10 Days to Play in B.C.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by gunnerbuck, Sep 6, 2016.

1. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    It's a Metzler Karoo 3 in a 140/80 x 18 size... I like it for longer trips as it gives good all around traction and will usually last 6000-8000 km which is above average for my tire life...

I am running one of the new Shinko 804s in 90/90x21 on the front for testing, I will not run this tire again as I find the tread depth too shallow and the tire profile to low which gives less rubber to protect the rims from denting..

Both tires are listed as tubeless, I have tubes in them..

Music:
  2. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Day 3
    [​IMG]
    Day 3 had us packing up bright and early
    [​IMG]
    Lane was leaving us to take care of his business... He had an electrical issue with his starter, that we traced to a faulty button or relay... In a short time he had gotten quite efficient in starting the bike with the kicker, engine hot or cold..
    [​IMG]
    This the first kick got it running, so long Lane... We saved the best riding for after you left...
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Not far from the campsite we jumped on a 13 km long quad trail that took us around Jesmond Mountain from the backside... It was fairly muddy, wet and greasy for the first half until we got around to the front of the mountain and started to climb.. A rest break before the steep bits..
    [​IMG]
    The climb up had some technical bits with bedrock shelves and boulder fields. The last bit just before this picture was the worst section... A lot of people make fun of the KLR, but truth be told it has one of the best chugging motors for climbing stuff if the suspension permits the power to go to the ground... Tom did a good job getting up here..
    [​IMG]
    Looking down from around 6,400 ft, we are on the last summit on the north end of the Marble range..
    [​IMG]
    This image is looking northward as the mountain tapers away to a plateau..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    1,970 meters = 6,463 feet
    [​IMG]
    Inside a forest fire lookout station
    [​IMG]
    Tom pointing out the days route
    [​IMG]
    On the way down
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Working the switchbacks
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Back into the timber and onto the front side trail, it is in much better shape than the backside quad trail... 11 KM to a main road off the front side trail..
    [​IMG]
    Larry set his tent here last year, I wonder if any of these fallen rocks are where his tent was
    [​IMG]
    We only stopped here long enough to cook lunch, then headed off to explore empire valley
    [​IMG]
    Heading into the grasslands park
    [​IMG]
    The colors of this mountain were fantastic, the camera didn't capture that
    [​IMG]
    This bike makes me look short
    [​IMG]
    Chris looks like a cattle rustler
    [​IMG]
    3 amigos
    [​IMG]
    Then we heard and could see this truck roaring down off the mountain towards us, I figured "Oh Great, Chris and his cattle rustler look has gotten us into trouble... I moved the bikes out of the way hoping the truck would scoot by, but he came to a screeching halt beside us... He said "leave the bikes, I just came to B.S".... Turns out he had the empire valley grazing lease and ran a fairly large herd of cattle... He gave us a bunch of area intel chatting it up with us for about an hour and a half... We finally had to get going as we were burning daylight..
  3. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Heading back down through Empire Valley, I like Chris's Power Ranger helmet...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The Grasslands behind us, just stunning country... The sad part is the Gang ranch trail is been widened and turned into a logging truck hwy, the old Gang Ranch sign over the road has been torn down to make way for the widening... I guess the Ranch owners must of signed a deal with the logging companies to allow them to truck logs from the forests behind the grasslands preserve through their property... They are going to be running loads day and night with those triple train logging trucks through the ranch lands...
    [​IMG]
    Shortly after this photo we hit where the road widening had been taken place, and it was a mess so we decided to hop on a side trail...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    One thing, when you are the guide, it makes you the guinea pig... I tried to skirt around this boggy section and ended up churning into deep mud on the side, I ended up dropping into the water and found it much better going..
    [​IMG]
    After watching my follies the guys knew which was the better option
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Big puddle, small puddle we found out that most of the time the best line was through the middle, but from past experiences I have learned never to trust grey water..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    More golden grasslands
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    We scouted above the old homestead on the Chilco river to see if there was room for us to camp
    [​IMG]
    It was already late in the day when we were finally set up and could relax..
    [​IMG]
    I used the flash on my camera to scare the critters out of our camp, was a beautiful warm night , a fitting finish to the day
  4. lagbc

lagbc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome trip, looking forward to see next posts and pictures!
  5. tbrown-bc

tbrown-bc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just a couple more day 3 pix to add perspective... David outdid me by far in both quality and quantity of the shots he took.

sunrise over big bar lake.
    [​IMG]

rest stop to check the (iron) horses before the assault on the most difficult ride of the whole trip (the climb to Jesmond Lookout)... yes, the KLR did just fine (thanks), but she is a bit scarred from the prior months of teaching me the ropes :).

