1. Livestream NOW at 11AM PST / 2PM EST!
    Baldy Interviews + Noraly "Itchy Boots" from Youtube YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

10 Days to Play in B.C.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by gunnerbuck, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    What tire selection is best for the 03 640? Metzler Karoo Front and rear?
    Thanks.
  2. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Music continued:

[​IMG]
    A while later we were back on the trail and the morning was heating up, so we stopped to shed.. The first bit of trail out of Greenwood was pretty nice and it looked like it was not going to let us through in a few spots but eventually we popped onto a freshly graded road that was soft and silty so it kept us from daydreaming... We popped out into some nice farm country and then crossed a highway and climbed some steep switchbacks into the Okanagon highlands..
    [​IMG]
    We stopped for a break and met one logging truck, the first one we had seen since Clearwater..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    We spent a couple hrs riding on the Plateau between 4000'-5500' on roads like this, we made good time..
    [​IMG]
    With the odd rest stop
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    A couple bears, big ones too
    [​IMG]
    Wait a tick, not bears, bovids, a close relative to the troll...
    [​IMG]
    Hey guys, whats up there?
    [​IMG]
    Nice...
    Shortly after taking this picture I was crossing a dry creek bed when a rock rolled out pushing my front wheel sideways... I dabbed to stop from going over and managed to hook my foot in the rocks, so down went me and the bike, the result was a sore foot, but nothing broken... And nobody got a picture, so it never happened..
    [​IMG]
    And onto some more nice roads and the road caretakers.. After that we popped out at Lumby, took on supplies and blasted a bit of hwy in a quest for a good camping spot..
    [​IMG]
    We hopped on a scenic dirt road that took us into the Douglas lake range lands and found this nice lake..
    [​IMG]
    I asked the guys, "whadya think?" And after the usual discussion about it being too crowded, the ground too hard and noisy birds we decided it would have to do
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Then came the race to set up the tents... Not to toot my own horn, but on this trip Yours truly did pretty good in the tent setup competition, I always managed to finish in the top 3...
    [​IMG]
    And I did it again
    [​IMG]
    Chris claimed he was first as the fly doesn't count... I like how Chris parked his bike, if it falls over it has something soft to land on..

[​IMG]
    Tom didn't care about the tent race, he was busy washing his stuff in this beautiful lake, which is actually the name of the lake...
    [​IMG]
    How fitting, "Washing Stuff Lake"
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    All for this day..
    Watercat, jackalsour, 00Buck and 5 others like this.
  3. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    I wont use the Karoo up front as the tread depth is too shallow, it is alright as a more pavement oriented tire.. I go through a lot of rubber so I often experiment to try find the best tire for the buck... So far up front the best to fit that category is the Shinko 700, this is a real good all around tire that works great on these longer trips..

If I expect to be doing more trail and less groomed dirt roads then I may go for a more aggressive knob pattern on the back over the Karoo 3, like maybe a Mitas EO-9 or Dunlop 908... I like the Mitas c-17 up front but they wear quick, or the MT-21..
    naotweed likes this.
  4. tbrown-bc

tbrown-bc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Best I can figure, that muffler was the flue for a big coke oven (coke basically being "cooked" coal, and an important ingredient in steel making).

The tunnel up the slope was probably just a way of making a much taller flue/chimney without the engineering challenges.

Judging by the residue on the walls, I'm glad I wasn't around when it was being used:
    [​IMG]

the "side tunnels" that ran beside the main oven seem to have provided access to the draft doors...
    [​IMG]

and as always, the skateboard kids were here first (main oven).

[​IMG]

I could go on, but a) I'm no expert and just guessing, and b) it doesn't have much to do with riding :)

As for the lake campsite, that was gorgeous. Very alive (lots of splashes). The only gotcha was the tell-tale signs of cattle, and perhaps the worry that we'd have bovine company before we were done.

[​IMG]
    Watercat, 00Buck, eaglescan and 3 others like this.
  5. crashkorolyk

crashkorolyk just happy to ride

Oddometer:
    Great R.R. and pictures,easy to forget how wonderful it is in our back yard sometimes,thanks for sharing!
    SMURPH likes this.
  6. camrynholt

