30+ degree weather on the Island for the cooler damper weather on the Cariboo/ Chilco side of the coast range... Wait a minute that sounds wrong, but in fact this August we have had warmer drier weather on the Island than what is usually one of the driest regions in Canada..

Travelling Music:
    SMURPH and eaglescan like this.
  2. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Day #1

[​IMG]
    It is always nice to get past the Whistler bottleneck, once at the lake one can relax..
    [​IMG]
    3 options when going up the sea to sky, Duffy, Hurley or Highline, I prefer the Highline for its mountain slope roads and scenery, I think Tom would agree..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    We always like to stop on the bridges and give the trolls a hard time, our constant chatter seems to irritate them... We are always ready to make a hasty retreat when we hear them start to climb up the stanchions toward us...
    [​IMG]
    As we headed inland we ran into pockets of drizzle as the clouds closed in... We had checked the weather and knew this drizzle was supposed to pass over night..
    [​IMG]
    We headed up the Yalacom and stopped at the Leprechaun cabin to take a few pictures.. I couldn't properly capture the water color in these shots
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    We rode up a ways and I suggested we find a camp lower in the valley to avoid the higher elevation cooler overnight temps..
    [​IMG]
    We found a crowded place to camp
    [​IMG]
    We started staking our claims as the crowd rolled in
    [​IMG]
    Tom grumbled a bit about the tight quarters, but finally settled on a spot
    [​IMG]
    My area also seemed a little confined
    [​IMG]
    Lanes hamock came in handy as later before dark we were able to suspend our food under it away from the bears..
    [​IMG]
    After the tenting was sorted out then came the competition for table and cooking space , for some it was going to be a chilli night.. The green stove is the border between west table half and east table half, Lane thinks the pot is encroaching on his half and gives that measuring up for a coffin look..
    [​IMG]
    Last picture from day 1, a near perfect campsite with river noise to cover all the circling animal sounds..
  3. german996

german996 to infinity and beyond....

Oddometer:
    im in , at the very beginning I thought we were talking BC as Baja California! looks like a great ride,,,,
    damasovi likes this.
  4. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Some of it on day 2- 3 might look a little like Baja California, only up here the cactus are tiny...
    Fishnbiker likes this.
  5. tbrown-bc

tbrown-bc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That picture on the the troll bridge came out well. ... but we didn't get pix of the troll until much farther into the trip (coming soon).

That leprechaun lake ... was truly stunning. We were riding through what I think of as typical "interior BC" terrain (think dry, faded greens and browns), and came around a corner and blamm... eye searing green.

I did manage to catch a shot of some of the animals circling that Yalakom River campsite. I scrambled up the hill from the campsite and tried to find an easier path back. I altered my return course a bit after a harrowing wildlife encounter...

[​IMG]

... it was not until after the Nakusp gathering that I heard and came to appreciate the term "land shark".

Great trip, great day 1 description! thanks David! -Tom
  6. Tyrepower

Tyrepower Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Keep it coming, good read here. Would love to get over your way one day and ride some of this country.
  7. rboett

rboett posser noob 205

Oddometer:
    nice,, don't feed the trolls!!
  8. Gale B.T.

Gale B.T. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I always love to see what I am missing, keep 'er going Gunner:)
    gale
  9. BCBackRoads

BCBackRoads Travels with Gumby

Oddometer:
    Looks like a good start. I'll be following along to see where you end up.

Cheers, Wayne
  10. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
  11. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Day 2
    [​IMG]
    The weather looked promising first AM
    [​IMG]
    Tom had his bike packed in record time..
    [​IMG]
    Feasting on instant oatmeal, what is it about this stuff? You eat 2 packets for breakfast and 15 minutes later your starving again...
    [​IMG]
    Heading up the valley..
    [​IMG]
    This was the camp I was debating on using, but it is 1500' higher elevation and much colder at night..
    [​IMG]
    In the interior they have small trees but large picnic tables... On the Island they have large trees and small picnic tables... Makes sense I guess...
    [​IMG]
    I couldn't ride past this.
    [​IMG]
    I asked the guys whadya think?
    [​IMG]
    They gave the Siskel, Ebert and Roper reply...
    [​IMG]
    We reached the meadows and headed east on the Yalacom to Big Bar trail.. {Pic from previous ride}
    [​IMG]
    I asked the guys if they wanted to do the hard route or the easy route...
    [​IMG]
    They picked the easy route of course, I neglected to tell them that there was no hard route..
    [​IMG]
    This trail is quite long with lots of scenic bits..
    [​IMG]
    The hills were still slippy from the rains, Chris got crossed up when his wheels got in an argument over which rut to ride in..
    [​IMG]
    Tom and I ran back to help, because I had the camera I had no free hands so I decided to take a picture or two...
    [​IMG]
    Lane
    [​IMG]
    Tom
    [​IMG]
    We went through several burns, some of them have a spooky look...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Lane got crossed up on this long hillclimb and we all stopped to help... But because I had the camera I had no free hands, so I decided the only way to help was to take a picture or two...
    [​IMG]
    Traffic jam
    [​IMG]
    At the top of the climb..
    [​IMG]
    Lane and Chris decided to make a summit attempt
    [​IMG]
    Lane reached the summit in record time, 7,000+ ft..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The 640 on top...