[​IMG]

here's a link to a BIG panoroma from the summit. (Turns out my phone makes taking [mediocre] panoramas trivial... and if you do things like walk around the lookout's veranda while you're adding to the panorma, you can capture better views than actually exist... and the viewing apps on the phone are cool too! :)

One of the things that stands out in the above panorama is just how big/long the powerlines are... speaking of which, here's looking back up at the summit after the descent.
    [​IMG]

Before the churn creek lunch stop, we had to cross the "gang ranch" suspension bridge. Apparently the temperature extremes, the winds that howl up the valley, and the sheer remoteness all combined to make this bridge quite a challenge to design and build.

[​IMG]

more of the grasslands... just can't overdo the grasslands, that was $^!*@ amazing.

[​IMG]

The farwell canyon campsite seen from above/down-river.

[​IMG]

And for the unconventional shot of the day, or Grandma's "Always wear your helmet" lecture...

[​IMG]

The canyon Hoodoo shots needed the morning light, e.g. they will be in Day 4. Thanks for reading! -Tom
    camrynholt likes this.
  6. chriswh86

chriswh86 250 Explorer

Oddometer:
    Stunning couple of days so far! Hell of a tour guide Gunner, some of those trails look like they would be a lot of fun. I will keep an eye out for the updates to this ride
  7. 00Buck

00Buck dirt rules

Oddometer:
    An awesome area to ride, enjoying the pics.
  8. naotweed

naotweed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's like stone soup you have to upgrade. Add some trail mix, honey, dried fruit, bald eagle tears, unicorn hoof.... you know.

Great trip, thanks for posting a RR. Can't wait to see where you get to next.
  9. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    looking forward to more!
  10. mpreds

mpreds n00b

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great trip! Glad the weather held out for you.
  11. Bugzy

Bugzy 2014 VStrom DL1000a

Oddometer:
    I would love to see a map of where you guys went for this trip, lots of nice areas in there.
    camrynholt likes this.
  12. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    We'll post an overview on day 6..
  13. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Travelling music
    naotweed likes this.
  14. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Day 4
    [​IMG]
    First thing in the AM the weather look promising, but we knew rain was coming to the Chilcotin so we charted a course in a South East direction chasing fairer weather...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Looking down upon where the olden days bridge used to cross...
    [​IMG]
    And the newer span across the Fraser
    [​IMG]
    We bombed some hwy to Williams Lake for breaky and resupply then bombed for the back road out of Canim Lake. We had a lot of miles to make this day so did not have as many stops or pictures taken by me.. Hopefully Tom can fill in some blanks
    [​IMG]
    We did ride quite a bit of mossy track which passed by many pretty little lakes
    [​IMG]
    Not long after these pics were taken I was climbing a hill on an overgrown grassy track and went to ride around the end of a downed tree that was partially blocking the trail.. As I rode up to the top of the tree I had to jam on the brakes to keep from running over a lynx which was sleeping right beside the tip of the tree... The lynx slowly got to his feet and just looked at me, kinda like a little kid rubbing the sleep from his eyes... It then slowly meandered a few feet up the trail and stopped again, because I was on a steep spot I could not get a photo so I rode up to a flat spot beside the lynx and started to pull the camera out.. Just then Chris rode up and the lynx stepped into the trees and I missed the shot... Tom said he may of captured some on the gopro, but from the distance he was away it may not work out.. Oh well, was a fine moment for the memory bank..
    [​IMG]
    We rode quite a distance before popping out at Clearwater, where we topped the tanks and hit the road again to Vavenby, from there we rode backroads to Adams lake..
    [​IMG]
    There was a couple riders from Victoria just ahead of us who got the waterfront spot ...
    [​IMG]
    I picked my spot here
    [​IMG]
    In no time I was set up and ready for a dip in the lake, there is the famous shorts from the day 3 picture, hope the glare off my white legs did not blind anyone..
    [​IMG]
    This was our spot for the night
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    And down to the lake for a swim... I kind of feel a connection to this lake as it is home to the worlds largest Sockeye run and they spawn the shores around the lake... The coastal town I grew up in relied heavily on this run of salmon and for 100 yrs the run provided a good portion of the income for that town..
    [​IMG]
    It was nice to swim in that lake and to boot the water temp was quite pleasant...
    [​IMG]
    The riders from Victoria even had tents for their motorcycles... This was my last picture of the day..
    jackalsour, camrynholt and City Rider like this.
  15. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    another awesome rr.
    the lynx experience would be special. no doubt.
  16. dogon2whls

