10 days to see western Canada

Discussion in 'Canada' started by bubbastew, Jul 23, 2019.

1. bubbastew

bubbastew strip miner Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am crossing the northern border on the fifth of August for ten days with 3 coworkers - riders . We will cross at blaine and then get with it for 10 days
    Thinking Banff and Jasper national park what all can we see or ride .any suggestions would be great.we will camp and maybe a hotel Midway thru the ride .give your best loop .
  2. misterk

misterk Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    make a run to Hyder AK, also explore se of revelstoke, good riding.
  3. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Get Banff and Jasper NP out of the system [sorry, IMO, it's a tourist motorhome gong show], and revel in the southern Okanagan, and the Kootenays, playing among the Monashee Mtn range, and those big lovely lakes. Hot Spring heaven.
    Northern Ninja, Lurkerlou and gepeze like this.
  4. gepeze

gepeze Adventurer

Oddometer:
    tourist motorhome gong show....... LOL can't agree more.
    Steve G. likes this.
  5. rob1313

rob1313 Still learning

Oddometer:
    Jasper / Banff are visually stunning but the other posters are correct. You'll be overrun with RV's and you can expect to be hammered on prices from everything from fuel to food to lodging. Lots of great riding in the areas suggested as well as Vancouver Island. Get your hands on a destination highways book for BC.
    Steve G. likes this.
  6. Fatallybitten

Fatallybitten Slow and getting slower Supporter

Oddometer:
    powderzone and Steve G. like this.
  7. ommoran

ommoran Experienced Newbie

Oddometer:
    I would disagree with the others - the Icefields parkway is busy, yes, but it's precisely because of how amazing it is. Totally worth it. See Lake Louise, which will be the hardest part traffic wise. Ride up to Jasper, and stay there for a night. It's one day. The ride out to Mount Robson is amazing from Jasper.

From there, the Okanagan is amazing. I would recommend a destination of Red Rock Garage.
    MGV8 likes this.
  8. wos

wos Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you really need that " park " experience I would do Waterton NP. For beautiful views of the mountain areas I would run up the Peter Lougheed provincial park and if you can do gravel split off onto hwy 742 and enjoy the spray lakes region.
    Lav1200, MGV8 and Steve G. like this.
  9. Lav1200

Lav1200 Pig Pen

Oddometer:
    I think one of the most scenic highways I have ever been on is #6 heading south from Pincher Creek into Waterton... pretty special vistas on that. If you prefer off-pavement - the Shell Rd coming off 774 is a blast to ride on a big bike AND amazing scenery.
    Steve G. likes this.