SMURPH, rideittoday, Watercat and 4 others like this.
  12. tbrown-bc

Oddometer:
    Meadows shot from this ride:
    [​IMG]

Click here for a BIG panoramic view

Another Big Panoramic view from the top of China Head.

You can move the rocks to the top of a mountain ... boys will still go and play on them:

[​IMG]

Looking down on Fraser R valley toward big-bar ferry:
    [​IMG]

Same thing but zoomed in a bit to show the amazing view and landscape

[​IMG]

Viewpoint on the top of the E side of the Fraser Valley on the way to Dog Creek. I have more of these, but I wanted to show the crowd of confused tourists :)

[​IMG]

... and if you pretend this is a sunset (really a sunrise), we can use it to close out day 2 ... at the provincial campsite on Big Bar Lake:

[​IMG]

-Tom
    Watercat, camrynholt, 1hotxc and 4 others like this.
  13. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Great shots Tom...

Day 2 Continued...
    [​IMG]
    Another shot looking down the valley, it is amazing how quickly it changes from forest to desert..
    [​IMG]
    Lane
    [​IMG]
    Twin 640s, not identical twins though...
    [​IMG]
    Within sight of the ferry
    [​IMG]
    Here's a picture from the old west
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Tom enjoying the view
    [​IMG]
    Looking South down the canyon
    [​IMG]
    Big Bar lake, home for night 2
  14. Raconnol

Raconnol Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like you guys had a fantastic trip, thanks for sharing!!

Perhaps it is just force of habit, but I find myself keenly checking each picture of the back of Tom's bike:
    Is his gear still there?!?! How about now.?!?! :)

Rick

[​IMG]
    uintamts likes this.
  15. borscht zanetti

borscht zanetti Pura Vida ! ... eh?

Oddometer:
    Great pics ! I love how the terrain changes in BC. Never gets old.

Hey Gunner, what is that rear tire you are running on your 640 ?
  16. Catastrophic Failure

Catastrophic Failure Catastrophic Failure

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great area to explore. Great to see another guy riding a 2003 Silver 640 ADV - and taking all the pictures :clap:clap
  17. tbrown-bc

Oddometer:
    Slapping me upside the head with $$ to replace a tent (twice!!) ... I do eventually learn. That big orange duffle has everything I used to strap to the rack... so I can't lose it one piece at a time, and it is easier to secure. The little black bag on the top was just my "overflow", e.g. snacks, groceries for dinner, etc.

Note that the trees are crooked in that landslide shot. That was probably the difference between the Hard and Easy paths :).

Chris and I are waiting for Layne to get a bit farther ahead as I preferred not to paddle through this.
    After rotating and cropping it looks a lot less scary (e.g. the easy route):
    [​IMG]
  18. Raconnol

Raconnol Long timer

Oddometer:
    We all loose stuff.

As noted previously, I left a nice pair of sunglasses on a tree when we left the campsite and Nitinat lake... How silly is that. :)

And yes, that path looks to be a bear for loaded ADV bikes.
    When I see big loose rocks on a climb such as this, I always wonder what how much I would like a steering damper.

Rick.
    camrynholt likes this.
  19. tbrown-bc

Oddometer:
    It might look harder than it was... we were crossing it, not climbing it (although it had its little ups and downs), so you were free to pick your speed/approach. I rode it standing, Layne paddled through it. Then again, the KLR isn't a particularily BIG bike. If you hit your chosen line, there were no big loose rocks. The trail was at the bottom of the slide, so a fall wasn't certain death :) ... all that said, yes, this was one of the trickier parts of the ride. David had warned us in advance :)
  20. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Good stuff.