1. Livestream NOW at 11AM PST / 2PM EST!
    Baldy Interviews + Noraly "Itchy Boots" from Youtube YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

10 Days to Play in B.C.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by gunnerbuck, Sep 6, 2016.

1. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    More travelling music
  2. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Day 5
    We woke up early and hit the road out of Adams Lake, weather wise it was a perfect clear still day
    [​IMG]
    Less than an hour of riding we came up upon a chain of beautiful lakes...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The water was like glass
    [​IMG]
    We had to stop here for a while and take it in..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    3 swans on the lake
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The next one coming up was just as spectacular..
    [​IMG]
    Just a perfect morning for photos
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Wildlife moment of the day, blending in..
    [​IMG]
    And then soaring, which is what we felt we were doing on these early morning scenic tracks..
    [​IMG]
    The riding was fun, fun ,fun for a while, then it wavered when we hit a bit of mainline logging road...
    [​IMG]
    And a bit later we were once again teasing the trolls..
    [​IMG]
    We took the Seymour arm logging road and it started to go to skinny more interesting roads.. We climbed upwards to a pass that must of been around 6000' because we were on a long decent on the other side to get to the valley bottoms..
    [​IMG]
    Near the top of the pass it looks like there were some lightning strikes, which set some spot fires..
    [​IMG]
    The road down was very scenic, but it reminded me a lot of Vancouver Island so I didn't take many pictures..
    [​IMG]
    We figured this might be the last water source we would see in a while that we could drink without treating ... We took advantage and all filled up our reservoirs...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    We had traveled down for quite a distance and still were 2,000-3,000 ft above Shushwap Lake..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    We ended up climbing over another pass which had some pristine Alpine meadows, I don't know why I didn't take any photographs as it was some of the most scenic of the day.. I guess it was the late afternoon lazies...

[​IMG]
    We came out on hwy 1 near Revelstoke and managed to catch a side road to avoid a traffic jam which allowed us to speed down and catch the Galena ferry with 10 minutes to spare.. This was the longest we stretched our fuel supply and Tom was riding on reserve... I gave him a liter from my camp stove bottle to make sure we could make Nakusp..
    [​IMG]
    And we did... This was probably the quietest and least crowded camping area we stayed at.. The shirt on that bike is a throwback to the sixties and early seventies when Redhed was ruling the world.. He would ride with us for a bit on day 7...
    [​IMG]
    There was absolutely no snoring or farting coming from the sleeping area in the middle of the night, it was so very quiet...
    [​IMG]
    It looks much more crowded in the picture than it actually is, some tents had more than a 14" spacing from the next..
  3. varago

varago Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ORFORD and Rawdon, Qc, cold almost all time
    Nice RR, beautiful pics, thx for sharing.
    gunnerbuck likes this.
  4. tbrown-bc

tbrown-bc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hhmm, I saw lots of hawks and osprey, but none close enough to photograph.

The only big wildlife I remember getting pix of was the troll. Obviously a fully adult specimen, and well established (a chair!) at the bridge David showed above (a km or two NE of Seymour Arm).
    [​IMG]

was a fine place for a bridge, too.
    [​IMG]

Incoming ferry at shelter bay.
    [​IMG]

On board said ferry
    [​IMG]
    (click for big version)

Most everything else I have is an overlap of what David posted. The chain of lakes, was the Momich Lakes... very pretty. -Tom
    chriswh86 and UpCan67 like this.
  5. MT VIKING

MT VIKING Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great ride. Do you have GPS tracks?
  6. tbrown-bc

Oddometer:
    I believe David is waiting on me to do a little merging/cleaning of GPX tracks ... should be done today. -Tom
    camrynholt likes this.
  7. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Couldn't agree more with that statement, took the smile off my face a month back. Complete lack of courtesy and terrible driving....I was forced rapidly to the shoulder at least twice on the west side of the lake....nowhere near as bad on the east side or further north of Adams Lake. Still, this is pretty unusual on BC's backroads....so my bad experiences on the west-side Adams lake rd. stands out, I guess.
    Agate Bay is pretty weird too!
    Doesn't look like you visited the Hidden bay camping spot.....exceptionally nice and ....quite 'hidden' too. No signs mark the path in. 51°21'41.81"N 119°27'23.79"W
    00Buck likes this.
  8. tbrown-bc

Oddometer:
    Looks like David has been busy, he's given me the ok to post the route and I'll add a few teaser pix too.

On this map... Our track is the thick blue line. I laid the TCAT (trans canada adventure trail) BC routes on top in the thin red so you can see that much of what we followed was from the TCAT.

Here's a screen shot of the google map. On the map you can zoom in to whatever level you like :)

[​IMG]
    My apologies for the gap over China Head, I either turned off the gps at a stop and forgot to turn it back on, or the batteries ran out and I didn't notice for a bit.

We basically started and ended in Vancouver. We crossed our track just W of Lillooet. The inbound track is from the Southwest and goes North from the crossover... the main loop is clockwise.