camrynholt ThePannierReport.com

Oddometer:
    Thanks for these! What an awesome ride!
  7. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer:
    Great trip and pics!
  8. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    We're nearing the end of this ride report, I'll try to get a little spiel up after day 10 on what I pack on these rides, after yrs of bike camping you kinda refine what you carry...
  9. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Day 9
    [​IMG]
    Tom is always up early, I lazed a bit in my tent this AM, rested my foot for a while...
    [​IMG]
    I was jeez, this is starting to look like a hobo camp..
    [​IMG]
    Of course our camp was set perfectly behind this tree which prevented the suns rays from drying our tents..
    [​IMG]
    So we moved the tents into the sun and let them dry while we were doing other projects
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    We built this raft to get our bikes to the trail on the other side of the lake...
    [​IMG]
    But we decided just to ride the trail around the lake instead...
    [​IMG]
    Couldn't have been any better weather, the Douglas Lake range lands were very scenic.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Douglas Lake Ranch HQ
    We cut cross country and took some top shelf scenic HWY alongside Nicola lake, then past Merrit and down the Nicola Valley..
    jackalsour and camrynholt like this.
  10. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    This music brings me back to riding the grasslands
  11. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Back to desert
    [​IMG]
    As you ride down the Nicola Valley the lush green farmland gradually dries up and soon we were back on desert trails..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The Thompson River below
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    And down to a rest stop in the shade where the trolls are..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Lots of history along this route..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    These abandoned homesteads have a lot of scrap iron left, probably still be there in 100 yrs cause stuff don't rust when it is so dry..
    [​IMG]
    See them?
    [​IMG]
    2 young Bighorn Rams
    [​IMG]
    We had lunch in Cache Creek and then head for the Hat Creek country
    [​IMG]
    And just like that, out of the desert and onto some more grassy track
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    great flow to these trails
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    While crossing this creek Chris got jumped by a troll, it tried to tear his tank bag off and go with it but Tom coming up scared it away
    [​IMG]
    Never the less we had to make a hasty repair, zipties to the rescue..
    [​IMG]
    Back on our way
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    We started to gain elevation and the trails started to get wetter
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Then at around 6000 ' we came across just a horror show mess, everything was covered with mud, high cut stumps, crap every where and the trail through it was an absolute mess..
    [​IMG]
    Then a couple KM down the trail we see this, I guess this sign only applies to non corporate interests...
    [​IMG]
    Last rest stop before we make a 5000' decent into Lillooet.. It was too late in the day to hop the river ferry for the west side route which was an option considered..
    [​IMG]
    Laundry day at the campsite
    [​IMG]
    Pretty amazing rugged country around Lillooet, this was the last picture of a long day
  12. tradex56

tradex56 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :clapgreat adventure guys !!! Here in Italy we dream these limitless territories in touch with the true nature.
    SMURPH and 00Buck like this.
  13. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    For now we still have the spaces to wander here, but there is always somebody who wants control of the land... When they get it they will try to shut the public out, it is already happening to a point..
    naotweed likes this.
  14. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Music:
  15. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Day 10
    [​IMG]
    The next morning we stopped at the fishing camp along the Fraser, but they were already abandoned, it was a poor year for fishing..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    A couple shots on our way up to the Bridge canyon
    [​IMG]
    Lots of places you do not want to go off the road, no guard rails, must be fun in the winter on the snow and ice.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Canyon lookout
    [​IMG]
    We spotted what looked like a couple trolls..
    [​IMG]
    Zoomed in it looks like gold prospectors
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Tom and I played leapfrog picture taking
    [​IMG]
    Not very many of mine were worth posting
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Bridge Canyon is an awesome ride
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I stopped for wildlife, and along comes Tom..
    [​IMG]
    Is he going to go by, nope, maybe he sees that arm reaching out to grab him.. Do you see it?
    [​IMG]
    You see a little more in this frame..
    [​IMG]
    Chris rides back past us does a circle and rides past us again, he did not notice the bear, or maybe he did and was smarter than us..
    [​IMG]
    This bear settled down but the other one is hiding in the grass near me...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Some shots along Carpenter lake
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The glacier run off gives this lake the pretty color
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    As we get further along the sky starts to look nasty so we stop to put on the wet gear and batten down the hatches
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Rain the way we are headed
    [​IMG]
    Our Group shot
    [​IMG]
    Watercat, jackalsour, 00Buck and 4 others like this.
  16. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    We hit a bit of rain then it lightened up enough for us to pay a visit to the old mine above Brailorne
    [​IMG]
    Toms found this piece of pipe to build into some pannier racks for his bike, you should of seen it when he had it strapped across the back of the KLR..
    [​IMG]
    Over a 100 years of Gold mining in this country and there still is an active mine working it..
    [​IMG]
    This was for mixing drinks..
    [​IMG]
    They used the slope to help in the milling process... The material went in at the top and gravity helped to move it down to the different stages of breakdown... The fine gold was sifted out in the last stage in the tumblers..
    [​IMG]
    This picture of Chris turned out to be my last shot of the 10 day Adventure... We soon hit some heavier rain as we raced to get over the pass and try for a ferry to the Island... Tom and I hustled along missing the ferry by only 1 minute... Because of that we both ended up riding the Island in the dark from Nanaimo, he to the South, me to the North...

Thanks to Chris, Tom, Lane and Dave for tagging along, having good company makes the ride that much more enjoyable... Looking forward to next year..

I hope it was a worthwhile read for you people following along..
  17. Chilipepper

Chilipepper Baja wannabe

Oddometer:
    Great report. Thanks for sharing it guys.
  18. dogon2whls

dogon2whls Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great ride , great story , great pics , thanks for sharing . . .

That one shot in the bridge canyon where the rock arches over the road epitomizes " adventure riding " , but then again , many of your shots make me want to pack up and see those places myself .
  19. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Outstanding! :clap
  20. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great report, many familiar places, some I'll still need to see for myself!
    That Bridge River canyon shot reminds me of mother nature's air-conditioning, which is still the best. If you've ridden it on a HOT day you'll know what I mean...
    Thanks!