10 Days to Play in B.C.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by gunnerbuck, Sep 6, 2016.

1. tbrown-bc

tbrown-bc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Day 4 (or Day 2), started according to the same pattern as always, me being the first up and David being the first packed (by far) and ready to go. Admittedly I ate well, and I did some housekeeping errands like:
    [​IMG]

.. trying to dry my boots. I came up with a version 2, which had the boots inverted on a 3 stick tripod with the same spreader. I bet it would have worked great if I had started the night before instead of 30 minutes before leaving :baldy

Finally I had my gear all packed, at which time it was "uhm, where did he go?"... I took this 360 panorama from out on the river bed whilst looking for David (click for big).
    [​IMG]

From there we headed back toward Campbell River... with a neat stop for a steep climb over Upper Campbell lake
    [​IMG]

... with a pretty alpine meadow scene:
    [​IMG]

but of course it isn't so pretty on either side.

David, doing his part to get "just the right" perspective:
    [​IMG]

David says that riding up in the clouds makes him feel like being in an airplane, so I had to take the matching shots of "Captain Williams, running through his pre-launch checklist"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the things that takes some getting used to with David is learning when he is giving you the straight goods, and when he's being humorous. There was no way I was going to believe him when he said he was going to take me down "Tom Brown Main". Oops, my bad.
    [​IMG]

... and that pretty much took us back to Campbell River, where I filled up with gas, and David washed his bike. Of course the skies opened cleaned me before I got back to Victoria. I did detour up the Cook Creek FSR and into the Cook Creek riding area on my way home. Will have to look into that, as there was a trail that looked _great_ on the topo maps, but it seemed to suddenly end at what was probably once a bridge.

[​IMG]

I crossed more than a few ditches on logging spurs in there too, including some challenging ones, but always ran into impassable ones. Cook Creek FSR is a fairly narrow road. After four days on wet gravel and mud I was feeling fairly good about my riding... but I didn't have much confidence in the cagers coming the other way :(

... and that probably wraps up my "bike camping" season.

Best wishes to everyone, and to those folks going "I wish ... ", trips like the 10 day ride are only a decision away.... If you're willing to pay the price (time, $$, relationship, etc). It certainly does not have to take a lot of $$... I'm proof of that :)

-Tom

2. Raconnol

Raconnol Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tom: "If you're willing to pay the price (time, $$, relationship, etc). It certainly does not have to take a lot of $$... I'm proof of that :)"

So true... I just booked $$$ trip to NZ late January to keep the Kiwi wife and NZ relations happy!
    I am still planning on take the ADV bike to Cooper Canyon in April, along with my son's trusty KLR; which looking more and more like Tom's everyday :)

However, if Mx falls through or I still have days available, I will be happy to join you guys next summer.

Sooo many rides... so little time!

Respectfully

Rick
    uintamts likes this.
  3. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    This bear #1 is definitely ready for hibernation, he's pretty well rounded from the fish diet...
    Great pictures Tom, thanks for posting
  4. chriswh86

chriswh86 250 Explorer

Oddometer:
    Great photos guys and a great write up from both. What a fun ride we had on Saturday, Tom you did awesome and proved the Elsie lake trail is definitely passable by totally crazy people that listen to strangers ;) But yes, it was really great and went off without any major concerns.

Wish I could have joined on Sunday, I really missed a great opportunity for some bear photos. Next time hopefully!
    naotweed likes this.
  5. Anjelli

Anjelli n00b

Oddometer:
    Nice report Tom and David, as always.....very much appreciated and enjoyed. This season is coming to an end far too early for me.
  6. squonker

squonker Stupid is the new norm

Oddometer:
    Only just came across this thread - always enjoy your RRs, David - thanks for sharing. Man, B.C. has some world class riding...

:thumbup
    naotweed likes this.
  7. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very nice to see such a fat n healthy-lookin bruin! He appears a tad on the large size, compared to some that I see.
  8. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    I go year around if the snow lets me, if it doesn't I have an engine to rebuild to keep me busy..
  9. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Looks like your on a Yang again... One minute you Ying out to the Island, the next You Yang back up North again... Hope your doing well in the NWT...