Teasers...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

edit: raw gpx files are here. (the timestamps in those files are anonymized.)
    jackalsour, 00Buck, naotweed and 3 others like this.
  9. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    Distance: 94.2 miles
    Duration: 15 minutes and 16 seconds
    Average Speed: 370.1 mph
    Minimum Elevation: 2802 feet
    Maximum Elevation: 4101 feet
    Total climb: 1512 feet
    Total descent: 344 feet

you guys must have been flying!
    camrynholt likes this.
  10. tbrown-bc

Oddometer:
    Ahh, right, I _always_ anonymize the timestamps on my published tracks. No point self-documenting that you were keeping up with traffic and everyone was speeding. If you look carefully, you'll see all the tracks start at the same time, and all the points are 2 seconds apart... so, yeah, speeds calculated from the tracks will be wrong, that was basically by intent... sorry if I removed some useful info. -Tom
    00Buck likes this.
  11. MT VIKING

MT VIKING Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing your tracks. We may try and ride the route next year.
  12. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Thanks Tom for refreshing this thread, I'll get back soon to continue, been busy changing up some of the routes on the Island TCAT sections to add in some more scenic country into it...
    naotweed likes this.
  13. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Day 6
    This was a lazy day for us, we hung out at the HUBB and listened to a few chat sessions, looked at bikes, watched some of the skills competitions and just hung around BSing with other riders... The forecasted rain for the day only amounted to a few showers, with the heaviest shower coming while we sat around the fire in the evening driving all of us to our tents for an early night.. There was a pretty good wind kicking up at times, blowing tents and tarps around.. I did not take any pictures on this day, maybe Tom or Chris have some to add...

Some music:
    naotweed likes this.
  14. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Once again we hopped on the ferry across the lake, this time it was full of bikes, the difference was when we got off the ferry we turned left onto the dirt road down the lake while the rest of the bikes kept right staying on the pavement...
    [​IMG]
    The weather really cleaned up overnight into another perfect riding day..
    [​IMG]
    And we had Dave{Redhed} along for a while
    [​IMG]
    Here Chris was in contact with Power Ranger ground control informing us they wanted to talk to Major Tom..
    [​IMG]
    The road started out with long stretches of sameness with the odd flash of awesome...
    [​IMG]
    Once again the troll disturbance squad..
    [​IMG]
    We carried on towards Edgewood, and before Whatshan River, played find the right road for a while, taking a few interesting pokes around before we found the correct path.. Was some nice riding, I wish I took more pictures
    [​IMG]
    We stopped at Whatshan Lake before heading into Edgewood for resupply and to say so long to Dave as he had a schedule...
    [​IMG]
    I talked with a biologist at the lake who was out gathering hatchery roe, to try save the Kokanee on these lakes... He said the biggest threat is coming from the urban sprawl of cabins around all of these lakes... He was even concerned about Adams lake as the cabins are starting to pop up along the shores of what should be one of the most protected lakes in B.C.
    [​IMG]
    Seen a couple bears this day, but Elmer Fudd must of switched from rabbits to bears in this country because they are very camera shy...
    [​IMG]
    The road from Edgewood to Greenwood just kept getting more and more interesting..
    [​IMG]
    Another stop to water up..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    A very pretty river that we would of camped beside if it was a little earlier in the day..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    We rode through to the old Phoenix mine/townsite, not much left but some tailings ponds, holes in the ground and a couple of cemeteries..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    We looked for somewhere in Greenwood that had sarsaparalla but ended up stopping at the Quickee Mart for a squishy instead..
    [​IMG]
    We asked the girl in the store where was a good camping spot? She said Jewell Lake even though she had never been there... We left with images of camping on a nice sandy beach and swimming in the lake.. Tom, deep in thought picturing some palm trees and volleyball pits in the sand along the shore of this lake we're going to...

[​IMG]
    It was confusing at first, but it soon became apparent that we were camped at a lake campground with no lake.. The sites were tidy but there really wasn't any lake access... That was all for this day..
    jackalsour likes this.
  15. chriswh86

chriswh86 250 Explorer

Oddometer:
    What are we looking at here Tom? I cant see a Grizzly hump but the color wants to lead me to believe it is infact a Griz?

..As the local girl says to her friend in the store, "These bikers were in today, they asked about a place to go camping, I told them Jewell Lake, LOL"

Thats to bad though, I guess everyone see's a spot in a different way.
  16. tbrown-bc

Oddometer:
    It is a teaser, and I am no expert. I am sure David will cover it, and provide better pictures, when he gets to day 10. -Tom
    chriswh86 likes this.
  17. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    That is 100% black bear, with a bit of a cinnamon coat... As to where bears on the island pretty much only sport the black coloration, bears in the interior seem to have more variety in coloration and around the Chilco/Cariboo region there seems to be many with the brown coloration.. The lack of the hump and the gentler less pointy face are more black bear traits.
    chriswh86 likes this.
  18. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Music:
  19. chriswh86

chriswh86 250 Explorer

Oddometer:
    That is quite a bit different from island bears!
  20. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Day 8
    [​IMG]
    Next morning we were up early to do a bit of exploring, first off we rode some rail bed trail... Can't forget to tease the trolls...
    [​IMG]
    The whole bank of this creek is solid coal..
    [​IMG]
    We pulled up beside what I though at first was a muffler from a first generation KLR..
    [​IMG]
    After a second look I relized that this was way too light to be a KLR muffler... So we decided to investigate further..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A little area history write up here:http://www.crowsnest-highway.ca/cgi-bin/citypage.pl?city=GREENWOOD
    jackalsour, 00Buck and naotweed like this.