dogon2whls Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jesus H fucking Christ . . . This trip and these pics are exactly why I got my DR . This is literally my backyard and I will ride these trails , mark my words . . .

Gunner' , got a trip planned for next year ?
  17. tbrown-bc

tbrown-bc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't have much for Day 4. I've got a fair number of GoPro clips, but that mostly just documented that we rode on a lot of highway, a fair bit of mainline gravel, and some wonderful narrow lightly overgrown roads like the one with the Lynx. A few clips of us doing U-Turns due to the "offset" GPX track. This will take a while, hopefully I won't be out of sequence by the time I hit submit.

The promised Hoodoo shot:
    [​IMG]
    (big version)
    big zoomed in panoramic hoodoo pic.

Riding into Williams lake for breakfast and groceries:
    [​IMG]

Another view of that "nowhere" rest-stop. David was looking for somewhere interesting to stop... and looking, and looking...
    [​IMG]
    ... it is still picturesque... but not thrilling.

Here's the setting for David's lake picture... This was the Boundary Lake recreation site.
    [​IMG]

hhmm, going through the video, it is relatively easy to pull frames that show things that caught me off guard... but first a little context.

Riding by Lac La Hache (Between Williams lake and 103 Mile "house" were we gassed up and cut East towards Canim Lake):
    [​IMG]
    ... yup standard highway riding (and bug splatter).

Mainlines, and to be honest, we were pretty lucky with the dust... but we didn't manage to avoid it:
    [​IMG]

In that context, the quiet little overgrown roads were really nice!
    [​IMG]

Of course, riding sweep means that your stories about the big scary lynx don't generally go over so well
    [​IMG]

And sometimes the leader just seems to go off into right field... leaving the rest of us going what? Is that even a path?
    [​IMG]

And little surprises like this honking big yellow monster on the nice quiet grassy path
    [​IMG]

And there were chunks of trail that just didn't match what I expected for "the TCAT". Not complaining, just a little surprised...
    [​IMG]

... ok, that's it for stills from video.

Back at the campsite.... Not to dismiss David and Chris, but the neighbours at Adams lake were a great bunch. The Victoria riders David mentioned had done some serious adventure riding, and this bus pulled in well after sunset:
    [​IMG]
    The French Canadian driving it said he usually had a KLR lashed on the back which he lifts up with the davit there. Say's it's a two minute job. Neat guy and a neat bus!

And yes, the lake was nice. We were too late to swim at Big Bar Lake, the Yalakom is melt water, and the Chilcotin at Farwell was both cold and fast... not easy to get clean in. One story David hasn't shown is that there was often a laundry line strung out... but with us often arriving late and leaving early, it didn't work well.

dogon2whls: I hear you loud and clear. Part of what got me hooked was David's stories and pix.

-Tom
  18. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    I forgot to mention that the ride to Adams Lake was the most dangerous part of the journey... This was because of the nut case driving that the loggers in their pickup trucks were doing on the mountain switchbacks... I met at least 3 trucks in the corners coming my way that were in out of control slides all over the road.. I only had time to shake my fist at 2 of them, the 3rd had me doing evasive maneuvers to prevent from being taken out... I think work safe B.C. should stake out that road around quitting time...
    naotweed likes this.
  19. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Maybe the tears or the hoof could be added, but not the trail mix or dried fruit, that stuff we have bags of for our mid day meal, wouldn't want to have it for breakfast too... On longer rides where your camping all the time like this there are some things you get tired of, one of them is trail mix, another is rice...
    naotweed likes this.
  20. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    I will be doing a ride next year again for sure, pretty much every summer since 2003 I have gone on some kind of extended ride through middle B.C.... If it's a dry summer next year maybe Taseko and the back way into the Blackwater could be on the agenda... Hopefully I will have my main 640 refreshed by then..