B.C. offers great riding and is one of the few places left where you can ride all day and not see another soul out there...
  10. squonker

squonker Stupid is the new norm

Oddometer:
    One day I will Ying back to the island, even if it's only temporarily. In the mean time thanks for keeping my appetite whetted.
  11. tbrown-bc

Oddometer:
    Still trying to get through the video editing work for the 10 day trip. I've done day 1, but that was relatively boring ... just us getting out to where we wanted to go. I _have_ just finished(?) the video for the bear-watching trip

I hope I can get through the other days of the 10 day ride... There IS some good footage in there, it's just a matter of sorting the wheat from the chaff and filling in the blanks with stills, and then messing with the audio, etc ...
    shuswap1 and Raconnol like this.
  12. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Nice video, does not look like the best of weather on the day you rode with Chris and Joel...
  13. tbrown-bc

Oddometer:
    No, it wasn't ... it was as wet as it can be without actually raining hard. For what it is worth, I have videos for days 1 and 2 of the 10 day ride. I am not sure if I'm better off dribbling them out as I get them finished, or releasing them all at once?
  14. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Either way works, sometimes I put a part 1 up a month before I even start on the next one...
  15. tbrown-bc

Oddometer:
    Dribs and Drabs it is then. I got these edited while bikeless AND waiting for valve shims, since the parts are here, my focus will likely return to the bike.

I'm going to list these out of order, Day 2 is IMHO far more attention grabbing than Day 1, that is a reflection of the terrain/track we rode. Day 1 was just getting out there. If you start with Day 1 you might not bother with Day 2, but the reverse is not true :)

Day 2 is the from the Yalakom FRS site, over China Head, down and across the Big Barr Ferry, SE to Clinton for dinner, and then N to Big Bar Lake for the Night.

Day 1 is from Pemberton, N via the highline (along Anderson Lake), through Seton Portage, over the hill to Carpenter Lake, then E and N up the Yalakom to the rec site.

16. tbrown-bc

Oddometer:
    Day 3 of the "10 days to play in bc" trip. We start at Big Bar Lake, head up to Jesmond Lookout, then head N and NW to Dog Creek, Churn Creek, up through the Gang Ranch and N over the grasslands, and then coming out at Farwell Canyon for the night.

17. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Those clips bring back memories, thanks for posting..
    It's too bad you didn't capture the rock shelf climb to the top of the lookout, you had a bit just at the start of it ... I did the same thing last year where I switched my camera off at the lake rest stop and forgot to turn it on in turn missing the grizzly charge..
  18. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    No matter how I try to capture interesting footage with the GoPro, I never seem to have it running at the right time. For instance, two years back we had something run across the road just ahead of us, seen by both riders, but to this day I have no idea what type of animal it was. Very fast, cat like but far to large for any BC cat species, jet black and with a very long tail. Crossed the very wide logging rd., up a 20' bank in one motion and gone.
    Your grizzly charge would have been just as big a miss, methinks.
  19. tbrown-bc

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Yes, not sure how I failed to capture that "top-of-Jesmond climb" ... I expect I got so into the technical riding that I forgot about shooting video.

I made a _lot_ of mistakes when it came to capturing the raw footage. Still making the most common one (setting the camera view too low, so it captures road and not the horizon). Much of what I was trying to do was just capture the basic "gist" of the ride: what we rode through, the forest, terrain, road, etc.

I got sufficiently tired of running out of GoPro battery that I got used to turning the camera off between shots, which makes it even slower to start. If you have spare batteries and time to stop and change them... AFAIK, all GoPro's have a loop mode which basically allows you to save the last XX minutes. Yes, you still need to trigger the camera, but you can do it after the fact.

p.s. always interested in feedback on the video editing...
  20. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    tbrown-bc likes this.